CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:
you're right: 2 metcon/day = bad

I learned something important yesterday (well, maybe more this morning). Even if one is at the bottom of the fitness curve and has things scaled way down, working your muscles to near failure once per day is enough. There's no need to do it twice.

While I'm not a big ball of lactic acid, I'm a bit tired and sluggish, moreso than usual for this hour of the morning. I was also wiped out last night and went to bed a little early. All I did were two visits to the gym for scaled, quick and (for me) intense sit-ups, pull-ups and push-ups. (Link is to my workout log here to see what I actually did, by definition, WFS. See posts 7 - 9 for yesterday's exercise.)

Other than maybe doing some air squats throughout the day, I'm taking today off as a recovery day. The good news is that I'm dramatically increasing my ability to use less assistance for dead hang pull-ups.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: you're right: 2 metcon/day = bad

More isn't always better--if you're a beginning CFer who is admittedly in bad shape, why are you doing two workouts a day? Do one, do it fairly hard, then focus on eating good and hydrating the rest of the day.

Too much new stress to your body, especially in the form of metcons, is a good way to have overtraining injuries or boost your cortisol levels, both of which will be counterproductive to your goals of losing weight and getting in better shape.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Mark, you're a beginner and I know that at 300lbs you're itching to get things done... but more is not better in this case. If you have the time, and are really bent on doing more to help yourself, go on an easy walk every day after your workout. 1 or 2 miles. It will burn some calories, with minimal impact to your recovery from your actual workout, and could actually help reduce your soreness.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
If you have the time, and are really bent on doing more to help yourself, go on an easy walk every day after your workout. 1 or 2 miles. It will burn some calories, with minimal impact to your recovery from your actual workout, and could actually help reduce your soreness.
Don't underestimate the value of Bo's advice here. Usually, he's WAAAAY off (), but this time he's right.

I take a leisurely 3 mile walk once or twice per week. It has helped me to shed fat, work out the little kinks in the body that come with CF, and it even gives me a little quiet time to myself to help manage stress.

- Mark
Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

I feel like an idiot now. I've been staying off the track to not run until my knees feel better / I lose weight, but I can still go to the track for a brisk walk. Thanks!

And I did the second one because I was excited to make more progress. I learned my lesson and now at most I'll add some push-ups from a table or air squats through out the day after a morning workout. Maybe an extra set of leisurely paced sit-ups in the afternoon / evening also.

Am I doing myself a disservice if my main workout is just a timed multiple sets of sit-ups, pull-ups and push-ups for the next 2 - 3 weeks before I can join an affiliate? I don't know many of the other movements and I'm thinking that given the short time-frame it might be best to wait and learn form correctly with a coach to correct me.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
I feel like an idiot now. I've been staying off the track to not run until my knees feel better / I lose weight, but I can still go to the track for a brisk walk. Thanks!

And I did the second one because I was excited to make more progress. I learned my lesson and now at most I'll add some push-ups from a table or air squats through out the day after a morning workout. Maybe an extra set of leisurely paced sit-ups in the afternoon / evening also.

Am I doing myself a disservice if my main workout is just a timed multiple sets of sit-ups, pull-ups and push-ups for the next 2 - 3 weeks before I can join an affiliate? I don't know many of the other movements and I'm thinking that given the short time-frame it might be best to wait and learn form correctly with a coach to correct me.
Absolutely not. those movements are exactly what you need right now. That is a great starting point, and you should stick with the basics until you join an affiliate. I would recommend you try this(maybe just 4 rounds of each): http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...erTabataSE.mov WFS

If you are any good at swimming, a nice easy pool session a few hours after a workout is not a bad idea in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

1. Lactic acid does not cause fatigue wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...t-lactic-acid/

2. More is not better.

Most of the people doing 2x a days have at least 10-15+ of proper strength and conditioning behind them. Joe blow who started CF 3 years ago isn't going to have the capacity to do this
Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post

2. More is not better.

Most of the people doing 2x a days have at least 10-15+ of proper strength and conditioning behind them. Joe blow who started CF 3 years ago isn't going to have the capacity to do this
Thanks for the link - learned something new.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post

2. More is not better.

3. Better is better.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

No workout today, not even a single air squat. We did go for a 1 mile brisk walk, during which, to demonstrate toe-striking to my wife, I slowly ran about 75 m. It felt good! Not just something I was making myself do to accomplish a goal, but it was good to be running! I made myself stop after 75 m though as I want to be sure I'm all healed up before doing something stupid like re-injuring myself worse. It was a bit hard to rein myself back in though. Maybe these metcons, even my feebly scaled ones, are really onto something here. (Yes, I've been skeptical about 10 - 30 minute lifting workouts helping with running.)

I feel like I can easily go for at least 400 m now, which would have been about my limit before.