CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Lisa Smalheiser

Profile:
Question for the women (menstrual cycle)

Hi,

I was wondering is any other women out there had any changes in their period when they first started crossfit. I have been following the zone diet and crossfit for about 3 months, and I have not gotten my period for about 3.5 months. Did anyone else experience this due to the increase in working out and decrease in body fat? If so, did it just come back on its own, or did you have to change anything in your workout/diet routine?

Thanks!

Lisa
Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Question for the women (menstrual cycle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Smalheiser View Post
Hi,

I was wondering is any other women out there had any changes in their period when they first started crossfit. I have been following the zone diet and crossfit for about 3 months, and I have not gotten my period for about 3.5 months. Did anyone else experience this due to the increase in working out and decrease in body fat? If so, did it just come back on its own, or did you have to change anything in your workout/diet routine?

Thanks!

Lisa
a) are you pregnant?

b) this has never happened to me...but it does happen to women that exercise a lot. as far as i've read (somebody correct me if i'm wrong), while the symptom isn't necessarily sinister (and let's be honest here, it's way more convenient to NOT get your period every month), it generally means that something ELSE isn't working correctly. it could mean you're doing too much/not eating enough/not recovering well enough. etc...

c) somebody smarter than me should weigh in soon
Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Assuming you're not pregnant... Some female athletes do have menstrual disturbances. Sometimes these are related to serious undereating, up to and including eating disorders. Sometimes they are just the body's reaction to stress. Might be worth talking to your doctor if you're concerned.

Katherine

On edit: It occurs to me that inadequate food is actually a problem for a lot of active Zoners, at least until they get things dialed in. How much are you eating?

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 09-14-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Very common for women who are under too much stress, be it exercise, food, job, etc.

exercising in the wrong way can definitely drive hormonal imbalance, along with excessive sympathetic activity
Old 09-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Have your thyroid checked. High thyroid can cause problems with menses cycle.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Serena Reyes

Profile:

I have the same problem. I haven't gotten my period in months since starting corssfit. I eat Paleo, I eat enough and I'm not sure what my body fat % is but it's not low enough that it should affect my menstrual cycle. I do have issues with spotting the day after really heavy lifts.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It may not just be an issue that your body fat is too low, it may be too low for your genetics. Everyone has different optimal zones.

More than likely, stress, sleep deficit and not enough zone blocks.

Just like someone else said, your body may still be in WTF mode it being only 3 months if it was a drastic change of lifestyle from before. That being the Zone or CF.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Are you on the pill?

Aromatase is an enzyme made in your fat base that controls the production of estrogen. If your too thin you might not have enough estrogen to build a uterine lining.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
Desiree Doucet

Profile:

Lisa -

My period stopped a few years ago and while I found it quite convenient, after a while it began to concern me. After consulting with a few doctors, I was diagnosed with PCOS - Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's very common in women. You may want to get checked out by a doctor.

CF has had the opposite effect on my period I am now more normal than ever and I think it's because of the exercise. I've been on the Zone diet and haven't experienced issues so far. I've been doing CF since July of this year. My BF is around 30%, hopefully a bit lower now. I am aiming for the low 20% as my ideal BF %.

It could be a coincidence in timing that you just started CF and now you're having these issues. The two things could be unrelated. I have no medical training, just sharing my experience.

I hope everything is okay! Keep us posted.

Desi
Old 09-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Lisa Sanfilippo

Profile:

Hi Lisa,
There are so many variables that play into secondary amenorrhea. Triad athlete, exercise stress, emotional stress, overtraining/undereating, cysts and etc.
I can't really think of any female Crossfitter's that lost their periods from CrossFitting and zoning. Actually, their cycles became more regular. On the flipside I am aware of female CrossFitters becoming amenorrheic when they ADDED additional workouts to their CrossFit workouts, did not take rest days and didn't eat enough to balance the caloric expenditure.

Again, lots of variables. Hope this helps. Lisa S