CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #81
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

5x5 is apparently "volume." He actually called it "Dynamic Effort."

This is one of the reasons people hate CrossFit. Dip****s speaking out of their ***.

I don't actually mind that he wants to do a set of 5 with a bounce. It wasn't a huge bounce. There might be something said about doing a heavy set with a bounce. We know they are going to be doing it when the DL are 225 or 315 and light enough to rep out.

Of course, most people need these 5x5 to be done as strength work at most CrossFit boxes. This trainer obviously is strong (and we could argue needs to be stronger but we don't know how strong he is [or care]) and may not need that pure strength work or he obviously doesn't feel he does.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #82
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
5x5 is apparently "volume." He actually called it "Dynamic Effort."

This is one of the reasons people hate CrossFit. Dip****s speaking out of their ***.

I don't actually mind that he wants to do a set of 5 with a bounce. It wasn't a huge bounce. There might be something said about doing a heavy set with a bounce. We know they are going to be doing it when the DL are 225 or 315 and light enough to rep out.

Of course, most people need these 5x5 to be done as strength work at most CrossFit boxes. This trainer obviously is strong (and we could argue needs to be stronger but we don't know how strong he is [or care]) and may not need that pure strength work or he obviously doesn't feel he does.
Yes, he said he was focused on speed, not weight. Also that he was training for comp speed reps. Me I will be regripping , resetting my 5s today. I need the overall strength work.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #83
Clint Harris

Profile:

Isn't bouncing considered a "no rep" in competition ?
So training for that doesn't make any sense.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #84
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Isn't bouncing considered a "no rep" in competition ?
Depends on the rules for that particular comp.

- Mark
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #85
Clint Harris

Profile:

Mark, yea, I guess so. I wonder how they draw the line for that ... I mean, we can literally force a barbell down so that it'd come up above the knees right.
For the Games (open, regional, open) it's a no rep though right ? (I hope).
Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #86
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Still probably depends on the rules/standards for the particular WOD in question.

- Mark
Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #87
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Mark, yea, I guess so. I wonder how they draw the line for that ... I mean, we can literally force a barbell down so that it'd come up above the knees right.
I don't believe it's a no rep, based on what I saw on Diane at the regionals. I think in 2010 (maybe 2011 I don't recall) they used iron plates on a deadlift workout to limit the bouncing.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #88
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
For a no rep standard, you cant force a bounce and elbow flex is a no rep. So you got bar down and bounce enough to be able to bend your elbows is the think most look at.

bouncing is asking for an injury if you ask me. I only tuch and go on light weight and even in a metcon if it is heavy enough I will regrip each rep and reset. It is slower but somuch a better workout to me.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #89
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I love living healthy therefore I love CrossFit, Strongman, Power Lifting, Track and anything that keeps me active and out of an early grave. I do not bash any form of exercise as I see doing something active is far better than doing nothing. The whole "We are Better" debate between the fitness realms is quite juvenile (Yes this wisdom is being projected from someone not far off being juvenile in age). I know the main reasons have been listed already. For me, I think the attitudes from a handful of the community tend to sour peoples experiences. In my opinion, CrossFit is what I need for my lifestyle and career path. Everyone is different and has different goals. Some goals require a more specialized approach to achieve. I do also agree with the many that talk about the huge Ego many CrossFitters have. I combat this by training out of my house and staying away from clumps of the community that act this way (It works). Another issue I see is people who are "veterans" in the lifting world being told what to do and how to do something properly by people who did a weekend course. Nobody likes to be told they are doing something wrong (especially if they aren't doing that thing wrong in the first place).

Example: It is kind of like the few times I have been to a Globo-Gym (usually when on vacation), and am told that I am Deadlifting incorrectly because I am using a double over-hand hook grip. For me, I dislike the alternate grip method and feel it causes imbalances and a lot of strain on the bicep. What angers me more, is lifting what I lift and then watching that same person that criticized my ways of doing things, struggle on what I warm up with. Everyone has an ego, some people just internalize it while others broadcast it. CrossFit brings out the "Alpha" mentality which causes feud between other "Alphas" (Hence the battle between BB.com V.S CrossFit, etc). I appreciate I gave a Globo-Gym example not a CrossFit example. This is because both communities have "That guy" (Don't be "that guy" folks).
Every fitness regime has its faults. Depending on what your goals are, you will see different faults in different programs. Mindset also plays a pivotal role in ones opinions on CrossFit.

New Example:If "John Smith's" first experience with CrossFit was being told by Tube Top Tammy or Knee Socks Malone (Have to keep it gender neutral, don't want to offend the thin-skinned) that he is not "Elite" because he is not into CVFM@HI. His first impression is going to be negative. From a psychological perspective, he is going to search for a confirmation bias that what he saw reflects the community and their ways of going about things. He then goes home and googles "CrossFit". He clicks on a few videos that pop up on "Youtube". What he sees are women dressed like hookers, dudes wearing cut off jean shorts,knee socks and pink bandana's violently throwing their body around at a high intensity, with poor form,and eventually dropping to the dirt like they were Falcon Punched in the privates causing them to convulse on the ground in the fetal position writhing in pain (Note: Not saying all have poor form or dress like idiots, just highlighting "the worst of the worst" of situations that I have seen.) He is going to view this as laughable and ridiculous and might add this to the negative memory he experienced prior to viewing whatever it was he just saw (My description sounds a bit like a spinoff of a Village People's act but whatever).

In order to avoid this negative schema, I think it is necessary to hold affiliates accountable and silence the instigators (not gonna happen- pipe dream, I know). Just my 0.02, half of this might have come out as verbal diarrhea as I am currently in a post-Thanksgiving turkey coma. I will end on the note that I was playing devils advocate for a portion. I am an avid CrossFitter, but am also way too laid back to care about the war over which fitness routine is better. I believe if everyone turned their focus towards the epidemic known as obesity (rather than which program is better), the world would not be in the situation it is right now.

-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 10-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #90
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

matt i do like you and your attitude.! well said.

we are best served keeping in mind that with exercise and fitness there is no one size fits all as we are all different physically and all have differing aims..
to quote one of my favourite people,Craig harper a motivational speaker in Australia
‘Fitness’ is not about how far a person can run or swim. Fitness refers to a body’s individual ability to perform certain physical tasks. For example, the ballerina might be fit to dance and stretch but not to get in the boxing ring. The bodybuilder might be fit for lifting weights but unfit for running a half marathon. The rugby player might be fit for hitting large men with large necks but unfit for doing the splits. The distance runner might be fit for running but not for doing chin-ups. And if you want to get quite specific, Usain Bolt might be fit for running a hundred metres with incredible speed and skill but not for running a marathon.

h

ps I love CF but i have friends who would rather amputate their leg without anaesthetic than try CF.. their choice not a matter of right or wrong.