CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Matthew A Foxworthy

Profile:
Mind Body Online Yes or No

I am a new affiliate and wondering the best way to run and manage my business. how many people actually use this product and whats the verdict? is the service pretty good? i want to do credit card payments and the whole nine yards. but also just starting out so would you recommend waitin to see how turnout goes?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Steven Bowser

Profile:
Re: Mind Body Online Yes or No

Matt,
Wish I could help you out by experience but I cant. I can only tell you from the little research I been doing that its got pretty good reviews however a little more expensive than Zenplanner (if I am spelling it right). I too am looking for a program so I will be watching this post.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Jonathan Kinnick

Profile:

I would say yes. We use it. It took a little bit to get it set up how I wanted it, but now it saves me a LOT of time. I wish we would have started using it sooner. Our growth has picked up substantially since we started using it. It keeps my attendance/income organized and I think it conveys a level of professionalism to our clients.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Jonathan Kinnick

Profile:

I thought I'd add a little more info about how we use it. We have people set up on contracts/auto-pay and it makes that whole area a lot easier for me.

We have our schedule set up through them on the web, and our clients pre-register for our available time slots, which gives us an idea of who's coming when.

We have the credit card reader(bought a magtek online for like $55, get keyboard emulation, not HID), which works very well for letting people sign themselves in for classes once they get there (You can assign any card with a barcode to their account, allowing them to swipe-in). This makes tracking attendance a breeze, and it notifies you if someone comes in too many days or whatnot.

Also, I'm now hooked on their dashboard screen that shows graphs of month-to-date revenue and attendance, as well as a history bar graph. It's encouraging to see them inching upward each month.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Matthew A Foxworthy

Profile:

Hey thanks for the input. so the program lets you give each member a barcode and they sign in each time they come in? will a flag come up if the are over due or what not? how much if you dont mind me asking does your service run you. is it really the 65 base price they advertise a month or does it change?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Zach Forrest

Profile:

We use MBO and it has been one of the best decisions we've made so far. It saves us a TON of time handling membership tracking/payments.

You can give each person a barcode and have them swipe a membership card when they arrive if you want. And yes, a notice/flag will appear if they are overdue or suspended or whatever. Or you can save money and just check in people manually like we do (each plastic ID card with barcode costs around $3-4 each I think...plus the hardware for the computer). It truly is a streamlined program.

We've been going for almost a year now and it's still $65 per month...nothing more (except Merchant Account fees, but you pay those anyway).
Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
Steve Rakow

Profile:

Yes. Get it now before you're too far down the line and it becomes a pain to switch over. We've used MBO for a little less than a year and it has streamlined everything we do. Prior to that, we just used QuickBooks and had to track down money every month and had difficulty tracking everything from payments to class attendance and scheduling. MBO makes it simple.

We still, however, use QB for the backoffice accounting and other aspects of running the finacial end of the business. Now, instead of entering each client's payments into QB as they come in, we just do a weekly download of transactions from our bank (via internet) and update the deposits as coming from MBO with the cost account code of sales-MBO. If we need to see who actually paid and break down the deposit, MBO can tell us that in an instant.

Steve
Old 05-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Terry Dickman

Profile:

I help manage the books for our affiliate and had a question…for those affiliates that use MBO, what would you recommend for minimum membership size to start using MBO? Example…is it cost effective if an affiliate only had 25-30 members? Would you add it now in hopes of growing your membership to say 50 or more?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
James lee

Profile:

if i had to do it all over again, i would get MBO from day 1 or have it setup and ready to go before opening doors so that you can use it starting with your 1st client. As for the cost, the monthly is actually cheaper for me if you add everything together because MBO comes with Merchant service or there is no separate gateway fee. last month they had 50% off the enrollment so that help out too.

bad side is that there is a bit of a learning curve.. hence i recommend getting it all setup before you open doors. Its been a bit of a pain trying to learn, transition, use the program while having clients before the system.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
Jonathan Kinnick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Forrest View Post

You can give each person a barcode and have them swipe a membership card when they arrive if you want. And yes, a notice/flag will appear if they are overdue or suspended or whatever. Or you can save money and just check in people manually like we do (each plastic ID card with barcode costs around $3-4 each I think...plus the hardware for the computer).
We don't use a barcode scanner. You can actually just use the credit card reader and have the client use any card with a magnetic strip (e.g. Driver's License, Credit Card, School ID, even old gift cards work). Just assign the card to their profile. That way there is no additional cost if you already have the credit card reader. I agree, the barcode setup is way too expensive to implement.