CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
Andrew Burry

Profile:
Shane Carwin & Steroids

So Shane Carwin has been implemented in a national steroid ring. Is there really any surprise? Any crossfitters out there that weigh 265? At 6' I have to eat like a horse just to stay at 180. After reading "Juiced," "Game of Shadows," and "A-Rod" it is pretty clear that in professional sports if your name ends up in the same sentence as steroids, you've taken them. The UFC has a relatively complacent drug policy. Testing before or after a fight does nothing to stop the use of performance enhancement. Everyone knows you can cycle off the juice three to four weeks before competition and still reap the rewards of training.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20283/fede...ution-ring.mma
Old 08-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Shane Carwin & Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burry View Post
So Shane Carwin has been implemented in a national steroid ring. Is there really any surprise? Any crossfitters out there that weigh 265? At 6' I have to eat like a horse just to stay at 180.
I'm 6'4" and I weight 291 at current time. Quite a bit of that is fat, but a but of it is muscle too as I don't look as "fat" as I did when I weighed 255. I guarantee if I continued to lift like I am and could bring my fat percentage down I could weigh 265 not be fat and not be on steroids. Of course this is with the right diet, which I suck at.
Point is, just because you weigh 265 and are muscular doesn't mean you're on 'roids.
Now that being said, I wouldn't discount that any professional athlete is on something.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
John Stone

Profile:

I am 6'0" and weigh 260 pounds. As I have been doing CF I haven't been losing any weight -- instead I have been exchanging fat for muscle pound for pound. We are rare, but there are some naturally big people.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Andrew, for just your second post I think it's a bad call to start an "accuse everyone" steroid discussion by letting everyone know you don't know the difference between "implemented" and "implicated". You're not going to get a productive discussion with that approach.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Matt Corley

Profile:

I've read a bunch of these threads and no one has ever mentioned the fact that he might actually have a prescription for anabolics. In which case they are perfectly legal.

Is this likely? Maybe not but it is possible. I read Kurt Angle has been implicated previously and in those instances he's always had a script.

Maybe the doc's at fault, maybe its legit, who knows?

Last edited by Matt Corley : 08-17-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Andrew D White

Profile:

Hey Andrew, I have to ask if you're more concerned that a UFC athlete used or is implicated in a conspiracy to distribute controlled substances?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Corley View Post
I've read a bunch of these threads and no one has ever mentioned the fact that he might actually have a prescription for anabolics. In which case they are perfectly legal.

Is this likely? Maybe not but it is possible. I read Kurt Angle has been implicated previously and in those instances he's always had a script.

Maybe the doc's at fault, maybe its legit, who knows?
As long as you are putting butts in the seats the team docs will keep you in a prescription. It could be to get you over an injury quicker (to get you back out and selling tickets), or just to keep your performance high. Either way as long as a person is selling tickets they will keep you on the field or in the ring. Of course if you have a legit script why not just buy it at the drug store.

Last edited by Craig Rogers : 08-22-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Rogers View Post
Of course if you have a legit script why not just buy it at the drug store.
To keep your name out of the news, I would guess.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Andrew Burry

Profile:

I just don't see why everyone is so quick to run to the defense of these guys? Clearly a large percentage of professional athletes take performance enhancing drugs. I love watching two juiced up behemoths beat each others brains out, and to keep up the level of training, the sparring, strength and conditioning, you need these drugs to keep you going. Try following a CF or CFFB type program and spend another 20 hours a week boxing, wrestling, rolling... That's what these athletes put themselves through. So what some people would have me believe is that wannabe Jersey Shore boys are juicing on a regular basis but a true professional world class athlete scoffs at the idea? Anyone with two grains of salt has to realize a large percentage of these fighters are taking PED's, some much more obvious than others. Alistair Overeem comes to mind, and Frank Mir, who amazingly packed on 40lbs of muscle in a matter of months. The guy goes from 230s to having to cut to make 265 in his next fight, and it's all thanks to his new strength and conditioning program. Maybe you should write a book? I'm pretty sure every dude that has ever walked in to a Globo would love to know that secret! Steroids do amazing things, and make baseball and football exponentially more entertaining, I'm just baffled by the people who will go to the end of the earth to defend obvious steroid users, implemented, implicated, injected, they all mean the same thing.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burry View Post
I just don't see why everyone is so quick to run to the defense of these guys?
Who is defending anyone?

Quote:
Alistair Overeem comes to mind, and Frank Mir, who amazingly packed on 40lbs of muscle in a matter of months.
That doesn't mean that those guys don't dope, but it doesn't mean that they do. eg their gains were suspiciously large, but given that they were known for their fairly sedentary training before starting a weight-lifting program, it is possible the gains were so large due to their being beginners to that sort of training.

I've put on so much muscle mass in the last 12 weeks my wife asked me if I was "taking steroids." The answer was, of course, no. Some people are natural gainers I guess. In all my life I never lifted weights before a few weeks ago, but apparently I should have been.