CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Michael Latch

Profile:
Not hatin' on Randy, just looking at his squat form from a coach's perspective...after the split squats, he supersets squats with push-presses...I'm not likin' his squat form. If one of my people started squatting like that, I'd have three or four corrections for them. Am I crazy? I'm wondering what some other-more knowledgeable-Crossfit coaches or others might think.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3224902600571518938&q=randy+coutur e
Old 08-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
His squat form sucks. As does most of the 'technique' displayed in that video...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
I'll knock him then. First thing's first, he's not putting his weight on his heels, and you can see that in every single squat his torso is forward and heels come off the ground. Secondly he's a few inches shy of parallel in both the split and "full" squats.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Not crazy at all! His squats suck, the only thing he did half decently was the good mornings and he would have been better served with feet shoulder width apart. Lastly I was bored just watching, let alone picturing myself trying to use the routine!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Michael Latch

Profile:
The first thing I would prescribe for him, if he ever popped in, would be to practice squatting with his toes about 2" from the wall...that would solve a good portion of his mistakes....

As this thread continues, please be nice...I didn't start this thread so we could critique his fighting fitness, only to look objectively at his form.:happy:
Old 08-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
Bryan Edge

Profile:
I'm no expert by any stretch.. I recently started reading *Starting Strength* however, and his squat form does indeed look very poor by the standards of that (excellent) book. }
Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Fight Gone Lame....

Randy is one of those great examples of an athlete/fighter that wins despite his training not because of it.

That's not entirely fair, I'm pretty sure his actual sparring and fight training is much harder (and much more fun to watch). I'm sure it is his wrestling and boxing training that wins the fights for him. That video is probably a poor representation of his actual intensity of training.

I think Randy is awesome despite his poor squat form. I hope they paid him a lot of money for that video. The music was inspiring.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
Charlie Reid

Profile:
You guys are right that his form does indeed suck, however, a lot of fighters dont care if their form is stellar (even though it definitely would help their pursuits), they just want to build their work capacity, strength, injury prevention, etc. This is probably also due, in part, to bad coaching. Now that Crossfit and Kettlebell communities have been infiltrating the strength and conditioning of top level fighters, hopefully poor form and useless bodybuilding circuits will be a thing of the past...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #9
Michael Latch

Profile:
Well spoken, Charlie!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #10
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
in the video, the gentleman does a military press. my question to the forum is, is his form correct or should the bar drop to his clavicles?

or is it the push-press where the bar drops to the clavicles and the military press only goes down to chin level?

thanks