CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #471
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

and comparing Sam and Kristen and their wildcard situation

We aren't talking about just part champions, with Sam Briggs we are talking about the REIGNING CHAMPION

Every crossfit fan wants to see the showdown between Sam, Annie, Julie, camille and others

If Sam had totally bombed out, i would not be supporting her to get a wild card
Old 05-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #472
Andy Luten

Profile:

I wonder if certain athletes signing contracts for certain fitness leagues will play a role?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #473
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post

We aren't talking about just part champions, with Sam Briggs we are talking about the REIGNING CHAMPION

Every crossfit fan wants to see the showdown between Sam, Annie, Julie, camille and others

I want to see Sam too, it just sets a bad precedent. I don't like wildcard spots in general. If HQ do use cross regional scores there are so many anomalies like when athletes performed (i.e. what week of regionals), judging (with the Stacie Tovar issue), speed of heats, climate, equipment and spacing issues (i.e. issues raised with Australian lane spacing) etc. If all regions performed on the same weekend with the timing of workout announcements then yes the wildcard issue becomes more valid.

Maybe because in Australian sports there are no wildcard positions in major sports and I'm not used to it, but I just don't understand the need. We have our top X athletes and we know they are the best of the best. Time to let them fight for the title.

A win for Sam Briggs at the games (highly likely) is a tainted one.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #474
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate Dimech View Post
I want to see Sam too, it just sets a bad precedent. I don't like wildcard spots in general. If HQ do use cross regional scores there are so many anomalies like when athletes performed (i.e. what week of regionals), judging (with the Stacie Tovar issue), speed of heats, climate, equipment and spacing issues (i.e. issues raised with Australian lane spacing) etc. If all regions performed on the same weekend with the timing of workout announcements then yes the wildcard issue becomes more valid.

Maybe because in Australian sports there are no wildcard positions in major sports and I'm not used to it, but I just don't understand the need. We have our top X athletes and we know they are the best of the best. Time to let them fight for the title.

the precedent has already been sent when Clever got an invite to the Games last year.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #475
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

I disagree that a Briggs games win would be tainted if she EARNS a wild card spot. If the rules were the same as last year and she got to go cuz Annie was a champ, would you feel the same? It's just a different method of letting people go to the games that deserve it. Do you think it's fair for holmberg who is currently 6th worldwide not be at the games but the winner of Latin America make it when he will not even be in the top 100 after regionals are over? The main problem is the way regionals work all together.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #476
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
the precedent has already been sent when Clever got an invite to the Games last year.
The rules have changed since then. Last year HQ was able to invite whoever they wanted. That is no longer the case
Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #477
Michael V. Erickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post

I can't believe anyone is arguing Sam Briggs should not go to the games. She won three events outright and 2nd in a fourth. She bombed on the handstand walk for distance (!) in my opinion the dumbest contested event in crossfit. Why not running backwards for distance while juggling bowling pins? A circus skill nobody ever actually needs to perform for any real purpose is not a legitimate test of fitness. Again, in my opinion. It would de-legitimize the contest to keep her out.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #478
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

The two biggest INDIVIDUAL spots in the world, Golf and Tennis, both make frequent but not excessive use of wildcards

Goran ivanisevic won Wimbledon in 2001 having received a wildcard into the main draw. I have not ever heard anyone state that Goran didn't deserve the championship because of the wildcard entry. He had to win 7 tough matches to get that coverted title including beating the best serve volleyer at the time, Pat Rafter.

If Sam wins the Games having gotten a wildcard, it aint gonna be handed to her. She will have to best the likes of Annie, Julie, Camile and others over the course of all events.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #479
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V. Erickson View Post
I can't believe anyone is arguing Sam Briggs should not go to the games. She won three events outright and 2nd in a fourth. She bombed on the handstand walk for distance (!) in my opinion the dumbest contested event in crossfit. Why not running backwards for distance while juggling bowling pins? A circus skill nobody ever actually needs to perform for any real purpose is not a legitimate test of fitness. Again, in my opinion. It would de-legitimize the contest to keep her out.
What is fitness?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #480
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate Dimech View Post

are you kidding me?

if she beats everyone at the games how could she possibly not be more deserving?

lebron James can have a bad game every now and then. Is he suddenly not the best in the world? i love annie and am rooting for julie but your nuts if you in any way think briggs being in and winning the games is some kind of mistake.