CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #171
James Compora

Profile:
Re: No one cares about your abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree. Yes, I'm tired of the same old thread from every newb asking essentially "how can I see my abs."

But except for a very small minority of women who cf and/or hold that opinion, let me tell you something, the opposite sex cares about your abs. No girl ever asked me my Fran time, how much I can BS, or even how much I can bench. Is that vain? Shallow? Maybe. But it remains the facts of life. Is seeking performance going to get you better abs then seeking abs to get better abs? I don't know.
thank you brian!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #172
Joshua Morgan

Profile:

I think what's desirable from the opposite sex changes a bit as they get older. My high school students are obsessed with arms and abs and so are the girls. The girls like the baseball players because a lot of them have abs. But then the running backs come into the gym and they start flocking them because their arms, backs, and shoulders are so much bigger with only carrying a slightly bit more fat...but they still have very visible abs.

My friends that have younger brothers in college want to know how to get arms and abs. They don't for the most part care about a squat or a deadlift. They do want to know how to have a big bench press though. Their girlfriends or my friends that have younger sisters in college for the most part don't care about how much is on the bar. Hell, they think you put a couple 45s on the bar and that's mammoth weight. But something along the lines of "take your shirt off" or "lift your shirt up" is thrown out and they want to feel biceps. They don't care about how big my quads are or my calves are...they just know that small legs and a larger upper body looks funny. So, to some extent, they do understand about complete aesthetics.

When I go to the pool, I get far more looks and side glances and double takes at 10% bodyfat and lower than when I'm sitting at 15% and higher. And with it being summer, tank tops and shirtless are far more common than when wearing more layers. Would I care if I didn't get a double look? Not necessarily but it is nice. And my wife likes that also. My wife also likes it when her co-workers say, "Your husband is hot, he works out a lot, huh?" She sure likes that a lot more than her co-workers saying, "Oh. That's your husband." In a shirt, I get comments about back width, shoulders, and arms. It's assumed then since there's no gut hanging out that the abdominals are visible.

I don't think anyone is deluding themselves to think that a person that has a chiseled midsection but is an idiot, has no personality, and etc is going to attract the opposite sex. But if we take two identical individuals as far as confidence, fun to be around, have a good sense of humor, etc etc and one is overweight and one has a very nice aesthetically pleasing midsection...

Is there anyone in here that doesn't just want to look good naked. We all want to be strong. We all want to be conditioned. We all want to perform better. But is there anyone in here that really just does not care if they don't look good at all naked?

When I go to the gym, my first thought is on getting stronger and in better condition. When I step in the mirror, aesthetics come to mind. I don't change my training to lose fat; I change my eating habits. The exception being if I want to add an inch or two onto my arms, I'm going to do some bicep and tricep isolation stuff at the end of my workouts.

My wife would love me even if I was fat, balding, and had hair all over my back (at least she says she does). But she definately doesn't discourage me from having a nice visible abdominal area. My wife isn't tall, so she doesn't have long legs. It's much easier and much more comfortable for her to be on top when I have less bodyfat than more...and that is a huge plus.

Someone cares about the aesthetics of the abdominal area when there's a multibillion dollar business surrounded around ab machines, magazines with ripped (photoshopped) models on the front, etc. Programs like P90x make a ton of money because they want to look better naked and also be in better shape. Gyms thrive because people want to lose fat, look better naked, and get in better shape (getting in better shape usually not as emphasized as how they want to look).

I think because we're on a Crossfit site we are predisposed to think that everyone should want to train this way...that performance should come first and aesthetics will eventually follow. I can tell you that my mom was obese and by finally being tired of looking fat, decided to change her diet habits and started going to the gym and doing cardio. Would I like her to squat and deadlift? Sure. But she's lost 170 pds by doing what she's doing and she's happy. Does it impact me if she leg presses or squats or if she db seated presses vs db push presses? Nope.

I tried to get my wife into a Crossfit type workout. Tried to get her into front squats and zercher squats and push presses. She hated it. She wants to leg press, she wants to do lat pulldowns, she wants to do seated cable rows, she wants to do hammer strength shoulder presses, she wants to do hip hop cardio classes, and ab classes. She's happy, she's healthier, her conditioning is better (albeit not as good as it might be), and she looks better naked.

I guess in my experience I've just seen aesthetics win over performance for most of the population.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #173
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

My abs are still changing the world. My arms too.

Last week, I was walking through the KMart parking lot, and as I approached the door, a guy standing outside said, "Look at her arms! How much do you bench press?" I ended up talking to him for 10 minutes, and he left with the contact information for my affiliate. Guess who showed up at the gym the other day?

Yesterday, I was at a camp family day wearing my purple sparkly bikini. One of the guys who worked there came up to me and said, "Hey, how long have you been lifting? Do you do full squats or half squats?" That resulted in a 20 minute conversation about squatting and how, no, no one should do "half" squats. They are putting together a gym for the camp, and he wanted my opinion on equipment. He also walked away with the contact information for my affiliate. He's a 6'6, 290 lb dude, and I'm really hoping to see him at the gym.

So, yes, PLEASE CONTINUE TO CARE ABOUT MY ABS.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #174
Brian Monk

Profile:

This thread should be titled:

No one ELSE cares about your abs.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/6759941/17564451 (wfs, topless male)
Old 06-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #175
Scott Moore.

Profile:

You are not your f***ing abs:stir:
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36

Last edited by Scott Moore.; 06-29-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Old 06-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #176
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

But you are your khakis.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #177
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
But you are your khakis.
I don't wear khakis
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #178
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Bank account, latte, car, bowel cancer?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #179
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Bank account, latte, car, bowel cancer?
yes, no, yes, no
Old 07-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #180
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Seriously. No one cares. People care what you can do.
Judging by the reactions of passersby in the WOD demo for "Saturday 100703," the general public could care less about CrossFit, too.

Everybody has their own lives to lead.