CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Bob Guere

Profile:
Need Female point of view

Ladies,

My wife and I have recently started zoning and crossfit. We are both overweight and have tried for years to find what works. I have been active, but not eating the right diet. My wife has never in her life been active, it's sort of a family tradition. But we're both motivated and are on the path now.

My question is about before and after photos. I'm all for it, and want to see progress visually, over time. My wife, who has agreed to do a before picture with me, is a little hesitant. I know she'll be happy in the end, but I want her to see the value in it now.

Have any of you found benefit in before/after/during photos as motivation, and did you find in the end that it really was an inspiration to make this a lifetime commitment? I want to be able to show her this post and see the advice from other female crossfiters/zoners/etc.

Thanks in advance ladies. You gals really do rock, and are an inspiration to this guy, I promise you that.

*EDIT* I guess that post makes my wife sound like a slouch. When I say she was not active, I should say only in her last couple adult years has she been active. We all started martial arts and that was the big catalyst for her.

Last edited by Bob Guere; 01-15-2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Needed to clarify
Old 01-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Shannon Kissling

Profile:
Re: Need Female point of view

Congrats on your decision to make CrossFit a part of your life!

I have personally just started Zoning....well, I am trying. I don't like veggies.
I have taken pictures of myself all along. I take one, or try to take one, on the first of every month. It really is motivating. You can see just how much this way of life works. Or you can see if you need to step it up a notch! I just took pictures today (lazy) and compared them to ones taken last month. WOW! I have visible abs! If you look hard haha! Anyway, my point is, before/after pics have definitely helped me. I knew that my midsection was a little mushy so I needed to buckle down on the diet and now I can see the effects of that.

Tell her to go for it. No one but you guys will see them (gotta love digital cameras!) and they are a real wake up call. I know mine were.

Good luck! Sorry this was so long and rambling!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Bob Guere

Profile:

Thanks for the post Shannon. I have visible abs too.... visible to an MRI!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Veronica Davis

Profile:

IMO picutres are the best way to track progress. They are way better than the scale. I think pictures are EXTREMELY important for women, b/c sometimes we can't see ourselves as we really are. We tend to look in the mirror and see the person we used to be as opposed to the person we are. The mirror lies... photos don't.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Those before pictures are motivating, but definitely a punch in the gut. It depends on the person. Some people think "I'm overweight", and they get an emotional response that makes them retreat to comfort foods. Others think "I'm overweight" and it pumps them up to drop the weight. Let me say this--you will probably look a lot worse than you expected. When we see ourselves in the mirror we see the parts we want to and mentally couch the parts we don't. A photograph doesn't give that "out".

You have been warned!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Maybe take the pix and then put them away for six months...promise herself she won't have to look at them until she's made noticeable improvement.
Either way (posted or stuck in a drawer) I do think it would be motivation - if only to avoid the horror of having your "after six months" pictures look exactly like your "before" pictures LOL...

Maybe I should take some "before"s...
Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
Bob Guere

Profile:

Good point Tirzah. If not motivational, maybe they would serve as a "disappointment-avoidance" technique?

Ashland Ohio.... I used to drive though on the 71 often on my way from Dayton to Upstate NY. Nice area if I recall, nice rolling hills, etc.

Last edited by Bob Guere; 01-15-2008 at 11:16 AM..
Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

About 4 years ago, I weighed over 230 pounds. Don't know exactly how much more because I stopped weighing myself for a while, that 230 marker was on the way down.

Part of what empowered me to get started was reading the weight loss blogs of big losers, and looking at their B&A photos. I used to think you needed to be Oprah to lose weight, with a staff of people including secretaries, housecleaners, personal trainers and a private chef. After reading these blogs, I realized that ordinary people without personal chefs and a private spa staff could do it, and I could do it, too.

Take the photo of your wife and put it away. Don't have her look at it until there's a visible difference. It will come in MOST handy when she's reached her goal as motivation to never go back there again.

My B&A photos are viewable on my blog http://www.susierosenberg.blogspot.com/ (wfs)

I wish you both after photos of your own, which you will acheive if you just do your best, be patient and consistent, and don't quit.

Susie
Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Bob Guere

Profile:

Thanks so much, Susie. I'm forwarding your blog address to my wife right now.

How's the weather? Did you get blasted with snow? I grew up in Amsterdam, about 30-45 west of you, and do not miss the snow.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Take the pictures and hide them if she prefers. But for me, seeing pics during my sister's wedding was enough of a catalyst to drop the extra 12lbs I picked up somewhere.