CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Ok, so I had a week off from school for Easter Break and had a lot of time to workout. Unfortunately I got a bit carried away a worked out too much. I was lifting heavy every day and doing lots of back work (deads, cleans, pull-ups, snatches, all heavy) and now both of my rear deltoids hurt like hell, with the left hurting especially bad. I tried doing the new burpee WOD yesterday and just couldn't do it because the pain was so bad. The day before that I tried doing some light overhead squats and couldn't do those either. Any time I try to do anything with my arms I get tingly feelings in my wrists, elbows, and espcially my shoulders. Obviously I've injured myself like an idiot. What should I do? I hate be inactive with a passion. Should I just try to do something light or just do nothing and relax until the pain diminishes? I'm pretty sure I just overtrained my back really badly, so I don't think I need to see a doctor.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Greg,
I would lay off most OH work (handstands, presses, weighted OHS) until the DOMS goes away, so that you can properly evaluate whether you think the damage is worth seeing a doctor.

Stay light, do whatever you can that you know will not cause pain. Pain will cause more guarding, which will create a one step forward, two steps back situation. Do more anterior chain exercises for now.

Your hatred of inactivity gives you a lesson to learn here. Be patient with yourself and your progress--you've got plenty of time in your young life to exercise.

The tingly feeling isn't a great sign. If that doesn't go away with the DOMS, then you may want to see a professional. I can see about recommendations, let me know if/when the time comes.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Thanks Dr.G, I find that any exercise involving the upper body really doesn't go over well. Too much pain. I was thinking of dropping carbs to ketogenic levels since I really wanna lay off the exercise and rest until the pain goes away. I think that will minimize fat gain/muscle loss. I might incorporate a lot of walking for the next couple of weeks, and since me and my buddy just got back into skateboarding I will probably do some light riding to stay active. I'll definitely let you know if the symptoms persist. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Greg,
Do you really believe this is just extreme DOMs or is this an injury of a higher magnitude? Were there any incidences of major form breaks in your workouts?

I'd be careful with the skating, one fall and you may get really messed up with your arm(s) situation
Old 04-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I don't think it's DOMs. I think I might have just badly strained the muscles. This type of thing has happened to other muscles before (my ankle from doing squats in the past, and my hamstring from sprinting). Basically, I'm feeling the same type of pain that I had with those two injuries, which eventually healed. The ankle lasted a good 3 months, a major setback, and the hamstring was pretty minor (both pre-crossfit). The only difference I see now is the tingly feeling, which isn't chronic(this whole injury occured only a few days ago), it only happens if I try to lift heavy objects, specifically over head lifts. From the looks of it I don't think this problem will require any medical attention as long as I lay off the exercise and let it heal. The main concern I have is with maintaining my fitness while taking time off. I certainly won't be doing the WOD, but I would like to do atleast some sort of physical activity to keep myself both sane and somewhat fit. The problem is that I don't really know how to go about doing so without further hurting myself. With past injuries I simply took time off and completely avoided exercise, resulting in serious losses in muscle and an extra new layer of unwanted body fat. This time I want to do it right, and go back into the WOD with something to show for it, rather than just being an out-of-shape mess. To actually answer your question, no, my form was good, but I was just lifting too heavy and too frequently to give my body any reasonable amount of recovery. And this was on top of the WOD! So, I consider myself lucky that I didn't get really messed up. Stupid, but lucky. I'm hoping to get over this ASAP because I was planning on doing some experiments with intermittent fasting and fat and carb loading and if I'm injured then my experiments will be useless, atleast for Crossfit knowledge and purposes.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
If your arms aren't too bad, you could do some interval running and bodyweight leg-oriented workouts (like that broad jump, lunge, squat workout from months ago). All depends on how the arm movements, being faster and "lighter" feels on your arm. Great time to work on some plyo-type stuff. Try some POSE drills, pistols, jump rope, etc. Just throwing things out there.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
It's been so long since I was your age that it's hard for me to tell. What you describe would not be unusual for someone my age who had overdone it. I would say give it 2-3 days of rest with ice on the rear delts today followed by moist warmth for the following 2 days (20 minute sessions) and some massage. Also some ibuprofen for anti-inflammatory properties. If they are still sore when just doing nothing, then you might want to consider seeing an orthopedist in case you have a tear or strain. However, you don't mention any kind of sharp pain during your exercise so I think it's probably just overuse. At your age, overuse should be quickly repaired by the body.

If you are out of commission, then you have all the leg exercises you can do. Your arms should be ok for deadlifts (right?) and you could do squats with a belt (Ironmind sells a kit for that).

Rear delts are pretty small muscles that aren't necessarily used as much as the front so they can get overused pretty easily.

Hope you heal quickly.

(Message edited by eroyce on April 16, 2006)
Old 04-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
GOOD STUFF Dr.G, I didn't even think of that stuff. I was thinking more along the lines of bike riding, walking, and skateboarding but I think your method will definitely preserve more muscle mass. Plus, I think I could use a good leg week so when I come back to Crosfit full force I'll have a nice strong leg base. Elliot, I think you're right on; I doubt it's anything serious but I definitely can't do deadlifts, those and cleans seem to cause the most pain aside from OH squats.