CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
In the exercise literature, they always say, "any signs of nausea or dizziness and
the protocol should be stopped... These symptoms represent an inappropriate overshoot in the training progression..."

But, they never say why. Now, I know that puking is all the rage around here, but one certainly should not be puking all the time. Like a bulemic, you will start to erode away your esophagus and tooth enamel, at the very least.

But, what about going until you get that pukish feeling, then stopping until it subsides and starting again? Does this do something bad to your body? Does it result in smaller increase in endurance performance? If not, then what's the big deal?

Since they never say why it's bad I get the feeling that they are just being PC or don't know what it takes to be a champion.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Puking from exertion is uncivilized. Uncivilized is bad. Thus no eating raw meat (especially not with your hands) or squatting to defecate. Heck, sweating too much is uncivilized to many people.

Civilization has many merits, the ones that interfere with health are the ones I don't really care for...

My issue with exercising to the point of vomiting is that it is a relatively harsh motivator *not* to go that hard again. Much like the anti-motivation that the 20-rep squat program provides (when one has to go up 5# each workout).

It is difficult enough for many people to motivate themselves to exercise in the first place (planned-out exercise is far from "natural" IMO). Taking them to the point of puking and beyond is a great way to kill any motivation they might have had. They fear vomiting again. Fear is a great motivator. Stop exercising = no need to fear vomiting. Not good.

From what I have witnessed, many athletes who pushed themselves (or had coaches do it to them) too hard, too often are often loath to ever train again because of negative associations that have been created over periods of time. Smell can be a huge one--ie. they smell sweat or body odor, associate it with past vomiting, thus they try to avoid the smell. That fear combined with egos that tell them they have to perform to a fitness level that they were at in high school or college are extremely strong motivations to not even bother.

I'm not trying to make sport champions, I'm trying to make functional, happy, healthy people who like to stay physically fit. Vomiting need not play any part in that journey.

I also haven't seen any research that shows exertion to the point of vomiting elicits positive training effects. Neal, want to take on that study? :lol:

Not eating or eating smaller amounts of good foods 2-2.5 hours before hard exertion should make this a moot point. Avoiding excessive fluid intake before/during would also help--this requires proper hydration protocols during the rest of the time. I don't even drink much during my workouts--who needs fluid even in a long (~40') CF workout? I can manage without. Fluid taken in during a CF workout sure isn't getting absorbed, we're putting ourselves in way too much of a sympathetic state for digestion to occur.

My two cents.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
That seems reasonable Garrett, but I really just meant the pukey feeling, not actually puking. :happy: Actually puking would be gross, I absolutely loath the feeling of actually puking, but getting the slighty pukey feeling makes me feel like I have good willpower.

That's why I want to know if there is anything bad about it. The mainstream literature always says dont do it, but they never say why.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
Ray Cooper

Profile:
I rarely push myself to the point of vomit. Maybe a couple of times a year. It's just a gut check really. We all flirt with Chuck when xfitting and sometimes, if you flirt enough...well, you might not be able to avoid going over the edge.

I think for people looking to really test certain functions to their limit, it's practically unavoidable. However, like trying for a PR on your deadlift, it's certainly not something you wanna do every week.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Nothing wrong with skirting the edge of puking and continuing, in my opinion.

Those inverted burpees are a great way to get close to that edge, as I learned today. I was able to keep going despite that feeling, and it went away by the time I had run to the pullup bar.

Maybe the advice comes because the owners don't want people puking on their shiny machines. Or maybe because they don't want people working out hard enough to get results anyway...
Old 04-16-2006, 08:51 AM   #6
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
any signs of nausea or dizziness and etc.
These are the sign's of your body telling you: HEY, STUPID, SLOW DOWN! It is a warning.

It takes a special kind of person to go looking for that edge. Some crossfitters are like that. Most, like Garret and myself, go to the edge every now and then, flirt with it but don't go over.
Besides, it does not taste good, it smells and it gives you a bad feeling. And you have to clean everything up, YAK!
I prefer to stay on the good side.
Have fun, happy HEALTHY training, Johan
Old 04-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Puking is a form of extremism, and extremism in most things is unhealthy (if not physically, certainly psychologically).
Old 04-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Neal Winkler

Profile:
But the title of this thread doesn't exactly match my actual question. I just wanted to know if anything bad happens if sometimes you get to that pukey feeling, then stop, then start again a few seconds later after it goes away.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
Travis Hall

Profile:

no science behind this, just my thinkn'

but going just to the verge and then letting yourself calm down to go again would eventually train your body to endure longer before hitting the same wall. i don't think anything bad would happen- just the opposite, you'd slowly get your body more adopted to going longer before puking...

t.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
Russ Greene

Profile:

Paul, the amount of work it takes to succeed in many fields could be described as "extreme." Does that make it unhealthy to pursue difficult things? There isn't anything I'm proud of that didn't require a ridiculous amount of focused effort, much more than what a "normal" person would be willing to do. Still, I have much less discipline than some of my friends do. I believe that being rewarded for suffering is one of the healthiest things that one can experience, because it builds the willpower to succeed when encountering obstacles. If health is definined as happy mediocrity, then the pursuit of success is unhealthy.