CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Corey Shaw

Profile:
Interested in doing Crossfit at home. Need help!

Hello all.
I am new to the forum and soon to be new to Crossfit.
I live in Northern VA and I am a broke college student.
I am overweight and sick of it so as motivation to get in shape, I registered for a Tough Mudder event in June 2013.
I would really like to utilize crossfit to accomplish my weight loss goal.
The problem is, I am short on cash and cannot afford to start at a Crossfit gym.
My friend is in the same situation in regards to funds so we decided to do Crossfit at home. So here are some questions:

- What are all of the pieces of equipment we need to do this?
- How often do we do Crossfit exercises?
- When reading the WOD, is that the only exercise we do for the day?
- Is there anything else you could offer a beginner to Crossfit?

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Michael V. Erickson

Profile:
Re: Interested in doing Crossfit at home. Need help!

Click the "start here" link on the main page. Instructions for training without benefit of an affiliate are there. I recommend the Journal if you can afford $25. A kettlebell and a pull-up bar to start, make a medicine ball with a basketball, sand and a roll of duct tape. There are many articles in the journal for home made equipment, i.e. rings, paralettes, box jump boxes, etc. You probably have access to a track and a pool. Read the articles and watch the instructional videos repeatedly for knowledge and inspiration. Scale. Know what intensity means to you, then get some regularly. It's different for everyone but if you push yourself to your personal limit regularly you are guaranteed to succeed. Some strongly recommend a workout and food journal. I'm personally remiss but it sounds like a good idea. I'm always wishing I had one, started a couple of times but never kept up. You always think you'll remember things, like your Helen time of two years ago, but you always forget. Speaking for myself that is. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

1. Ideally, you would have a wide range of tools. However, you don't need to have a barbell, and a KB, and a jumprope, and a rower, and a medicine ball, and a pullup bar, and a set of rings, or tires or sleds or sandbags or weight vests.

Work with what you have available. Buy or make what you can if you want.

CrossFit is an idea, a methodology but it isn't necessarily this or that. Think of it as a template with plugins.

For scaled versions of the mainsite WOD, go here:

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ wfs

2. IMO, a beginner should start out 3 days week. Something like MWF or TuThSa. Basically workout a day, take a day of rest. You can do something light on a rest day like a jog, or swim, or bike, play a recreational sport game but don't kill yourself.

CrossFit WOD on the mainpage workouts 3 days in a row and takes a day of rest so scheduling it on a weekday schedule with that in mind means workout days and rest days are all over the place.

3. Well, you can work on "skillwork" before the WOD besides a warmup. Many gyms will employ their own standard gym warmup or something that varies form day to day. For some people, it's a barbell complex with just the bar or a stick. Maybe it's a few rounds of pushups and pullups and lunges, some jogging laps, a set amount of distance on the rower or KB swings.

The warmup is not a workout. Don't make it into one. Sometimes it will address mobility/flexibility issues.

Some people may work a strength lift, a gymnastics skill, an Olympic lift or perhaps Sprints as their skill work before the WOD. You don't have to but you can. Depends on your goals and how much time you have.

4. Losing weight is primarily about diet besides some exercise and moving the body around. A lot of CrossFitters do the Zone or Paleo, a combination thereof, or something called Primal. For starters, cut out sugary crap like sodas, candy, ice cream, sweets. You can go full bore or allow yourself a cheat day. That's up to you.

Burn more fat than you store. That means burning more calories than you intake though of course it's not EXACTLY that simple. There is only so much fructose your liver can hold before it just stores any more as fat.

Being that you're a broke college student will depend if you have a meal plan or eat at home with what you have. Meat (don't exactly have to eat meat but you do need some form of protein), veggies, some fruit and some nuts (some people don't because of phytic acid and lectins).

Once you start cutting carbs, you'll probably start to shed a lot of water/fluid weight. That will happen for awhile typically.

Some crossfitters do hybrid programs that aren't necessarily the mainpage WOD. Sometimes it leans itself to PowerLifting, OlympicLifting, EnduranceSports, or BallSports.

In the CrossFitFaq there should be a link to all the named WOD's. Some of them are just bodyweight only. This link is a compiled list of bodyweight only WOD's and some WOD's with minimal equipment or this or that.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739 wfs

Btw, if you use the Zone, make a choice on whether you want to " Eyeball " the Zone or Weigh&Measure. Some people do the latter, but it is tiresome besides borderline neurotic. It can be handy but use appropriately. You can turn into one of those people who carry a little book or app that tells you the nutritional profile of every food out there but you don't have to.

Do you have access to a university gym or not?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Corey Shaw

Profile:

Thanks for the advice.
At this point I am only attending a community college, so no gym access.
However, my apartment complex does have a small gym. 2 treadmills, 2 elipticals, 1 stationary bike, a couple of basic machines and an array of free weights.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Ideally, most people in crossfit stay away from machines like staying away from an STD.

Kinda depends what they have in the free weights. It's something at least.

In general, most of us are against machines for squats or deadlifts and pressing. A pulldown machine is kind of handy if you can't do a pullup. It doesn't really build the core strength for a pullup but at least works on the upper body pulling strength.

You could use a machines for chest press for all I could care, really. Bench press is a good lift to make you stronger upper body wise but not every crossfitter benches when you can push press and do ring dips and handstand pushups besides all the general volume of pushups and burpees and the occasional weighted pushup (which many cf gyms do instead of bench because they can just put bumpers on your back and do pushups instead of having to have benches).
Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Your diet will determine your weight loss, like Blair said. The easiest way in the world to eat clean(er) is to completely cut out processed foods and eat as much as you like of veggies and lean meat. Some fruit, nuts and berries can be added in also. Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, and all of that other **** that comes in a box is your enemy, avoid it like the clap. Do you have a means to cook your own food? That is important, as most of the food you're going to be eating won't jive well with the microwave. Read the nutritional pages here, there are tons of recipes and ideas there. Don't overcomplicate it, just eat clean.
Exercise wise, there is a good database here of bodyweight workouts. For a tough mudder you want to build a good aerobic base. Work up to the point where you can run 5-8 miles pretty easily, even if you have to start by walking 1/2 mile a day and adding volume from there. 10 miles with obstacles thrown in is no joke.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Alex Pearce

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTre7nCzFo
Old 08-09-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:

Agree with all of the above suggestions and remember that abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. If weight loss is your first primary goal then like the posters above said, eat as much clean, whole food as you can.

If you've got $3 to spend at the grocery store, a bag of spinach and bottle of red wine vinegar will provide a lot more nutrition than one processed protein shake.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Freddie Brummer

Profile:

There are a ton of WODs that can be done with as little as a jump rope and pull up bar. I am attaching a PDF file I found with about 23 pages of bodyweight WODs you can do. I for the life of me can't find the website I found it on (I believe it was the Journal website), but the author is listed on the document.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CrossFitBodyweightWorkoutResourcev2.0.pdf (179.6 KB, 2121 views)
Old 08-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Andrea Kirk

Profile:

You might try starting a club at the college or posting a notice and seeing who else may be interested or already CrossFitting. You are probably not alone there.