CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Sorry, but I really don't think Westside should get the credit if a 13 year old grows six inches in a year.

I understand that you think it's a great program, but secondhand testimonials from out on the Internet somewhere just aren't all that convincing.

Katherine
Katherine,

You are WAAAYYYY too intelligent to make such a comment. The point, which you understand fully well, is this 13 year old has progressed tremendously in strength in a short period of time. In fact, said 13 year old is lifting as much as most adult male CrossFitters.

That was the point of the person making the comment. My point in posting it is that there is just one example of a very young lifter following the exact Westside template and making huge progress in strength.
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Why does he weigh 190? Is he healthy?
Probably because he wants to be strong and doesn't care how fast he can do 95lb thrusters or doubleunders.
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
Thomas Green
Member Thomas Green is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 1,156
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Probably because he wants to be strong and doesn't care how fast he can do 95lb thrusters or doubleunders.
I wonder if the association with Westside is HQs indirect admission that they were wrong about CF producing the best CFitters. The idea that doing WODs will develop the strength you need to compete with the best. Orlando sure as hell didn't get big and strong by doing 95lb thrusters. Rip used to say that all the time. Now Louie's just emphasizing it even more.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 11-21-2010 at 07:23 PM.
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
James White
Member James White is offline
 
James White's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jacksonville  FL
Posts: 560
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
I wonder if the association with Westside is HQs indirect admission that they were wrong about CF producing the best CFitters. The idea that doing WODs will develop the strength you need to compete with the best. Orlando sure as hell didn't get big and strong by doing 95lb thrusters. Rip used to say that all the time. Now Louie's just emphasizing it even more.
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General4 (wfs)

This is still in the FAQs, though...
__________________
"Courage is not the lack of fear. It is acting in spite of it." ~ Mark Twain
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Katherine,

You are WAAAYYYY too intelligent to make such a comment. The point, which you understand fully well, is this 13 year old has progressed tremendously in strength in a short period of time. In fact, said 13 year old is lifting as much as most adult male CrossFitters.

That was the point of the person making the comment. My point in posting it is that there is just one example of a very young lifter following the exact Westside template and making huge progress in strength.
Actually, my point was that I find *your* experiences with Westside much more convincing than those of random people out in internet land.

Katherine
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Actually, my point was that I find *your* experiences with Westside much more convincing than those of random people out in internet land.

Katherine
Katherine,

Just an FYI, that guy is someone I have met at Westside. He and his son are real.
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
Jakub Kruhlik
Member Jakub Kruhlik is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago  IL
Posts: 507
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
What about a D1 collegiate soccer player like myself who's looking to get faster? I am currently in off-season and have about 10-12 weeks before we start spring training.

P.S. I just read your CFJ article.
Chris-
Can you answer my question?

Jakub
__________________
"If you do not believe you can, they you have no chance at all." -Arsene Wenger-
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
Thomas Green
Member Thomas Green is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 1,156
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White View Post
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General4 (wfs)

This is still in the FAQs, though...
I know, that's such nonsense, I can't even read that statement anymore.
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
Chris-
Can you answer my question?

Jakub
Jakub, if you want to get faster from a strength training perspective then you should absolutely focus on 1RM training a la the Westside template. For you I would do a pure Westside approach with some conditioning work as GPP.
 
Old 11-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #20
Jakub Kruhlik
Member Jakub Kruhlik is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago  IL
Posts: 507
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Jakub, if you want to get faster from a strength training perspective then you should absolutely focus on 1RM training a la the Westside template. For you I would do a pure Westside approach with some conditioning work as GPP.
So basically just follow the template in the Conjugate Method article? And how long should wods be? less than 20/15/10min?
__________________
"If you do not believe you can, they you have no chance at all." -Arsene Wenger-
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Programming MEBB Advanced Options Aaron Herzog Fitness 2 02-01-2010 10:31 AM
New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program. Zach Gates Starting 66 03-25-2009 12:54 PM
Help me argue this point Kevin Burns Fitness 10 09-18-2008 11:17 AM
advanced sports nutrition Nicholas Brosko Nutrition 6 09-05-2008 03:43 AM
Advanced bodyweight exercises Zach Nikka Exercises 6 08-17-2005 06:13 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.