CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
William Brownley

Profile:
Help from any diagnosticians out there, professional or amateur appreciated. I am new to cross fit and 50. I know a lot about knees, but I have never had a shoulder injury, despite playing rugby until age 48, at prop. I was doing dips and pull-ups. There was a gradual onset of pain. Now, range of motion does not seem to be limited or painful. Pull ups with palms facing are painful, but after warm up I can do them no problem. Dips, again are painful but after warm up no problem strength wise. Pullups with a standard overhand grip, no apparent pain. Pushups, no apparent pain. An occassional twinge when walking around, nothing I would notice. Reaching across my body and down, painful. Oddest of all, I go to sleep and eventually shoulder becomes very painful if I move in my sleep. Anybody have any ideas about what this is and how to treat it? I am not much for doctors unless surgery is necessary. I apologize for the length, thanks, Bill
Old 02-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
amateur only

Sounds like you have a minor injury inflammation from overuse (ramping up work too fast) or possibly a small pull/tear.

I would treat it the same way if it were my shoulder (and it has been) take it easy on the workouts affecting your shoulder for awhile, ice after workout and in evening if irritated.

When I started doing crossfit my shoulders got somewhat hammered by the number of pullups I was doing but I acclimated.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
William Brownley

Profile:
Craig--thanks, I have been doing that plus using this stuff a friend gave me called Tiger Balm, which (although it stinks) seems do a great job of putting some heat on my shoulder. thanks again, Bill
Old 02-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Chris Tracy

Profile:
I've had shoulder injuries and pain off and on for years, mainly scare tissue and inflamation issues. Rest and ice should be the first course of action. Next I'd add 800mg doses of ibuprofen to reduce inflamation, pain, and to help you sleep. Next, I would see a Chiropractor for Active Release Technighes after a thorough examination. A.R.T. is painful (I've had to swallow my pride and tap out on a few occasions) and will more than likely take a number of visits but it has worked better than anything else I've tried.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:24 AM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
I have used Tiger Balm for injuries bubt now actually prefer another product called "China Gel." Check it out perhaps.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
bill, i'm right there with you but i originally developed shoulder issues playing racquetball and further when i had a brief revisitation with competitive swimming. i thought i rehabilitated myself with basic shoulder warmup/rehab exercises until i started crossfit a few months ago. i experience little to no pain during workouts, occasionally move an arm in the wrong direction during the normal course of a day and feel a twinge, and WHEN I SLEEP i experience the sharpest pain...i wake myself up sometimes when i roll over on a shoulder, etc.

the simple shoulder rehab exercises have helped somewhat, as well as loading up on ibuprofen after lots of pullups, dips, ohs, cleans, even the occasional bench press, etc. i honestly can't even figure out exactly what exercises are causing the problem, but it seems to be chronic rather than accute and you seem to be in the same boat.

search in the injuries threads for links to illustrations of the shoulder warmup/rehab exercises. i can't find them right now but they're around and very helpful.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
William Brownley

Profile:
Thanks to all. Sarena, I will try the china gel if I can find it. I like the tiger balm but it has a powerful odor. Greg et.al.--wise advice. Certainly a strange kind of injury, but it does seem chronic versus acute. I wasn't sure what I had, and I tend to down play injuries, sometimes to my detriment. I once went a week on a ruptured patellar tendon, hoping it would "heal", and three weeks on an ACL rupture in the same vain hope. Those things had dramatic impacts on mobility, and always hurt. As Greg says, this is intermittent and only really hurts on dips. So Far. Thanks again for all the help. Bill
Old 02-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
David Plakos

Profile:
not sure why you don't like the smell of tiger balm. it smells like juicy fruit gum.

if you want a linament stronger than tiger balm, you can try white flower.

wing lam's martial arts supply (http://www.wle.com/ (w/f safe) has plenty of goodies as well.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
William Brownley

Profile:
David--I love the smell of tiger balm, tiger balm in the morning smells like....victory. But, no one else in my house loves it, not even the dogs.
I am ok with a little suffering on their part if necessary, but a less pungent odor would be good.
thanks, Bill
Old 02-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
Peter Howarth

Profile:
Hi Bill.Sounds like a rotator cuff tear in which case the A.R.T. will work great,along with gentle rom exercises.Ibuprofen for a short time as its quite hard on the stomach,a milder pain relief for longer term.
Usually about 6 weeks to heal if taken care of, during which time the A.R.T. practitioner will be able to pinpoint the problem better and give proper medical advice.