CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
Jordan Wallace

Profile:
My Diet and potential problems

Hi guys, im not sure what is going on with my nutrition and body comp at the moment. I have recently lost most of my appetite, but i am obviously still eating as i know i need to to continue my training.

Anyway, my diet is as follows;

7-8am Pre WoD - 28g Beef Jerky, 200g Brocolli
9-10am Breakfast - 4-500g Brocolli, Chicken Breast, Apple
Snacks - Maybe few Almonds or a peice of fruit.
2-3pm Lunch - Salad (lettuce and spinach) with Tuna or Chicken, Apple
8-9pm Dinner - Veg (lots of it) Meat or Fish, with fruit for dessert.

Through the day i train 3-4x (My Log)
I have the odd few snacks, drink around 4 litres of water and a couple of cups of coffee. I recently FitDay'd all my Kcal and found that it is only around 2000Kcal, maybe less depending on whether i have nuts and jerky as snacks.

My problem is that i think i am holding onto fat around my mid section, maybe this could be Cortisol levels due to my college exams and also opening my own box, but it has been an issue for several months.

Any input would be great.

Jordan.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Jordan Wallace

Profile:
Re: My Diet and potential problems

37 views and nothing?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

2000 calories isn't nearly enough to support multiple workouts per day. Throw in some more good fats throughout the day--olive oil, avocados, coconut oil, etc--and get some high-GI carbs like yams into your post-workout meals to help recovery prior to your next workout. Are you sleeping enough and taking your fish oil?

And cut back on your workload--just looking at what your log has listed for Jan 24 puts me in pain. It's basically a 5-a-day plus some extra strength work afterwards.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Jordan Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
2000 calories isn't nearly enough to support multiple workouts per day. Throw in some more good fats throughout the day--olive oil, avocados, coconut oil, etc--and get some high-GI carbs like yams into your post-workout meals to help recovery prior to your next workout. Are you sleeping enough and taking your fish oil?

And cut back on your workload--just looking at what your log has listed for Jan 24 puts me in pain. It's basically a 5-a-day plus some extra strength work afterwards.
Hey man, thanks for the input, well i take nothing at all, i just eat. My sleep is usually around 7-9 hours a night, but it isn't good sleep, im up maybe 3-4x a night. I would eat more but i have been obese in the past and don't want to return to being big, just need to develop confidence that i wont.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Ian Strand

Profile:

You eat like a bird and work out 3-4x / day. Perhaps you haven't figured out that in regards to fitness, less is sometimes more.

Your volume would also explain high cortisol levels (if that is the case).
Old 04-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Wallace View Post
Anyway, my diet is as follows;

7-8am Pre WoD - 28g Beef Jerky, 200g Brocolli
9-10am Breakfast - 4-500g Brocolli, Chicken Breast, Apple
Snacks - Maybe few Almonds or a peice of fruit.
2-3pm Lunch - Salad (lettuce and spinach) with Tuna or Chicken, Apple
8-9pm Dinner - Veg (lots of it) Meat or Fish, with fruit for dessert.

Through the day i train 3-4x

3-4 workouts a day and that's ALL you're eating? I'd say your lose of appetite is probably an early sign of overtraining. There's a good chance the belly fat is due to cortisol, which could also be a symptom of overtraining. Take a week off, and up your intake by at least a thousand calories.

Katherine
Old 04-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Matt Payne

Profile:

Hey I am by no means an expert but diet aside..and without knowing much about you, that is an insane amount of work load for ANYONE. I think that is your sleep issue right there. How do you maintain max intensity in every workout with that much volume? And for sure you are not eating enough...I don't even know how you make it through those workouts. I am willing to bet if you cut your volume of workouts by 50% and increase your food by that much you would see better times and sleep well.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

What are you goals? Do you just enjoy sweating? Landscaping pays $20 an hours and you probably gain as much muscle and sort out any vit D deficiencies

Otherwise cut back on volume especially until after your exams. The body is one unit and stress is cumulative.

Your diet is ridiculously monotonous, add some variety.

For a lot of men the mid section is the first place they accumulate fat and the last place to loose it. I don't really buy into the whole cortisol makes my midsection fat.

You often have to get very lean to loose the fat there. At low body weights you may end up skeletal before you have the six pack you want.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Jordan Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

3-4 workouts a day and that's ALL you're eating? I'd say your lose of appetite is probably an early sign of overtraining. There's a good chance the belly fat is due to cortisol, which could also be a symptom of overtraining. Take a week off, and up your intake by at least a thousand calories.

Katherine
I know i need to up my calories and i will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Hey I am by no means an expert but diet aside..and without knowing much about you, that is an insane amount of work load for ANYONE. I think that is your sleep issue right there. How do you maintain max intensity in every workout with that much volume? And for sure you are not eating enough...I don't even know how you make it through those workouts. I am willing to bet if you cut your volume of workouts by 50% and increase your food by that much you would see better times and sleep well.
I am worried that if i decrease my work that my times will suffer due to lack of practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Lavin View Post
What are you goals? Do you just enjoy sweating? Landscaping pays $20 an hours and you probably gain as much muscle and sort out any vit D deficiencies

Otherwise cut back on volume especially until after your exams. The body is one unit and stress is cumulative.

Your diet is ridiculously monotonous, add some variety.

For a lot of men the mid section is the first place they accumulate fat and the last place to loose it. I don't really buy into the whole cortisol makes my midsection fat.

You often have to get very lean to loose the fat there. At low body weights you may end up skeletal before you have the six pack you want.
I train that much because i enjoy it, and i like to break PB's. I have very low BF, i have been tested by 2 professionals and they have both came out with the same figure of 8%, i just seem to store there.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
Matt Payne

Profile:

Dude, don't worry about your times suffering. IF you are overtrained and my guess is that you are based off your food intake, then your times probably will get BETTER! That's what you are after right? What movements do you feel would suffer due to lack of practicing the movement? I honestly don't think you need to be concerned about losing the movement due to lack of practice. for the most part once you have it...you refine it but you have it. That's my 2 cents anyway. Best of luck in training.