CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Amanda Spannbauer

Profile:
Warm-up

I am looking for the best CrossFit Warm up. I have been doing CrossFit for about a year now and love it but am never sure how to warm-up for my workouts. I usually just bike/jump rope, GHD sit-ups, and some pull-ups, but I never seem to be as ready as I should. Anyone have a good routine?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Re: Warm-up

Amanda,
First, you are probably about to get ripped one by some Crossfit Board know it all for not searching for this yourself because I think there is already a few threads on this subject and also there is a CF warmup under FAQ's.

I have posted this link several times before but I always do some variation of this type of warmup, http://www.coreperformance.com/knowl...r-warm-up.html.

I always like to keep some form of glute bridges and lunges in my warm-ups. I usually take out the knee hugs, drop lunges, and lateral slide squats out of the above routine and replace with something for shoulders and air squats. If I am real cold I will do a rower or bike for 2 - 5 minutes before the above warmup.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Amanda Spannbauer

Profile:

Thanks for the warning...I looked for a warm-up but was not able to find a posting or anythig off the main page but I will deal with the thrashing when/if it comes. Also, thanks for the link.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Something that doesn't get mentioned in a lot of these threads, but what I (and I think a lot of people do) is a general, cardio type warmup before doing any warmup movements such as in the CFWU.

Personally, I like to do a 500m row at a moderate pace just to get the blood flowing. Then I'll do pullups, situps, OHS, passthroughs, etc. I think this may be even more important for people who work out first thing in the AM than people who work out later in the day. Be careful not to gas yourself in a warmup though. It's not the workout.

-Kevin
Old 03-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Amanda,
First, you are probably about to get ripped one by some CrossFit Board know it all for not searching for this yourself ....
Is someone harboring a resentment?

The same know-it-all might tell you to label your link as WFS or not.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Amanda,

My apologies for not stepping in sooner to be useful.....

A Better Warm Up WFS

This warm up, started with a 500m row or 400m run, is generally what people are refering to when they say CrossFit Warm-Up (CFWU). It's a basic skill builder. You can vary it as needed. You don't even have to do the whole warm-up.

Kevin - you have a point about the early am thing. I generally don't do most of the warm-up, but probably should considering I have now moved my WOD's to the begining of the day.

Let's play nice, guys. We are all here to learn.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Scott Erb

Profile:

Good link, Amber. I almost always use the CFWU in the article. I have noticed that when I get lazy with the WU for a couple weeks, my progress slows. Likewise, when I tighten up the WU, I do better at the WODs. I do sometimes work in weaknesses (thrusters) and on days with OLY lifts, I'll add a Burgener WU cycle to the CFWU, usually 2 rounds of CFWU and 2-3 rounds of Burg. Someone with better google-fu than I will provide a like to the Burg WU, I'm sure.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
Scott Dyck

Profile:

I agree with working in exercises to address your weaknesses in the WU. My warmup is constantly evolving. But when I started doing CF, I used the "official" CFWU in the FAQ's, and it worked well for me. Once I identified some glaring problems, I started working them in every day, rest days included. My OHS improved TREMENDOUSLY from doing it in my warmup, for example. Now I'm addressing my arch-nemesis Mr. Double-Under, the easiest exercise for me to rationalize subbing for.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

At first, I used the warm up to get better at the basic movements. For true beginners, the CFWU can be a workout. Later, it became easy to skip the workout in the name of getting in a quick WOD and not missing time with the kids, etc. You know, a quick 10 minute WOD and you're done. Now, I am doing the CFSB program, and have rededicated myself to the CFWU each day. The question I have is, how hard should you hit it? Should it be a slow and methodical 15 minutes, or a quick and (semi-)brutal 6 minute run through? I have been doing more of the quick and brutal approach. I started off a few weeks ago with 3 rounds of 10 reps (pullups, pushups, squats, GHD situps to parallel, and GHD back extensions) in about 9:00. In just about two weeks, I had that down to 6:00. Now I have upped it to 3 rounds of 12 reps and it's been about 8:00. After that, I am a little winded but not spent. I take about 5:00 to let my heart rate drop and load the bar up for the lifts in the CFSB program. Anyone care to chime in on the slow and easy or quick and brutal idea? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Belyeu View Post
At first, I used the warm up to get better at the basic movements. For true beginners, the CFWU can be a workout. Later, it became easy to skip the workout in the name of getting in a quick WOD and not missing time with the kids, etc. You know, a quick 10 minute WOD and you're done. Now, I am doing the CFSB program, and have rededicated myself to the CFWU each day. The question I have is, how hard should you hit it? Should it be a slow and methodical 15 minutes, or a quick and (semi-)brutal 6 minute run through? I have been doing more of the quick and brutal approach. I started off a few weeks ago with 3 rounds of 10 reps (pullups, pushups, squats, GHD situps to parallel, and GHD back extensions) in about 9:00. In just about two weeks, I had that down to 6:00. Now I have upped it to 3 rounds of 12 reps and it's been about 8:00. After that, I am a little winded but not spent. I take about 5:00 to let my heart rate drop and load the bar up for the lifts in the CFSB program. Anyone care to chime in on the slow and easy or quick and brutal idea? Thanks in advance.
The goal of a warm-up is to get blood flowing through all the major muscles and warm up the joints. It doesn't need to get the heart rate up high; it just needs to warm you up enough to get a light sweat going. My knees tend to be a bit stiff and my hamstrings tend to loosen up slowly, so a slow, methodical warm-up works best for me. But, if quick and brutal works for you, more power to you!