CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Tony Zaborski

Profile:
Belts?

Did a bit of a search around but couldn't find anything in particular. When you guys/girls do heavy/max lifts do you ever wear weightlifting/powerlifting belts?

I sort of grew out of my powerlifting belt And not in a good way... almost back into it I think... but I haven't been using it and my heavy sets have been pretty solid. I've felt great and haven't felt like I really needed it.

When I was doing pullups in the squat rack some trainer was telling his trainee (who both looked in decent shape physically) you gotta wear that belt, always wear that belt , it'll help you so much, no matter what exercise you do. Good ol' globo gyms...
Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Belts?

This has been discussed before.. although not in it's own thread (usually within a thread) so it would be hard to find in a search.

Anyway, they help provide support (see intra-abdominothoracic pressure aka keeping core tight) to help ward off flexion of the spine which can result in herniate. If you're throwing up big weights and scared of such or had a previous injury, it might be a good idea to use them.

The general "rule" here I would say is not to use them mainly because if you're somewhere out there and need to use your fitness.. say lifting a tree or whatever off someone you're not going to have the equipment to use. So you need to be able to do it without equipment.. which is a fairly good argument.

I mean, you should definitely learn to do with without, but if you're putting up the heavy weights and know you have problems with keeping good form it might be a good idea to use to help avoid injury.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Michael Drew

Profile:

Weight belts artifically immitate the valsalva maneuver. If you need one your core is not strong enough to support the weight you are trying to move.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Justin McGinley

Profile:

if you do decide to use one, do NOT use one that is wider in the back than it is at the buckle. Use one with a constant width the whole way around.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Gant Grimes

Profile:

95% of the people here think belts are the anti-christ. 95% of the people here don't squat 400 pounds, either. If you're a former PLer, you know walking this out gets kind of dicey.

Generally, you should try to do your work sets without a belt because you don't need it. However, if you choose to wear it, you're still a good person, you're still going to get strong, and you're still going to strengthen your "stabilizer" and "core" muscles we like to talk about, and you're still going to be able to move logs, carry your wounded friend through floodwaters, fight ninjas, and all the other stuff that's going to happen to us in the near future.

Personally, I'll only strap up on the 2nd and 3rd attempts of a back squat and deadlift 1RM.