CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Paul Epstein

Profile:
Sharp pain on left side of lower back

I have started doing SS workouts and have notices i have been getting a sharp pain in the lower portion of the left side of my back - almost directly above my left butt cheek.

i notice it particuarly when im straighting up from bending at the waste (good morning type action) after bending picking something up incorrectly.

went for a surf yesterday and it started to hurt - not bad enough for me to stop but enough to worry.

potentially part of the problem is that my form has been falling apart on the work sets and my hips are coming up too much which leads to me needing to streighten at the back once my leds are streight at the top of the squat...

i guess my question is, is this something i should be able to work through with more strength and better form or is it something which will likely get worse and i should get looked at before i contuinue training?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Michael Francis Romano

Profile:
Re: Sharp pain on left side of lower back

is the pain you are referring to sciatica? If so, I would stop squatting for the time being, and see an orthopedist. That is what I should have done when I first began to experience the pain you're describing, but instead I kept squatting and rowing through it and it turned into a 2-3 month ordeal. good luck man!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
David Bittner

Profile:

Sounds like your hip flexors may be in spasm the iliopsoas connects to the low back. If it is sciatica you will have burning shooting pains down your leg. If you have this see a DR. It could be a variety of things. If you have problems straightening when getting out of a chair it is probably the flexors, and if you scoot forward on the chair and stand straight up like in a perfect olympic squat and straighten right up it would strongly look like the iliopsoas which is the only muscle that pulls in 2 directions 1. it bends you at the waist. (Good mornings) 2. it lifts your leg into parallel to the floor. Does it sound like any of these?

Last edited by David Bittner; 07-20-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Kathy Bertram

Profile:

Hey brother,
I have that SAME pain but it is on my RT site and goes into my butt and down my leg a bit. Had an MRI done and it's a friggin disk herniation. If you have any pain that is refering to another part of your body it's a nerve of some sort. Motrin, rest, all that stuff.
I am not gonna slow down cause i find when i quit moving it gets worse. Rather suck it up and press on than be a sloth on the couch. I guess do what you can, and if it really bugs you then ya, go to the doc.

good luck with it. i know it sucks!