CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-10-2003, 11:03 PM   #1
Ari Vuorte

Profile:

I've been doing Cross Fit 1.5 months and I'm sorry
to say that in this time frame the results are not very impressive. My schedule looks like this
WOD mon,tue,wed and fri,sun Krav Maga 90 min.

I was expecting to see the benefit's in KM classes but No. Is it so that I'm expecting too much too
soon?? Just wondering because with a bit different
approach I can get the condition up faster...??

I'm 34 years old, 165 pounds and fairly lean and I
have been training most of my life in differernt sports mainly Martial Arts.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:10 AM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
This is difficult to answer but I will put in my $.02. 6 weeks is not a very long time. That is 18 workouts if I am reading your posts correctly. How are you measuring your benefits? I do brazilian jiu jitsu and I can't say for sure if I saw dramatic results in my first month or so but I knew I was on the right track. I certainly had made great improvements within about 4 months if I recall. I was able to measure this by how long I was able to roll compared to my training partners. I don't know how you would judge it in your training because I don't know how it is structured. Lastly (and please don't take this the wrong way) , how close are you following the protocol and how much are you putting into the efforts. The workouts themselves are a very good measure of your progress. I am able to put forth much greater effort (and recover much more quickly) than when I started. As a result, I am getting more out of my workouts now than I was before. The first month or so, one is generally just getting used to the movements and the demands of the program. Later, you really turn up the heat. If you jumped in full force, you should be damn exhausted after each workout. I don't know if this information helped you at all but I hope that it did. Good luck to you.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:27 AM   #3
Gary Ullery

Profile:
I again with Patrick. I also think it depends are where you started. It sounds like you are fairly active and fit already. It will probably take a bit longer to see the results you are looking for. Compared to someone like me, who was out of shape, over weight, etc, I saw results very quickly. I have been busting my hump on the WODs and have seen a hugh increase in every area. I haven't worked this hard since playing ball in college over 14 years ago!
Keep at it, you get out what you put in, and sooner than later, you will see good things and you will know that you are on to something great!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:32 AM   #4
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
A few things...

-obviously, consistantly ensure that you are giving 110% effort. I am not saying that you aren't, but alot of times, with any training, this seems to be an issue with alot of people.

-maybe you need to do the WOD three times a week.
You may be overtraining. Do not underestimate this.

I hope this helps.

In his name.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Ari:

You described yourself as "34 years old, 165 pounds and fairly lean and I have been training most of my life in differernt sports mainly Martial Arts."

Heck, you may have already been in excellent shape before you started CrossFit.

Based on my own experience, the postings here, and the people that I've introduced to CrossFit, most people just starting out experience tremendous stress (and tremendous benefit) in the anaerobic-pathway stuff . . . the ability to go all out for 90 seconds to 3 minutes, using a LOT of different muscle groups (maybe even a lot of different muscle groups all at once).

So, if you're not experiencing the hoped-for benefits, I would have to bet that it's one of two things:

(a) you were already relatively experienced in that particular exercise modality (true 110% all-out effort for the duration of a "fight" (3 minutes?)), probably from your MA background

or

(b) you haven't really been giving it your all on the workouts.

Actually, I suppose it could be both . . . if you're going hard, really hard, in MA classes regularly, you might not feel that you have the drive to go all-out in the WOD. I could understand that reaction, but I think it would limit the benefit you get from CrossFit.

For me, it's a simpler situation . . . CrossFit is my one and only chance each day to do something physically all-out . . . so I do (well, most of the time . . . some days I just dog it).

If you are already fit, then I think CrossFit will still offer long-term benefits anyway . . . particularly from its insistence on stressing your body in a wide variety of ways (e.g., OH squats, rope climbs, mixing 20-minute rows on some days with max-effort DL on another). From that variety, I think it's likely that a CrossFitter will develop superior capability across a wider range of physical expressions than anyone else . . . but that particular kind of benefit will take longer to see.

Best regards,
Dave

Old 03-11-2003, 05:01 PM   #6
Coach

Profile:

Hi Ari!

A few questions MAY help me figure out what's going on.

1. Are you WOD'ing three days per week? I wasn't sure from your post.
2. What is your height?
3. What did you eat for the past three days?
4. What was your performance (quantify) on some of the WOD's?
5. How have the WOD's impacted you (qualify)?
6. What do you think is missing in your fitness and what would you bring up faster and how?
7. Typify, if you will, your old regimen with examples of workouts.

Coach
Old 03-11-2003, 11:44 PM   #7
Ari Vuorte

Profile:

Hi all,

to Coach:

1. I started with 3 WOD's per week + 2 KM sessions, reduced to 2 WOD's in second week did not seem to recover fast enough, so I quess the start was too rough and I train 7am..
2. My height is 180cm (6feet?), sorry about the metrics, I'm European :wink:
3. I try to follow Semi Paleo 5 days week, meaning only Grains I eat is rye bread ( and my morning oatmeal and in the weekends I give myself a little break not eating tons of junk food though...
4.Quantify: From my training log examples
WOD1
DL 10x70KG ,
RoW 500m 1:58,1:59 and 2:02
3 rounds, total 20 min
WOD2
BB 5x72,5kg,5x72,5kg
Pull-Up 1x5, 1x4
500m row 1,55.4 and 2,02
tot 2 rounds and 17 minutes
WOD3
Hang and Clean 5x35kg; 5x 37,5kg; 3x40kg; 3x45kg
1x50kg; 1x60kg; 1x60kg
Run 800m time 4:22 Running is done indoors with machine so you cannot give all out with that one
immeadetly since it takes time to reach the speed you are after...
5. Impact: I get very sore after a day or two and I love to do those since I love short intense burst
6. When I'm sparring or grappling I seem to miss what I call the final edge you now when things start to go really rough and you are out of breath
and you should go on and on so the missing link is really the 30 gallon gas tank to perform as long as needed.. I now this because I have been in that kind of shape when you feel you can do almost everything and that feels great
7. Basically two regimens
1. Thai Boxing once a week 90 min
2. 3 Mile cross country track 2 times aweek
including these stations : jumps over fences 5x5
jog to next station pull-up 3x max
jog to next st push-presses with logs from chest
level 4 different sizes 4-5 reps explosive from small to big one
jog to next st hill runs 3-6 runs 60 sec rest
3. Just upper and lower body weight trainig once a week bodybuilding style
4. used my bike everywhere I went

Second regimen
1 Kick-B 2 times a week 90 min these were really hard workouts
2. Circuit weight training 2 times a week
3. Running outdoors intervals 50m fast 100m slow

Okay this is it, now waiting coaches comments.

Br, AJ