CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:
Healthy/Recommended Weight?

Notice I didn't use the "I word".

What's a healthy weight someone that's 5'10" should strive for? Right now I'm fluctuating between 160-165. I'm just training for fitness/wellness, no games training or extra stuff like that, though I do take Krav classes twice a week.

My deadlift 1RM is 315, squat is ~270, bench press is ~185, and shoulder press is ~120.

Assuming I should put on 10-20 lb, which way should I go about doing it? Paleo or Zone? 70s Big/GOMAD?

I'll post a sample diet if needed. TIA
Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Healthy/Recommended Weight?

depends on what you're after.
To me - 5'10" @ 160-165# sounds skinny. But so what - skinny isn't exactly UNhealthy.
I'm 5'7" - at my last competition in September I was 165# and I had to cut weight to get there. Now I'm about 175#, and headed for competing at 181#.

how old are you? Gaining weight for older guys (I'm 40) is different than when you are a teenager or in your 20s because the younger guys are producing more testosterone, so they build muscle more quickly. If you are younger, GOMAD can be effective. if not, it is a slower building process, and expect to gain almost 50/50 fat:muscle.

Is 165# "healthy" for you? Probably - but who knows? It depends on what you are striving for. If you want to be an marathoner, you may want to drop 20#. If you want to be stronger, you'll probably want to add 10-25#.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

I'm 5'10" and around the same weight. Over the fall semester, I did GOMAD for 15 days, eating 5-6 medium sized meals a day and gained 15 pounds - weighed in at 187. Felt HUGE. I couldn't wear the same jeans that I could three weeks prior.

I'd say that you shouldn't strive to hit a weight class, rather go off of what you see in the mirror and want to change. If you want to gain the 10-20 pounds, GOMAD definitely works.

My .02
Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Tony Sutton

Profile:

If you are training for fitness and general well being and your happy where your at, why change anything?

I am 5'10 and I enjoy training at 185. I am sure I could cut weight, but I can move weight, as well as, run fast. I eat clean and maintain my weight, and I typically see PRs in my WODs and strength activities. So this weight works for me and I don't see a reason to change it. I suppose you have to see what works for you. Whatever decision you make, I would make sure to document your performance to help see how it impacts your training.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Cliff Miller

Profile:

well according to Health Canada guidelines for my height and weight 5' 11" 245 lbs i am considered obese. when the nurse a month ago at my health appointment pointed this out to me i asked her "do i look obese?"

my DL is 405, BS 385, Bench 235, Shoulder Press (prior to injury) 145

i am pushing 50 and have never felt better physcially, or mentaly. i have been doing crossfit since january 2010 eating clean 80% of the time for the past 4-5 months and only find myself getting on as a source of amusement. i am pretty much the exact same weight i was when i started xfitting 15 months ago.

my pants size has gone up one size since i can no longer get my legs into my old size and most of my shirts no longer fit properly either. i was not expecting to have to revamp my entire wardrobe up in a size prior to starting crossfit.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Mark, I'm 22

I think 180-185 would be a good weight for me. I just would like to be able to hit upper body WODs at RX weight, I really struggle with that.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Ian Strand

Profile:

Exercise as much as you'd like, eat what you want, eat more if you are not recovering.

I've done the force-feeding thing (never done the calorie restriction thing though), and while it's a great feeling to have your strength increasing at a much faster rate, it's a pain in the *** and inconvenient to eat as much as you need to, IMO. I got up to 199, strong as hell, but I was also slow.

Now, I exercise for performance, eat healthy, eat lots, but I don't stress if I forget a meal or my protein grams don't add up to XXX / day. My weight stays constant, I'm strong, I'm fast, and it's all good. Some people on this board go by the 70's big mantra 'An adult male should weigh over 200#', but I disagree.

Just get strong, get fit, eat what you want, and the scale will take care of itself.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Miller View Post
well according to Health Canada guidelines for my height and weight 5' 11" 245 lbs i am considered obese. when the nurse a month ago at my health appointment pointed this out to me i asked her "do i look obese?"

my DL is 405, BS 385, Bench 235, Shoulder Press (prior to injury) 145

i am pushing 50 and have never felt better physcially, or mentaly. i have been doing crossfit since january 2010 eating clean 80% of the time for the past 4-5 months and only find myself getting on as a source of amusement. i am pretty much the exact same weight i was when i started xfitting 15 months ago.

my pants size has gone up one size since i can no longer get my legs into my old size and most of my shirts no longer fit properly either. i was not expecting to have to revamp my entire wardrobe up in a size prior to starting crossfit.
I think I like you a lot.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffray Marcantel View Post
Notice I didn't use the "I word".

What's a healthy weight someone that's 5'10" should strive for? Right now I'm fluctuating between 160-165. I'm just training for fitness/wellness, no games training or extra stuff like that, though I do take Krav classes twice a week.

My deadlift 1RM is 315, squat is ~270, bench press is ~185, and shoulder press is ~120.

Assuming I should put on 10-20 lb, which way should I go about doing it? Paleo or Zone? 70s Big/GOMAD?

I'll post a sample diet if needed. TIA
I think "healthy" and "recommended" are just really bad terms to use. Healthy to whom? Recommended by whom?

I think a 2x BW squat is healthy and recommended. I think 5'10 and 165 lbs is really freaking skinny. But, someone else is going to give you a different answer.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I think "healthy" and "recommended" are just really bad terms to use. Healthy to whom? Recommended by whom?

I think a 2x BW squat is healthy and recommended. I think 5'10 and 165 lbs is really freaking skinny. But, someone else is going to give you a different answer.
The last sentence is the key. It really depends on what YOU want.

For a lot of folks, 5'10 and 165 is really freaking skinny. For me, 5'7" and 135 is big enough that I did 3x5 squats at 255 lbs today, good form, full ROM.

I love being 135 lbs... I feel healthy, have energy, and feel good about myself at this weight. Plenty of wrestlers, boxers, oly lifters, ect are my size and JACKED. On the other hand, plenty of marathoners and triatheletes are my size and look like holocaust survivors.