CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Jerid Krulish

Profile:
If you only have a couple of Oly bars, and you're doing a workout like Fran where you're timed but also need the bar, how do you run a class of 6-8 people?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Stagger the group. Start with the fastest and strongest. Let them finish since it won't take them long. Then middleweight and then slower crowd.

It makes it more fun in a way that the first ones do not know other's times yet so it's harder to pace themselves.

Try and see how it works.

Leo
www.crossfitevolution.com
Old 04-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:
Good question. We made the decision to NOT have classes for that reason.

The class setting has it's benefits, however I personally have never liked 'classes'.

My desire was to train as many clients as possible, and spend as little money as possible. Therefor, we decided to allow members to enter at their convenience. As an example, yesterday morning we opened at 5:30am and remained open till 10 for 'CrossFit training'. We had 63 members cycle through during those hours.

The members are not limited to having to be here at a specific time for a class, and I am able to manage resourses (equipment) more efficiently.

This system helps me manage equipment, people, parking lot, employees, and keep money in the bank. (not having to spend for equipment)

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 04-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Skip, we've been toying with that idea. Some of our classes are getting a bit too cozy. Although our members seem to enjoy the classes and it's easier to fit my regular one-on-ones in the schedule. We may offer a few open sessions during the week to give some of our people that option. Also, our room cannot accomadate multiple victims doing a WO like Fran so we use sandbags,dumbells, or kettlebells for thrusters. This works very well for us.

www.NewJerseyCrossFit.com
Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
Good. We went from 13 clients to over 100 clients without adding any equipment. We recently began making more equipment purchases (the 1st since Oct 2005) because of adding a CrossFit Kid's and CrossFit Family program and doubling our facility size.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Skip--
I really got a lot out of your posts on this subject, and have started having "Open Gym" hours throughout the week.
I see people are picking up on the idea of managed workouts. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Jacob Rowell

Profile:
Skip,

Your system sounds pretty interesting. How many people can you accomadate at one time? With people coming in on a rolling basis, how does instruction work? Do you just get people started on their workouts as they come in, and constantly walk around and check on everyone?

I help run CrossFit RVA, one of the newer affiliates, and we have been doing classes. Might like to try your setup for the after work crowd.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Jerid Krulish

Profile:
I'm wondering about the instruction aspect as well. I could see it working "on the side," as in "hey, come show me how to clean" or a seperate one-on-one beginners class.

Great work with the kids, too! I'm so happy to see families get involved, esp. in our age of fatty-boom-batty 10 year olds. Very cool!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
Skip Chase

Profile:
Jacob, Typically, we average between 10 and 25 at any given time.

Imagine having (when we started) 2 C2 rowers, 7 medicine balls, 5 wall ball targets, 3 oly bars with between 3 and 400# of plates, 20-6' lengths of PVC, a set of parallel bars, one gymnastics high bar for pull-ups, 8 abmats, 2 sets of kettlebells 4-32kg, 10 jump rope, 4 reebok steps with 20 risers, rope to climb and a squat stand.

If you had 20 clients walk in the door at the same time, what would you do? What would your workout(s) look like?

Now imagine those same 20 clients walked in at different times during the same hour, say on 15 minute intervals. Would it be any easier to manage/ train those same clients?

Look at your equipment. What would you do with what you have if 20 people walk in at the same time? 30? 40? Would it be easier for you, managing clients and equipment if they came in at intervals?

It has worked for us. The equipment I listed is what we had for 6 months, with 60-80 clients. When a client walked in the door the first x# of times (the condition and abilities of each were different) they were taught movement, technique and form. NO COMPROMISE. This is the way it is done, and this is how you will do it. During workouts, for the first 4 months, it was just me on the floor. (Oct.2005-Jan 2006) We added 2 more trainers after the Jan 2006 cert. (2 current clients who were taught proper form and technique)

How many clients do you have? How much equipment do you have? Now, in your mind, double the clients..what would you do? Create the workouts on paper. If you are a CF trainer who studies the journal, and lives, breathes, walks and talks CrossFit, knows journal 21 backwards and forwards and gives it to every client, it is just a matter of time before your membership increases. Doubles and triples. Train THEM with your existing equipment.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
Randy Gruezo

Profile:
Skip,

Can you elaborate on your instruction methods again for the "Open Gym." I'm just a little confused particularly with the statement, "when a client walked in the door the first x# of times...."

Do you mean when they first sign up for Crossfit class you just focused on movt, technique, form and they DIDN'T do the WOD? Ultimately allowing them to participate in the WOD. How long will you spend with that individual(s)? at the same time trying to pay attention to other clients walking?

What about the others who are familiar with Crossfit, do they just come in and do the WOD and no instruction or very little?

Just trying to figure out that process because that is what I would like to utilize for my box. Especially here in Florida where traffic and s#$t happening that people can't come at the time they need too.