CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-17-2005, 04:45 AM   #1
John Burket

Profile:
I'm back posting sooner than I thought, for better or worse.

I quit caffeine using a two-step approach.

First, I went 3 weeks only taking decaf tea, and taking lots of magnesium taurate (magnesium chloride would also work) for the jitters. For the initial two day headache, aspirin helps a little.

Second, after 3 weeks, I dropped all caffeine. The secondary "hangover" does not involves any headaches or muscle aches, but makes you extremely lethargic. I tried about 20 different supplements, but none worked. I still felt like Rip Van Winkle. Then, today, 4 days after dropping all caffeine and still feeling very sleepy, I tried amino acids L-Arginine, L-Ornithine, L-Glutamine, L-Lysine, and L-Cysteine, along with raisins. I don't know which substance was responsible, but all I can tell you is that it lifted me up from my 24 hour knapping, and I actually felt invigorated and even had feelings of exhilaration, like I had just won an athletic competition. I suspect the rush is mostly due to L-Arginine and L-Ornithine, but since I took all the other substances at the same time, I can't prove it. I can't guarantee it would work for everyone; perhaps I was simply amino acid deficient. To make sure I recover fully, I'm not exercising for a while (which is a killer for me).

Yochanan
http://sookagym.tripod.com
Old 12-17-2005, 08:42 AM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
John

I assume by not exercising you mean no intense exercise right? You do still plan on doing light workouts/stretching right?

Also I drink a lot of green tea these days, largely because it has a huge amount of anti-toxidants, and contains all kinds of other good things.

And if the rest of your diet is good I really don't know why you would be amino acid deficent.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:05 AM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
You guys and the caffine withdrawl thing :wink:...I must be missing something. I've gone on and off caffine several times in my life, and I've never experienced symptoms like some of the folks I've read about on the Message Board lately.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
John -

How much caffeine (coffee, I assume) were you getting?

I'm thinking (hoping?) my current intake of coffee (15oz., 4 days a week) isn't sufficient to get me hooked...
Old 12-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Chris: one sure way to find out . . .
Old 12-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #6
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Oh come on what is wrong with being just a little addicted...
Old 12-18-2005, 12:19 AM   #7
John Burket

Profile:
Chris,

I was taking 2 cups of coffee plus about 2 cups of tea daily. Evidentally, I am one of the people who was addicted to the stuff, as my withdrawal symptoms were bad - even worse than my wife's symptoms. As for green tea, it is no better as it also contains caffeine. I'm not advocating everyone get off caffeine. I was just performing an experiment to see if I was hooked. Now that I realize I was a caffeine junkie, I want to be free of it, like cigarettes (I quit them 23 years ago to get my wind back). Being older (I'm 56), I am also concerned about caffeine's ability to constrict blood vessels, which sounds like a recipe for getting a stroke.

Yochanan
Old 12-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
Andrew Brown

Profile:
How bout this, since you're concerned about being older: Coffee may prevent Alzheimer's

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1 2099922&dopt=Abstract

Old 12-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #9
John Burket

Profile:
I'm skeptical about coffee preventing Alzheimers. My late father and my uncle were/are avid coffee drinkers, and both had early heart attacks. When I talked to my Dad two weeks before he died, he told me he had no energy, and was so exhausted he couldn't do anything. Both he and his brother got bald on top as well. Since my wife and I quit coffee a month ago, we have more feeling in our scalps, and hair loss has been reduced due to an increase of circulation. Each day I am gradually becoming less sleepy, and I would estimate that I will be back to "normal" in about a month. I'm hoping I'll be even more energetic than "normal" in the future. I am not exercising now, because my adrenal gland is building up after decades of caffeine abuse.

Yochanan
Old 12-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
joseph elberti

Profile:

What about useing an adaptogen to help boost the adrenals? Rhodiola Rosea -make sure its the russian stuff

As far as the headaches, I have heard that tapering off is the best remedy, but I do know all about the addiction thingy- sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and go cold turkey.

FWIW- the coffee also invites certain types of stomach cancer and other problems as well.

I have recently switched over to acetyl-L-carnitine for energy purposes. I tells ya, my visual acuity has improved from takeing the stuff! No kidding!