CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Philip Bjorge

Profile:
Power Clean Technique - Starting Strength

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering what you guys could tell me on my power clean technique.

1) My hips are too high at the starting position. Why is this? How do I correct this? Do I simply need to drop my hips?
2) I'm jumping back. Is this probably a biproduct of my poor start position?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP6f95jOYyY (WFS/SFW)

Other things I need to work on?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Power Clean Technique - Starting Strength

If you ever become interested in the squat versions of the olympic lifts, this will be especially helpful. It still ought to have import with the power clean.

http://www.performancemenu.com/artic...ty&shortyID=49

work/family safe

Check out especially the pictures of the two olympic champions at the bottom.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

I am by no means any expert, and I can't even do a clean (lacking flexibility at the moment)... but I've been on these boards long enough to tell you at least 1 thing... you're muscling up the bar with your arms, and you shouldn't be doing that. the power should be coming from the legs and back, and the bar should "float" in the air for a split second while you throw your body underneath it. It shouldn't be forced by the arms.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
Andy Gann

Profile:

1. Stop looking in the mirror. Turn around and face the rack - you look fine.
2. Your elbows are bending before your hips are fully extended. (i know cuz I do it too)
3. If you notice - the arched door frame on the other side of you - it is exactly in line with what the bar path should be ... straight up. Because your elbows are bending early you end up reverse curling the weight to your shoulders and pulling the weight onto your chest instead of cleaning the weight straight up and pulling the body under.

Keep your elbows straight until the bar is a few inches past your knees (this part is slow, like a dead lift - start with your hips lower). Then pop the hips and shrug the bar straight up w/ your shoulders, some even say to brush your thighs with the bar .. then, finish the lift by pulling yourself under the bar - not pulling the bar onto yourself.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
Graeme Howland

Profile:

First off, who the hell is responsible for Sarah McLachlin being played at a gym with multiple oly platforms.

Can't offer much help on the cleans, try doing a bunch of sets of the Burgener warm-up (google/youtube it) to focus on pulling with the arms last. Also tall cleans might help (basically start from high hang, at the jumping position, jump shrug and pull under), this will eliminate the starting position as a possible problem.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Lower your butt, a lot. relax your arms during the pull. dont ever lean backwards to catch.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Michael Pilhofer

Profile:

Hello Philip,

There is a lot of good input here. I would concur with Andy in that one of the easiest errors to make with the PC is early arm bend. As COACH B says it, "when the arms bend, the POWER ENDS." I have included a pic which shows this very clearly. This is a MAJOR technical piece of the puzzle that needs your attention immediately.

The other issue I see isn't so much your set up, if you are thinking more of a RIP SS deadlift start for the PC. Your butt may be a little high, but where I am seeing issue is how your taking the weight off the ground. To my eyes you are what I call "Can Opening" from the bottom. This is where you simply lift your CHEST up and leaving your hips waaay behind the move, as you tear the weight off the ground. This is why you are jumping waaay back, and could be an issue for your low back as this weight gets heavier. Remember, this is still a deadlift up to the "JUMPING" point on your thighs to take is nice and smooth to that set up. Then JUMP with "STRAIGHT" arms...and fast....FAST elbows.

Drop off a bunch of weight and correct the early arm bend. Remind yourself of a proper deadlift from the ground and things should 'clean' up nicely.

All the best, and keep lifting!

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC Pic.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	4303  
www.CrossFitMSP.com

Last edited by Michael Pilhofer; 05-30-2009 at 11:06 AM..
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Philip Bjorge

Profile:

Thanks a lot all of you!
I will definitely attempt to address all this. I'll be going to a Barbell cert in the middle of the sumer so hopefully I can get any other things fixed there...

And I don't know about McLachlin... It really baffled me at the time too.