CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
Bryan Hood

Profile:
Doing CF While Trying to Get Pregnant

One of my members just recently had a talk with me stating she has been advised to stop CF for a while. Through tears she told me that she and her husband are trying to get pregnant and her doc told her that CF is too intense for her right now. She's one of my top athletes and I hate to lose her for a while but if it's what's best then so be it. Does anyone know anything about trying to get pregnant while doing CF?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Selina McFall

Profile:
Re: Doing CF While Trying to Get Pregnant

Giving up completely sounds a bit extreme - I think it's just toning things down that is needed. However, maybe she'd find it difficult to scale things back, so a complete break was suggested?

http://www.whattoexpect.com/preconce...pregnancy.aspx
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Unless she is high risk, or has had a miscarriage(s) in the past I also think it's extreme. While pregnant, high risks are reasons I would rather them not be at my affiliate...strictly for liability reasons.

There is tons of research regarding the benefits of exercise during pregnancy. Introduce her to scaling. It's part of the beauty of what you offer. Currently we have 7 pregnant members...we scale as needed, and they reduce the intensity as needed. Being active before, and during pregnancy has way to many positive benefits to ignore.

Her doctor is taking the path of least liability.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
Does anyone know anything about trying to get pregnant while doing CF?
I'd recommend they try that in their garage gym with the door closed unless they dont have neighbors or at the very least during hours the box isn't open to the public. Prospective members might get the wrong idea.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Griffin View Post
I'd recommend they try that in their garage gym with the door closed unless they dont have neighbors or at the very least during hours the box isn't open to the public. Prospective members might get the wrong idea.

Dude, I totally didn't even think about how I worded that. That's hilarious!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Isn't their a CrossFitMom or Pregnancy that covers this?

Basically, getting pregnant is hard enough. Subjecting the body to stress makes it harder.

Priorities, man. Do you want to get pregnant and dedicate yourself to that or do you want to try to half *** them both?

Annie Sakamoto was able to get preggo while doing CF and low body fat levels but I would think this is the exception and not the norm.

As well, chances of pregnancy are always higher when body fat levels are higher.

Honestly, they are probably best not following a strict diet ala Zone. Paleo is fine but they should maintain a high enough body fat level to continue to have menses as regular as they normally would.

More than likely the body will still be able to conceive unless they are really going at it hardcore like a firebreather. Too much body stress.

Obviously once conception has happened, stop with the stupid ****. Scale back, no stupid high volume workouts and eventually over time they will need to probably give up the intense movements with barbells. They don't have to, but why put up with the risk.

Again, don't do stupid ****. Besides stuff like medball cleans and SDHP, etc. Heheh.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Richard Colon

Profile:

I've worked with many pregnant clients, although not any that are "in the process of trying". Basically, the doc trumps all else, and that is usually not the case for me. So many docs, regardless of their knowledge of the body and how things work have absolutely no clue about strength, conditioning, intensity, a gym environment etc.

Pregnancy however, it is more of a piece of mind/comfort thing. Regardless of what I know can still be allowed when pregnant, if they defer to their doctor (as they should, because that is the guy that will bring the child into this world) then I will not go against that. To do so would be telling your client "ignore the doc, trust me this is ok for you."

That doesn't bring about a whole lot of confidence and comfort in your gym. If something goes wrong, who do they ask? - the doc, not you. If something feels weird, who do they ask? - the doc, not you. In the end, if they don't get pregnant or something goes wrong during the pregnancy do you want that blame, or the possibility of "maybe I should have listened to the doctor?" This isn't a "damn I ended up needing knee surgery" which is bad enough. We are talking about the most important thing on the planet for most people - especially the women trying to. As for the "in the process/trying to get pregnant thing" well...

Creating a life trumps Crossfit. Bottom line, have her explain exactly what is done in classes/Crossfit to her doc. If it is that important to her, then she should be willing to do this. Give a list of X amount of movements and have her explain them to the doctor - again easy enough if she is one of the better athletes. Let the doc cross off whatever he wants and have her truly ask him to respect her desire to train despite having a baby. Maybe he will give her a list of stuff "she can do". Now, you have her training with the doctors blessing. Everyone wins.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 08-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Griffin View Post

kettlebell swings might help with technique..
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
One of my members just recently had a talk with me stating she has been advised to stop CF for a while. Through tears she told me that she and her husband are trying to get pregnant and her doc told her that CF is too intense for her right now. She's one of my top athletes and I hate to lose her for a while but if it's what's best then so be it. Does anyone know anything about trying to get pregnant while doing CF?
Check pm