CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Dan Snyder

Profile:
Interested in hearing if anyone out there has experienced headaches during max efforts etc. I've just begun last week to experience headaches while lifting and I've never been one to get headaches. I'm a fairly experienced lifter (7+ years, I'm a Fire Dept Peer Fitness Trainer, bw=170@ 10% fat). No change in or additional stress lately. I'm sure I drink too much coffee. Sleep's screwed up but has been for years - I'm a fireman. I know this is vague but, ideas?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
The muscles around your neck and upper back might be tight. Try some rotations and gentle stretching on a regular basis and see if it helps.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
Dan Snyder

Profile:
Anthony, on duty today, first chance I've had to post. The headaches are definitely situational so I'm guessing it has to be some kind of tension but DAYAM it feels like a spike being driven through my head. Front squats, even light, are the worst but today I set a deadlift pr and nada. I'm gonna get it checked out because it's too sudden onset with no real change in life/stress/diet/workouts. It doesn't affect my work yet (spent about 6 hours in turnouts today - sweated out the equivalent of BW) and no HA. So, blood pressure may not be such a big component. Hmmmmmm... I'll post what, if anything, I learn from the Doc.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
dan,

i'm wondering, what's your head position like? when you stand back up against a wall, how far away from the wall is your head? if you have excessive forward head posture the muscles, tendons, blodd vessels, even nerves are in a suboptimal position, which of course can lead to pain/headaches.

In a max effort lift, your body might respond by pushing the head forward even more on squats and overhead lifts.

just my thoughts.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Allan Fisher

Profile:
Definitely get it checked out, but I had a similar experience a couple of years ago (specifically, pain in the back of the head) and turned up trigger point therapy in searching the web. A little self-treatment cleared it right up (trigger points in the upper back), and I've been able to clear a variety of other twinges since.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
What's your Blood Pressure and have you had any added stress at your job, persistent fatigue? Also Anthony's post has merit because I had the same thing and had my girlfriend massage my upper traps and neck and it seemed to help.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
Dan Snyder

Profile:
A little more history, this whole thing began doing that WOD where you rack a 75# BB and do lunges alternating with push press around a track. Burly. Onset was sudden. Didn't feel like I strained anything or even that anything was tight. I'm sure that BP was high, and HR was in the 90+% range

Andrew, I stand straight as a board against a wall or not, but I kow what you mean by head-forward posture.

Allan, I get pretty normal massages (about once a month) but in the past when I've had stiff neck or upper back muscles it has presented itself differently (ie stiffness, point tenderness etc.) right now I've got full ROM in neck/head movement.

Jason, need to take my BP while working out. Have failed to do so to this point. Stress: crazy at work but, pretty consistently crazy (doesn't feel too stressful). Got deployed to New Orleans with COTF-1 right after Katrina - longest/shortest/wildest/hardest 10 days of my life. Holidays were amazingly slow (Christmas trees + lights = fires as do propane/kerosene heaters). Workouts have been consistent and going really well, have set numerous PRs in several lifts (bench, squat, dead). Oly lifting is new to me as is the OH squat but I'm not pushing the envelope with those either. I've got an appointment with a chiro and masseuse today. I'll post when I get back.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #8
Allan Fisher

Profile:
Dan, re trigger points: when I had this I had full ROM, no stiffness, just an ugly headache on heavy exertion. I tracked it to some trigger points that hurt a bunch when massaged but resolved after a few sessions. If what you're doing doesn't resolve it, have a look at http://triggerpoints.net/_sgt/m1m1_1.htm.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
Dan Snyder

Profile:
Allan, thanks for the link. Great info. I've got a theracane that I'll be using to hit the back of my neck. Went to the Chiro, and that didn't touch it, couldn't get in for a massage... Damn. Breathing more, opening mouth (not gritting teeth), when lifting seems to help reduce severity and delay onset. Doc's appt set up for the 8th. Can't wait.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
Dan Snyder

Profile:
Saw a doc yesterday. He was very concerned. Today I have an appointment to get a contrast CT scan. Whoa. He thought it might be new onset migraines of some sort but he was also concerned due to their sudden beginning while lifting that it could be an aneurism.

Guess I'd rather know than not know. Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Be careful out there.