CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Vladimir Kalinin

Profile:
what's the worst deadlift injury you've seen?

Perhaps I should not worry about this too much, but I'd like to know how to best ease into performing deadlifts.

I'm 6' 6" and have never dead lifted before. How would you start? I've seen the techniques and proper form (ie. make sure the back is arched in, etc...).

I also read that I should not be deadlifting max weight while wearing running shoes, etc..

Any tips on how to increase the weight while minimizing injury?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Andrew Benton

Profile:
Re: what's the worst deadlift injury you've seen?

If you're really serious, find someone familiar with oly lifting in your area, and steal their eyes for a few sessions to help your form.

Also, get some weight lifting shoes or just go barefoot, its better than tennis shoes, as you are able to stay on your heels. Tennis shoes by design rock your feet forward so you end up trying to push through the front of your foot, losing a lot of power while doing so.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
If you're really serious, find someone familiar with oly lifting in your area, and steal their eyes for a few sessions to help your form.
My understanding of oly lifters is that they specifically don't do deadlifts. Maybe you meant a powerlifter?

Quote:
Also, get some weight lifting shoes or just go barefoot, its better than tennis shoes, as you are able to stay on your heels. Tennis shoes by design rock your feet forward so you end up trying to push through the front of your foot, losing a lot of power while doing so.
Weightlifting shoes also have a heel. The difference between is that the heel is incompressible on a weightlifting shoe as opposed to the cushy running shoe. Personally, I deadlift barefoot if I'm doing max efforts.

As to the original poster. The best thing to do is read up as much as possible on proper form. If you haven't done so, search through the forums. Even patrol the Digital Coaching forums for deadlift form and read the comments. Take a video of yourself and post it in that forum. If you haven't done so, read Starting Strength. It has almost everything you need to know about proper deadlift form and how to ramp up properly.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Kalinin View Post
Perhaps I should not worry about this too much, but I'd like to know how to best ease into performing deadlifts.
Start with low weights. Get a coach and/or videotape your form.

While it's certainly possible to injure yourself with deadlifts, asking your question before you even start suggests that you might be overestimating the risk.

Katherine
Old 11-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Buy a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and find a coach.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You worry too much.

It a dead lift not disarming a bomb. DOn't you ever pick things up? DId you get injured doing it?

Get a book, Pavel's POwer to the people is good, Rippetoes Starting Strength is better. Read it, then get a bar and some weights and go to it.

THe human body is not as frail as some people would have you believe.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

To answer your question, I have never seen anyone seriously injure their back deadlifting. The secret is to learn to stay tight and your chest out and thorasic spine forward when learning the lift. The "arched lower back" is not as necessary - you will learn that over time from a good coach or experienced lifter. Moreover, the olympic lifting idea mentioned above is not a bad one. The olympic lifts are lighter and the pulls for both lifts ( the snatch and clean and jerk) are optimal (assuming good coaching). Over time you will learn that the pull for these lifts is different than the pull for a good grind ME deadlift, but learning to pull the olympic lifts properly is a wonderful foundation for moving into the conventional deadlift. The shoe issue is personal preference, try both and see which works best for you - I alternate using oly shoes and chucks/vans skate board shoes (same thing, different names) workout to workout for a different body position.

With that said, the serious injury I've seen most frequent with deadlits is torn bicep tendons. This occurs most frequently from jerking the weight from the floor or just years of abuse.

Anything can happen, but don't let your height make you afraid of it. I'm not afraid to get my *** beat in a basketball game and I'm a walking troll doll.

Good luck and enjoy your quest for fitness.

All the best,
Arden
Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I've never seen any injury caused by a DL. Although, I have seen inumerable injuries that should have been avoided by more DL'ing.

And for Jaimie's sake, you may use the word "injury" and the word "dates" interchageably!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I'm still trying to get my date to deadlift.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
John Seiler

Profile:

I saw a guy scrape his shin pretty good one time. Oh, and once I almost tore a callous and my hands were really throbbing.

Just pimping you. Jamie's right; you're worrying too much. Get some good training and then go to it.