CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Jeremy Stegura

Profile:
So I'm just starting doing crossfit type workouts. I feel like I'm going to puke after I'm done however and feel completely miserable and can't wait to go home and lay down. Am i pushing it too hard? I honestly don;t think I can continuously bring myself to that sickening feeling 3-4 days a week.

An example of a workout yesterday was 20x pullups (assisted on a gravitron, my grip and everything sucks and I cannot do one single pullup on my own), then 20 pushups and 20 squats for 5 sets. I completed the first set ok then the second set was basically me hanging there on the gravitron with 140 lbs assisted weight after ten reps, taking like ten seconds between reps, switching grip positions. By the time i was done with all 20 reps, I had to take a 30 second break before I could do the pushups. I got 10 in a row then had to wait 10 seconds, push out another 3, wait 10 more seconds, etc. THEN...the squats. After the squats I basiclaly collapsed, waited 5 minutes then punished myself again for 3 more sets with an ever worsening pace.

Is that a bit too ridiculous or should I lower reps so that I can complete everything without needing so much rest between reps and sets?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Kevin Burns

Profile:
What you are experiencing is what everyone who started has experienced. BUT yes i think you are pushing it too hard. When I started I could do about 15 body weight squats in each round of the workout your talking about. You might want to drop the number of reps your doing so that you can keep up a decent pace for the 5 rounds. If your at the point you are dragging along and not moving very fast then you are probably at the point where you should stop.

But here is the good news. THIS WILL GET EASIER !!! A couple things that might help the nausea feeling. Bring water, gatorade, and something to eat. Peanut butter crackers always worked for me or just something salty.

You will be out of this pukie phase in about a month. YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!! Just know your limits.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
Peter Weiss

Profile:
Keep at it!

I thought you were SUPPOSED to puke after an intense session. j/k

For real though, it sounds like your pushing really hard, but like anything physically demanding, your bodies reacting to the sudden bursts of energy demanded from it. It's getting your being in to shape.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
Hello Jeremy,
Just like Kevin said, start easy and grow inti Crossfit, you will like it a lot better.
It should be fun, tiring, very much so, but fun.
Take care, Johan
Old 03-25-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Jeremy:

Check out www.brandxmartialarts.com for scaled versions of the WOD. In another post Johan decribes the best way to start CF as "slide in, rather than jump in." Nice way to visualize it. SOME work-outs or efforts should make you feel sick, not EVERY work-out. This stuff is powerful, and very, very effective

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #6
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Do your scaling, and rest when you are truly hurting. Or end up like me, and month into Crossfitting, and have to take two weeks off for tendonitits in the elbow and shoulder cause I wouldnt scale the WODS. Make sure you listen to these guys. Listen to your body, scale your workouts, stretch, and eat/rest well. It will get better! I have a week left on my "sentence", and I am doing just lower body stuff, and mobility exercises for my shoulder and elbow. IT SUCKS! And keep your head up, itll get better.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
George Brothers

Profile:
jeremy

one thing that rolling full bore into crossfit gets you is either overtrained, discouraged or injured, sometimes all 3. the advice above is all good. for your particular workout you describe i would suggest instead the following:
5 pullups
15 pushes
25 squats
30-90 seconds rest
repeat 5 rounds

i would revisit this workout on a weekly basis and strive to first reduce rest between rounds. next i would then work on increasing numbers.to do this right you should plan on months of working at this.

i would also work on your strength, so i would put a strength day in your rotation.you shouldnt feel pukey after a strength session.

next, what are your goals: weight loss? strength gain? more endurance? improving your gpp? preparation for some kind of fitness test? posting big numbers like the big dogs?

take some time to read the faq and the "start here" section.there is a lot of sage advice there.

most of us were in your shoes at one time. perserverance is an underrated personality trait, dont give up.

several months, or a year ago there was somewhat of a beginners program done by a xfit affiliate guy in mens journal. there is also a beginners program in i think the may 03 crossfit journal that may be available for free now or for a few bucks.

last, if you can afford it and it is available, find a crossfit trainer and get some sessions in if you can. even the most gifted and skilled need a coach.

good luck.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
Have a look at the beginner workout here

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2006..._03_cfj_1.html

Remember that most people drop out of new programs because they go too hard in the beginning. Look at Crossfit as a new culture, and give yourself time to assimilate.

Its hard to overdo it with the beginner program. It'll get you started the right way, and as Coach Glassman said, will yield impressive results.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Jeremy,

One question I forgot to ask was what your athletic background is ? If you were a medium or long distance athlete you might be experiencing your first introduction to high intensity and the pain associated with it.

What you can do to dramatically help the pukie feeling is get out on the track and do some sprint work. 100's, 200's, 400's. I've started a once a week sprint workout and in only 2 weeks its really helped my WOD.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
Jeremy Stegura

Profile:
ok thanks for all the input.

@george Brothers:
George asked what my goals are. Right now, just getting as ripped as possible. The way I came upon crossfit is after seeing the movie "300" I looked around to find out what methodology of training they went through to get that look. I came across gymjones.com and also saw people mention this site in story comments on digg.com.

@ kevin Burns:
I'm no stranger to the gym, though admittedly it's all been basic bodybuilding type workouts and int he summer ill get outside and sprint. Almost 5 years ago I dieted down to 165 lbs from 220 and then just 2 years ago I weighed 250 after trying to put some muscle on (but fat came with it). Fell off the wagon the past year or so and now just looking for somehting new and to get ripped and lean, so here I am.

The workout I cae up with today was this:
5x deadlift, 10x hang cleans, 5x dips, (for chest not the tricep variation)then repeat. That was one set. I did 5 sets in about 20 minutes. I rested about 2 minutes between sets. I definately need some kind of stopwatch though. Afterwards I just felt tired but thankfully not sick again.

But yeah I need to definately get a digital stopwatch and plan out 5 workouts to do per week and track progress.

Oh and if fat loss is my goal here with this crossfit program, if anyone has any specifics relating to that, that would be cool, and what types of programs are related to stregth? I'd like to toss maybe 2 workouts a week in the mix centered on that.

(Message edited by Vel on March 26, 2007)