CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-01-2004, 08:16 AM   #11
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I'm laughing so hard I can't see straight. The evil brother poopie line nearly introduced me to cousin pee pee. Nardpuncher...you crack me up.

In my estimation Pukie is the incarnation of an ideal of performance intensity. Not so much a goal in the form of imitation but rather a goal in the sense of mental state. If you don't probe the outer edges of your ability your improvement will be be haphazard and moderate.

Moderation is a breeding ground for mediocrity.

eug
Old 11-01-2004, 10:26 AM   #12
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I've thought about this, and the appropriate analogy is with HIT training (OK, stop groaning out there, bear with me). In HIT, as I understand it, you do one set to ABSOLUTE failure, then you're done with that exercise.

In the CrossFit WOD, you are training your system, and the appearance of Pukie is your sign that you have reached your systemic limit. Now, in the same way you wouldn't go past failure to injury, you don't need to actually vomit within the CrossFit paradigm. I've gotten the dry heaves many times--no doubt in part due to my fondness for cheese, which increases the mucous in my lungs, that gets caught in my throat--but I've never actually puked. Nothing has left my mouth.

You have a flag or sign for a successful lift in O-Lifting. Pukie is your flag here. You got muscle burn in bodybuilding, you got body burn here.

I will add that I have known guys who vomited to make weight when wrestling, and one guy who trained cross country and track hard enough to vomit regularly, and it can be very hard on your teeth. I know 3-4 people who spend a lot of quality time at the dentist for that reason. I would think if you did that, you should carry around antacid to immediately neutralize the chemical effects of that.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:15 PM   #13
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
I would like to maintain the maturity of this thread, but I do have a real question...I am often visited by Pukie's cousin, Gassy, especially when I run or do sit-ups. It also seems like it happens more often in the morning than later in the day. Does this happen to anybody else?
Old 11-15-2004, 01:09 PM   #14
Graham Hayes

Profile:
With no consideration for maturity I ask which orafice is Gassy, if it's the mouth I think he was christened Burpie. That's usually the clown that meets me, also especially on runs and sit ups. Those movements seem to churn it up down there.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #15
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I have often met with Burpie in the form of Acid Refluxie. In some WOD's, I find I need to add 30 reps of re-swallowing breakfast!:crazy:
I tend to meet "Gassy" when I'm doing heavy deadlifts, which for me come close to 300#. I always look around to see if anyone was listening as they were staring.
In all seriousness, after taking a week off, I've decided to use the feeling of nausea as a sign I'm hitting my limits. So far, I have only felt that way after a real fast row (yesterday after the 1000m split). Thrusters have come close, but not too close. It really is my goal to push myself until I feel a real limit, not the one I've imagagined hitting in the past.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:36 AM   #16
Philip Mancini Jr.

Profile:
I've identified with every potential malady on this thread but have monitored my diet and workout time to avoid all of them.

"Poopie" now that's funny!!!

On a serious note and to follow-up on Dave's post. I almost never feel "Pukie" coming up on a metabolic max day. "Pukie" gets me on mainly anerobic circuits.

Case and point, we did "Fran" at the Colorado seminar and I was dry heaving for 10-15 minutes. This wasn't a rite of passage but there is some satisfaction in understanding your limits and occasionally pushing past them, from time to time.

Dr. Larry Blum has done some interesting research in the mental conditioning aspect of fitness training. The CrossFit workouts go hand-in-hand with what he's saying and the benefits of pushing yourself and training your mind to push through the agony, rather than submit to it.

Powerful stuff!!!

Phil
Old 11-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #17
Pat Janes

Profile:

<quote>
The CrossFit workouts go hand-in-hand with what he's saying and the benefits of pushing yourself and training your mind to push through the agony, rather than submit to it.
</quote>

I think that this is one of the more powerful aspects of adhering to the WOD for general conditioning. Pushing yourself through some of the WOD's can take significant mental strength.

With any luck I'll never have to find out, but I believe that it trains us well for if/when a situation arises that requires us to perform in an "emergency". To be able to push through physical and mental exhaustion, pain, fatigue, cardio/respiratory distress is very powerful stuff.

Those who either work in the LEO/Armed Forces etc fields would probably know more about this sort of thing than I, but I feel it better prepares me to push myself through anything.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:52 AM   #18
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
OK people, let's get this family thing down so the more timid among us don't have to sweat (no pun intended) making a post about it. The Schtinker familia is:

Burpee (pretty nice and harmless guy-no harm in hanging with him)
Pukee (persistant and headstrong-don't go provoking him)
Gaz (Harmless if handled with care-don't go messing with him though either)
Poopilia (Danger! Stay away at even the slightest warning of her arrival)
Peeper (Can be effectively kept out with proper preparation)

In any case, I think that if you CF long enough, you are bound to get yourself in a situation where you'll face at least one member of the family at the same time.

In all seriousness now, having an almost empty stomach really helps me feel good. If I were to follow "the book" on pre-workout nutrition, I'd be hanging with the Schtinkers way too often:biggrin:
Old 11-22-2004, 03:53 AM   #19
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Alexander - aren't you confusing "Burpee" the exercise with "Burpy" the Schtinker family member? Same pronounciation but different spelling. The exercise, however, has been known to invite many of the family members into your house! <smile>

I have been finding that my normal frequent sips of water throughout a workout doesn't work with crossfit. Even water in my belly induces a possible visit by pukie!

Old 11-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #20
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Beth-you're so right!

I sip as well during the WOD and usually end up finishing one bottle by its end. It doesn't really bother me if lunch was light, but I've really overdone it with my tuna salad, and drink water during the WOD, that's when Burpy shows up, paving the way for his evil twin :happy:

Thanks for the spelling correction too!