CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Nate Mignot

Profile:
what meals do you like to cook?

Im posting this not for information on diets but just to see what thing people are cooking. last week I made homemade burger's. 2Lb of ground beef mixed with onions, BBQ sauce, and one egg to hold it together. after it was cooked i grilled up some pineapple set that on the bottom bun, then burger, cheese, zesty pickle's. came out amazing. not for the best diet but a good change in taste. So post up anything, you might find something new to try.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: what meals do you like to cook?

Best burgers I have ever had. Give them a try and you won't regret it.

Ingredients
2 pounds ground beef
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
3 tablespoons evaporated milk
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions
Preheat grill for high heat.
In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, evaporated milk, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and garlic using your hands. Form the mixture into 8 hamburger patties.
Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill patties 5 minutes per side, or until well done.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

My wife and i LOVE baked cauliflower. Love it.

It's easy. Preheat to 500, cut cauliflower into large florets, toss lightly in olive oil (spray the cookie sheet with Pam to avoid the oil burning on the surface), bake about 20-25min depending on how firm you like it (I suggest firm) and toss some sea salt after you take it out. Eat immediately though because it loses heat FAST.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Nate Mignot

Profile:

found this online. it was amazing

Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce

* 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 pound), trimmed of fat
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
* 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
* 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* 2 large shallots, finely chopped
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 1/2 cup chopped chives, (about 1 bunch)

Preparation

1. Place chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Season both sides of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow glass baking dish and dredge the chicken in it. Discard the excess flour.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
3. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour; stir to coat. Add wine, broth and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil, stirring often.
4. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until heated through and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes. Stir in sour cream and mustard until smooth; turn the chicken to coat with the sauce. Stir in chives and serve immediately.

Nutrition

Per serving: 244 calories; 9 g fat ( 3 g sat , 3 g mono ); 72 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 0 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 334 mg potassium.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
David Alexander

Profile:

I cook a lot of recipes from http://health-bent.com (wfs). The "paleo" pork fried rice, pad thai (with seared duck breast), and braised short ribs with figs are my favorites.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
PaulEwing

Profile:

I hate spending a lot of time cooking since I have very little free time during the week but these are pretty much all of the meals I prepare.

For breakfast I make oatmeal with a handful of frozen strawberries and a splash of milk. I eat a some plain yogurt for a little extra fat and drink 2 cups of liquid egg whites for protein. (I wouldn't really call this cooking but it's a meal.)

I never cook lunch because I work 8-5, but this is what I prepare:
Fruit for late morning: Usually an apple and some strawberries
Lunch: Turkey sandwich
Afternoon: Carrots, brocolli, spinach, almonds, and a protein bar.
(I also drink a protein shake over the course of late morning to lunch.)

One of my favorite dinners to make is hash browns. I usually go to 6:30PM crossfit and afterwards I want carbs that cook fast so I can eat them with some protein. I just throw some frozen hash browns in a pan with diced up onions, tomatoes, meat, sometimes cheese, and whatever else I might have in the fridge, fry them for 8-10 minutes, throw some salsa on them and bam. (Clean up is also easy)

On the weekends, I'm still pretty lazy and just cook eggs for breakfast and some sort of chicken dish for dinner.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Yandy Roman

Profile:

I enjoy many lean meats with veggies like Chicken, veggies with some type of nuts inside. I avoid rice, bread as much as I can. I limit my bread intake to lunch only.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

40 clove garlic chicken. Google it, it's good.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Lunch today was a green salad with cherries and apricots, and a big bowl of homemade broccoli potato soup.

Katherine
Old 07-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Dinner is typically a big hamburger pattie on put on top of my salad. My salad is actually the bowl you generally use to make salads in. Fill it up with romaine or red leaf, cabbage, spinach, maybe shredded carrots and a bit of cheese. Other times I will cook up pieces of chicken on the grill, at least if not 3. Generally I cook up a lot so I can have some the next day for my first meal but I might end up with a plate of chicken bones that night.

Just not usually into making a big ordeal of it just for me. Maybe on weekends.

Another common one is sometimes a london broil or tritip. I'll generally cut slices of it and cut it up so about a plate's worth is cut up and eat the huge frick'n salad. Sometimes I have enough broil or tritip for lunch the next day unless I go back for seconds later.

Probably one of my favorite meals to cook is Loma Saltado. Stir fried steak, onions, tomatoes, french fries often served with Peruvian Style rice. Very similar to Thai cuisine. One of the rare times I'll bother eating rice if I'm at the restaurant or cooking for other people. For myself, I might just cook up the potatoes myself and leave it as that. Often mixed with peppers and a smidge of cilantro.

Otherwise it's typically just meat and vegetables. Unless I cook fajitas. I've been thinking lately of trying to use lettuce leafs instead of tortillas. Definitely won't work for burritos probably because of the weight but I rarely will bother cooking up rice and beans anyways.