CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Ryan Mooney

Profile:
Pre Workout Nutrition

Generic Question,

but what do you recommend for pre workout nutrition?

I've used Xpand for a while, but for obvious reasons I'd like to get off of that junk. For a while, I didn't do anything but have my regular diet, with the appropriate glutamine and amino acids, but I missed having a transistion from not working out to working out.

Any recommendations?

Ryan Mooney
StuntFit
Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Daniel Quinn

Profile:
Re: Pre Workout Nutrition

According to this WFS: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...-more-fat.aspx article, an empty stomach, except for 20 grams of high quality whey protein before & after does the trick. It boosts metabolism for 24 hrs after the workout.

It worked for me pretty well this summer.

You should also avoid all refined sugars for at least 2 hrs after the workout, as they help to shut down the body's PWO production of human growth hormone (WFS - http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...-workouts.aspx)

Last edited by Daniel Quinn : 08-23-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Brian McManus

Profile:

I've been on the cf "program" for 7 weeks or so and I am loving the transition that my body is making in response to the workouts and my diet. I'm 6' and I started off at 236 - 7 weeks later I am down to 220 and looking to cut a bit more (not sure of my bf% - I will measure that later today).
I workout in the am (6:30) and when I wake up in the morning (5:15) I would eat a banana and then head off to the gym. I would eat breakfast (2 medium/large eggs and 2 medium/large egg whites) with a slice of cheese around 8:30. This morning I decided to switch it up a bit and ate the eggs and cheese prior to heading into the gym. Is there any advantage to eating in this fashion? Should I be throwing something else down my throat prior to or just after my workouts?
I have been following the zone for the most part, and not taking in any grains. I've been hitting around 2000 to 2100 calories a day with a macro breakdown of 40% P, 40% F, and 20% C.
I used to take whey protein, but it is difficult to get over here in China (at least reputable stuff - I used to dig Integrated Supplements' Whey, but importing it has become a problem due to Chinese Customs).
Any suggestions on my pre and directly post workout meals would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Brent Eno

Profile:

Ryan- I eat a meal high in protein and fat 2 hours before and drink a glass of coconut water 20 minutes prior. Works very well for me.

Brian- same advice. I would try to eat as soon as you wake up, and base how much you eat on how much time you have until you workout. If you have about an hour or less, I would just eat two hard-boiled eggs, a handful of almonds, and a banana. As far as post-workout goes, you just have to experiment. Some people like a sugary, high protein shake. Personally, I just put on belly fat when I do that, so I just eat a full meal 45 min to an hour after. Also, eat whole eggs, not just egg whites.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Tyler Schaeffer

Profile:

For what its worth, and this might be specific to my body...but coming from a bodybuilding/football background I religiously drink a protein shake (banana, cup of frozen fruit, apple juice, and powdered egg whites) an hour before I train and immediately after, that is except for yesterday. Yesterday, an hour and a half before my WOD I put down a lb of ground beef, onions, peppers, and some mushrooms.

Usually at my box I find myself finishing middle of the pack (been cfing 2 months), but yesterday while doing Helen I found myself leading the pack. Dont know if that is to say whole food before a workout is better in general, or just for me. Or if I was just feeling it that day, or maybe i'm just built for Helen (first time doing it)

Point is, I feel its important to have something in you for energy, think I will be trying whole foods before WOD for a bit and see how it works.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Brian McManus

Profile:

Brent-
Thanks for the advice. I started eating two hard boiled eggs and a banana 1 hour prior to my workout. Couple that with 4 scrambled eggs and a bit of cheese and 500ml of organic whole milk about 45 post workout and I am feeling great throughout the day. Raised my caloric intake to roughly 2200-2500 a day (2 additional eggs + 2 additional egg yolks + 1 additional chicken breast) and the mid-afternoon lethargic feeling is gone. I continue to lose body fat as well - down to 214 today! Measured body fat last weekend at 20% - I'm sure that will continue to decrease as well.
Thanks for the insight!

Last edited by Brian McManus : 08-29-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: subject verb agreement issue.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
John Stone

Profile:

I consume a 25g whey protein shake pre- and post-workout, and 20g creatine post-workout. Then I shower / clean up, and grill some meat and veggies (usually 1-2 hours later).
Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Did the Whole9 workshop recently and they recommend small amount of protein and fat pre-workout which essentially allows your body access to the energy it will need. Afterwards, protein and carbs. (<-- can cut carbs post-wod depending on your goals, see robb wolf for more on that, can also fast, see mark sisson)

I'd always done carbs before, so this was new to me. Switched to nuts+scoop of protein powder in water pre-WOD (half hour before or up to 90 minutes before) and it's been working great.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I think you guys are splitting hairs here, it is really whatever works for you. Your wod is much more dependant on what you did for the 24, 48, or 72 hours before the wod, not 2 hours...IMO.

See what works for you.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I think you guys are splitting hairs here, it is really whatever works for you. Your wod is much more dependant on what you did for the 24, 48, or 72 hours before the wod, not 2 hours...IMO.

See what works for you.
Good call Brian.