CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Steve Kaspar

Profile:
coming from a bicycle racing background, and eating lots of carbs, and protien, it looks like there is a difference in the way the cross fit athletes eat vs the way i ate for lots of years.
i am new ,as in 1 day to cross fit, and want to do everything the correct way. train, and eat, but what is an example of a good breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. i still plan on riding, but cutting my 4 hour rides down to 1-2 and doing all the crossfit WOD. please help here if anyone wishes to.

here is a sample of what i eat now. breakfast is blueberries strawberries and a bananna with a tablespoon of peanut butter 16oz skim milk, a cup of oatmeal and a 25 gram scoop of whey protien powder blended. a good drink.. snack is a power bar a carton of soy milk and a bananna lunch is rice or pasta with veggies and turkey or chicken in olive oil. snack is a clff bar and fat free yogurt. and dinner is chicken, steak fish turkey or eggs with pasta or rice or potatoes and veggies in olive oil. no butter no sweets. what should i change? my goal is to get good at crossfit ans pack on a few pounds. i'm 51, and 6'145# still racing pro 1-2 , but moving to a change in crossfit..thanks alot for the help
steve kaspar
Old 10-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Eat a variety of meats, fish, fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds.

It's best to stay away from grains and dairy.

Make your meats grassfed if you can afford it, and your fruits and veggies organic if you can afford that as well. Check out your local farmers market.

Get healthy fats like coconut oil, palm/palm kernal oil, olive oil, grassfed tallow, suet, and lard. Unhealthy fats are polunsaturated vegetable oils like corn oil. Strive to get eat your fat in the ratios found in grassfed/game animals which is approximately 45% saturated, 45% monounsaturated, and 10% polyunsaturated with a 1:1 to 2:1 omega-6 to omega-3 ratio.

If you are not eating grassfed animal products and are eating nuts and seeds this will definately necesitate the need for omega-3 supplementation through fish oil/cod liver oil/krill oil.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
In my case I eat when I get hungry – meaning when the hunger does not go away after a few minutes. Sometimes that's late morning, sometimes it's first in the evening.

When I eat 3 meals a day, I usually eat either 1-5 eggs in some way along with a handful of nuts, or I eat a bowl of fruit with nuts sprinkled over for breakfast. Lunch is meat and salad in any way and evening is meat and vegetables. Snacks during the day would be nuts, seeds or dried fruit. Along with all meals I have 1-5 fish capsules.

When I eat one meal a day, I usually go after what I crave. That'd normally be well spiced meat with a big bowl of fruits and vegetables and perhaps a smothie on the side made from frozen berries and sparkling water and a little syrup or honey.

But with this kind of question you can only expect a 1.000 answers ... Don't get confused along the way. Like Neal writes: Meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds'll get you a long way. And eat what you feel like. Your body will let you know what it misses.

Regarding post exercise nutrition I personally don't eat anything for an hour after training (just about the time it takes to stretch, go home, bathe, get dressed and prepare food), but if your aspirations are getting bigger and more muscular, you might want to eat just after. Meat and fruit I think I'll recommend, but others may have more qualified advices ...
Old 10-28-2006, 05:20 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Steve, we don't carb load consistently like endurance athletes traditionally do. As a matter of fact, we believe in shifting the metabolism to fat burning. To do this we eat a combination of lean protein (lean meat, fish, eggs, whey), simple carbs (mostly vegetables with some fruit), and fat (fish oil, olive oil, nuts (almonds and walnuts are tops), and seeds). The diet protocol recommended by Crossfit is the Athletes Zone diet. This consists of eating 40%-30%-30%, (Carbs-Pro-fat), until body fat drops to single digits and performance drops. Then fat blocks are added. This has become a highly contravercial subject lately...It's still recommended for CF athletes. Most people who fail on the Zone are not implimenting it properly and it's obvious when records of foods are analyzed. Mastering the Zone by Barry Sears, is the book of choice. There are two Crossfit Journals which cover the Zone, search for them in the CF store. Money well spent. Prior to people telling you this is a starvation diet, I'll tell you if you add the calories just from the Carbs, protein, and fat, the calories look very low. Know that these are raw numbers, without counting "crossover" calories, such as the fat contained within your lean meat. Or for that matter any calories contained from macro-nutrients, other than the main listed macro-nutrient. In other words we count almond butter as only a fat, even though it contains protein. We, initially, weigh and measure food to make sure we are getting the appropriate amount of macronutrients. After a few weeks of weighing you will have recipes and weights down. Now start reading.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Right also allot of people use zone macro nutrient ratios while using paleo guidelines for food quality this is a great way to go. It is a combination of what Neal and Larry said.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Steve Kaspar

Profile:
thanks alot for the pointers
steve kaspar
Old 10-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #7
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Neal, unless you know something that I don't, palm kernel oil isn't something you want to be eating. Stick to the red palm oil.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Neal Winkler

Profile:
What's wrong with it?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I think there is some deodorization and such of palm kernel oil. Could be wrong, but I know that palm and coconut oils are good for you.

Info on palm oil from something I wrote prior:
Palm oil is an excellent source of numerous vitamins, including Coenzyme Q10 which supports healthy heart function. It contains all eight forms of vitamin E – 4 tocopherols and 4 tocotrienols – along with high levels of vitamin A, mainly in the form of alpha- and beta-carotene, which provide the rich red color. Palm oil actually has fifteen times the beta-carotene (a form of vitamin A) content of a carrot and 300 times that of a tomato.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Jeff Dale

Profile:
You will see some big differences in your body composition if you make the switch to crossfit from all the milage you've been riding. Your strength gains sould be pretty significant too. You should take measurements of waist,chest,thighs, etc. because you will be gaining muscle mass and shouldn't be concerned with the weight gain, most of which should be muscle. By keeping track of your measurements you'll see the gain is in your muscles not around your middle.