CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #31
Connor Thane
Member Connor Thane is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melrose  Scotland
Posts: 103
Re: Resting between rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wilbarger View Post
In a sense it is faulty logic because now how do we know what your level of exertion is. You might get 5 rounds next time but is it because your more physically fit or because your working at a lesser level of intensity?
No. That's not how it works.

Take this AMRAP for an example.

12 Minute AMRAP

10 Clapping Pushups
10 1.5pood kettlebell thrusters (5 each arm)
5 Knee to elbows


After the first two rounds, i HAD to take a rest or I would have sent my muscles into such an anerobic state, I probably would have barely been able to crank out the third.

What I did INSTEAD was take a small rest, and bang out the other two rounds.

Now, by the end of it, I was done. toast. Barely able to stand up. I could not have done 5 rounds no matter HOW i paced myself.

But if I get 5 rounds next time, then I would say that I have a measurable improvement, wouldn't you say?
__________________
6'1" 201lb 13%BF
Deadlift: 320lbs Squat: 280lbs Bench: 235lbs Press: 165lbs
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #32
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: Resting between rounds

Conner,

As you get better, pacing becomes to play a greater role. If you don't plan on competing and are using CF for conditioning, then pacing is less of an issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #33
Jason Wilbarger
Member Jason Wilbarger is offline
 
Jason Wilbarger's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oregon  OH
Posts: 62
Re: Resting between rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Thane View Post
No. That's not how it works.

After the first two rounds, i HAD to take a rest or I would have sent my muscles into such an anerobic state, I probably would have barely been able to crank out the third.

What I did INSTEAD was take a small rest, and bang out the other two rounds.

Now, by the end of it, I was done. toast. Barely able to stand up. I could not have done 5 rounds no matter HOW i paced myself.

But if I get 5 rounds next time, then I would say that I have a measurable improvement, wouldn't you say?
So you basically did exactly what I've been saying...you went as hard as you could until you could no longer sustain it. Then you took a break, I'm assuming a very short one, and finished the workout. Good on ya!

If you were taking a 30 second break after each round because you wanted to finish 4 rounds then youre cheating yourself. That to me is pacing your workout. Now, if you come out in the same manner then next time you do that WOD and are able to finish 5 rounds regardless of the rest then yes...youve improved.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #34
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: Resting between rounds

"If you were taking a 30 second break after each round because you wanted to finish 4 rounds then youre cheating yourself. That to me is pacing your workout. Now, if you come out in the same manner then next time you do that WOD and are able to finish 5 rounds regardless of the rest then yes...youve improved."

BOth methods provide a training stimulus. BOth should be used based on what your goals are and where you are. Also, there is a dfference between training and competion. You need to know which one you are doing and plan accordingly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #35
Jason Wilbarger
Member Jason Wilbarger is offline
 
Jason Wilbarger's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oregon  OH
Posts: 62
Re: Resting between rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"If you were taking a 30 second break after each round because you wanted to finish 4 rounds then youre cheating yourself. That to me is pacing your workout. Now, if you come out in the same manner then next time you do that WOD and are able to finish 5 rounds regardless of the rest then yes...youve improved."

BOth methods provide a training stimulus. BOth should be used based on what your goals are and where you are. Also, there is a dfference between training and competion. You need to know which one you are doing and plan accordingly.


I do agree that both would be used when appropriate based upon your goals and fitness level. What we continue to lose sight of is this...ITS A 12 MINUTE AMRAP WOD! IT ISNT MURPH, IT ISNT RUNNING, IT ISNT SOME OTHER THING...In this instance pre planned breaks would not benefit the OP. Going straight at it and resting when NEEDED is what he would want to do...just as he did.

Finally, yes there is a difference between GPP training and preparing for competition but based on the OP's question he is not a firebreather thats getting a jump on the 2011 games he's a joe, just like myself and countless others, that wants to get the most out of his training and to do that he needs to move outside of his comfort level and push himself....just as he did.

Great now youve got me typing run on sentences...LOL.

I dont know why we're even still talking about this really. You answered the question with the second post of the thread and I agreed with you. I dont agree, however, that pacing and taking a break are the same thing. But I guess thats an entirely different post...LOL.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #36
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: Resting between rounds

"Great now youve got me typing run on sentences"

Ah ha, I win.

" I dont agree, however, that pacing and taking a break are the same thing"

THey are different things.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #37
Mike McGee
Member Mike McGee is offline
 
Mike McGee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springfield  VA
Posts: 165
Re: Resting between rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
rest when you NEED to, not when you WANT to
Renee, thats the key, because I want to rest, although I might not need to, all the time...

Another thing to try when resting, such as with Fran, is to rest with the bar on your shoulders. Although you are resting, you'll save time and energy by not having to constantly pick the bar up off the ground. Same applies for Wall Balls, etc...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #38
hugh driscoll
Member hugh driscoll is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: santa fe  nm
Posts: 50
Re: Resting between rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
" I dont agree, however, that pacing and taking a break are the same thing"

THey are different things.
thank you.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resting that 1 in 3 times.. Neil Duncan Fitness 3 06-26-2008 11:49 PM
Not resting as required? Stephen Thomas Fitness 14 05-11-2008 01:41 AM
Resting Cycles? Benjamin W Herbert Fitness 1 09-09-2007 10:44 PM
Resting pulse of 48 larry guyett Testimonials 1 09-29-2006 12:44 PM
Resting between?? Utku Kaynar Exercises 5 01-27-2006 01:22 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.