CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #31
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew D White View Post
My own personal experience with prescribed steroids resulted in atrial fibrillation and me on an ER gurney being cardioverted to get my heart back in rhythm. This was after I spent 5+ hours with my pulse at 185+ and two hours being pumped full of pulse reducing chemicals to the point I could taste them in the back of my mouth.
It took me 6 months to get back to normal after they zapped me with the milijoules that put me back in sinus rhythm. It was another 6 months after that before I could get back to strength training beyond a Jillian Michaels workout.
None for me, thanks. (though I admit my experience was unusual.)

I think it's the choice of individuals, but they shouldn't hide behind their job as an excuse to use them.

None of the guys in the 82nd Airborne who dug in and saved the world from Nazi Germany could have won a strongman competition or the Crossfit games.
Let's be clear, what kind of steroid(s) was prescribed to you (I am guessing they were cortico)? What was it for?

In fact, anabolic steroids like testosterone can actually benefit those with cardiovascular disease in some cases.

Last edited by Chris Mason : 07-27-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #32
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"I'm just making the point that it ain't necessarily the size of the dog in the fight.
The psychological effect of being physically larger is a benefit of strength training, if for no other reason than the boost of confidence in the face of danger/threat."

Steroids do not make necessarily make you larger. They can if that is hot you are training, but they dramatically increase healing and recovery rates. There are lifters in the smaller classes that use and they don't get much bigger but they are strong as hell.

And Prednisone is not an anbolic, it is a catabolic, the opposite of what a PED is.
It also depends on the specific anabolic (with reference to size).
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #33
Chris Mason

Profile:

Oh, and I see my question about the type of steroid was already answered and the answer is what I suspected. Adverse reactions to cortico-steroids are VERY different than of those from anabolic steroids. Your point about people having a sensitivity was really misplaced because what you described is not an adverse reaction that I have ever heard of relative to anabolic use.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #34
Andrew D White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
So why exactly are they illegal again? Is this a deal like marijuana where it's illegal but really shouldn't be?
Yeah, mostly fearmongering.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #35
Andrew D White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"On the flip side of that, if he had done the proper checkups on his organs and regulated his intake of dbol (and other steroids) he'd probably still be with us."

WHich would have been facilitated by anabolic steroids being legal. Which they were.
Yes. He was sourcing his through a doctor the whole time but wasn't doing the necessary labwork, nor was the doc pressing the issue.
In latter years he simply got scrips written, as most people can do in order to circumvent the law.

I'm a firm believer in being able to pick your poison or pick no poison at all. Not trying to lay blame on anyone but him for his condition and resulting painful death.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #36
Andrew D White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Let's be clear, what kind of steroid(s) was prescribed to you (I am guessing they were cortico)? What was it for?

In fact, anabolic steroids like testosterone can actually benefit those with cardiovascular disease in some cases.
I was clear on the tablet and dosage. It was for a torn connective tissue in my hip.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #37
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I've often thought about experimenting, but I just don't know enough about the application and the different types to really pull the trigger. I'd probably end up doing more harm than good.
This.

Searching the internet isn't very much help either cause the results are so different in many of the things you find.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #38
Andrew D White

Profile:

I'm a freelance writer, so the research comes easy to me.
Here's an example of how I research stuff.
You can find this(wfs) when you search for "stanford university white paper anabolic steroids" on Yahoo! (Google has caused everyone in the world to write SEO- search engine optimization- content that clogs searches for obscure academic material).

Once you find a nice medical journal or white paper on the subject, look at the source page/bibliography and find entry 5, which looks promising.
"Sönksen PH. Insulin, growth hormone and sport. J Endocrinol
2001;170:13-25."

Plug that into Yahoo! or find the periodical at your local library or hospital/endocrinologist's waiting room.
Go here:http://edrv.endojournals.org/cgi/reprint/28/6/603(wfs) and read.

It's dry academic reading, but it's the only route to understanding research.
Using this method, you can find data on any facet of steroids, HGH, anabolics, or what have you, that's been tested and written about in the last few decades.
You can even order copies of master's and doctoral theses as archived on the subject and examine the same data that product makers and pharmaceutical companies use to hype their products.

You will need a working knowledge of biology and maybe some knowledge of systemic anatomy to make heads or tails of it.
If you don't know anything about either of them, then start by taking a bio or Anatomy/Physiology course at your local community college or online.

That's how I research stuff, anyway.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #39
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I don't think you need to go through all that to get the information needed. There are several websites with information that don't require a degree in biology.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #40
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew D White View Post
I'm a freelance writer, so the research comes easy to me.
Here's an example of how I research stuff.
You can find this(wfs) when you search for "stanford university white paper anabolic steroids" on Yahoo! (Google has caused everyone in the world to write SEO- search engine optimization- content that clogs searches for obscure academic material).
Use Google Scholar instead. http://scholar.google.com/ (It's Google. WFS or not, depending on your search.)

To the OP, having access to a good university library helps, as they'll have access to the top journals. Otherwise the download fees can add up.

Katherine