CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Just a question as far as the Certs go. I want to attend a Level One certification course sometime after October this year (need to get in CF shape) And was wondering what benchmark times/routines you all think I should be at before I consider tackling a Cert? I am military, and will be going TAD for this (unit funded), and I am sure the Battalion will want me to add CF to the PT schedule. Any advice? The way I look at it, if the Battalion is going to pay for me to get in better shape, and learn this stuff the RIGHT way, then so much the better. I just want to be in good enough shape, that I dont make a donkey out of myself. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Get that PVC pipe work down. OHS, push jerk, push press, dead lift, front squats and just your basic air squats. I just got back from NC last night. I'm sore from the stick work! As far as the workouts Cindy and Fran can't hurt. I would worry more about form on all things. Pushups, squats, rowing, OHS. Yeah I know you know your push ups, but make sure your toucing the deck and locking out at the top. Oh and your clean with the ball! Thats a big one. Think form, form, form!
www.jensgym.blogspot.com
Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Don't worry too much about how fit you are going in. The certs involve a lot of work (not as much as they used to) but the environment is encouraging to all. There have certainly been attendees that were not physically up to the task of completing everything, but you'll learn a ton regardless.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Thanks to you both for your input. I am working on form in my warmups in the morning (I am trying to stick with a couple of skills with the stick before every workout) before moving on to the WODs. I just want to make sure I am bringing something to the table before I head out to a cert. If I am in better shape, I can only learn more better and faster, right? Thanks again for the input. Oh, and Jennifer? You are in the DC area right? I am in Quantico, Va, just up here from a recent move from Jacksonville NC. How are the facilities up this way? I am new to the CF workouts, and was wondering what a CF fac was like. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Matt Thacker

Profile:
Chris,

The certs are physically demanding regardless of your fitness level. No matter how fit you are you will be challenged, and if you are less than a top performer (like me) you will have plenty of help and critiqing of your form which will make you better. I went to the cert in Raleigh and had a blast. Lots of great info. Coach and his crew have a way of explaining this stuff that beats the heck out of just reading the board. I wish I had gone sooner.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Why don't you come in this Sunday to CFDC. It's at 10am. www.crossfitdc.com with Tom Brose.
Also we have www.Primal-fitness.com with Jesse Woody and www.crossfitchallenge.com with Jerry Hill.
I think you would find what you need at any of these. If you can you should do the drop in at all of them and meet our local team of Crossfit trainers. Hope to see you Sunday or Tuesday night.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Most of your questions have been addressed here http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/certs.shtml so be sure to check it out.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
Tom Brose

Profile:
Chris, there are also a LOT of CrossFitters at Quantico. I can put you in toch with a few of them off the boards. As Jen said, you are welcome to come on up to CrossFit DC anytime.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Just make sure to sit out if you need to, even if all the trainers are screaming at you to get back in there. I sat out quite a lot during my cert and managed to get injured anyway.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Wow, I come home from work, and got WAY more on my thread than I expected. Thanks so much for the info EVERYONE. Jennifer and Tom, thanks for the invite, no promises as to when, but I will definately get out there at some point. I would love to see the facilities, and meet some people. Tom, I will email you offline, as I would like to get in touch with some people out my way as well. Lynne, thanks for the info on the thread for certs, I appreciate the direction to the right spot. I just REALLY REALLY want to do all this right, and cant think of a better way to learn. Thank you all so much for the help and input. I greatly appreciate it.