CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
James Mullis

Profile:
Olympic Lifts

I've been crossfitting for about two months now and have fallen in love with olympic lifts. I remember seeing somewhere something about inserting an olympic lift into your warmup. Can someone point me in the right direction, or help me out. I think I'd like to do an OLY each day prior to the WOD but want more info. Any help?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Olympic Lifts

The Burgener Warm Up:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2007/01/...mike-burge.tpl
Please indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)
Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Alex Bond

Profile:

If you really want to do Oly lifts, the Burg W/U won't be enough. Maybe you should consider doing the WODs from Catalyst Athletics (wfs) instead? It is olympic lifting programming with enough metcons mixed in that you won't lose too much metcon capacity. There will probably be a learning curve as you get used to the new exercises, but it sounds like more of what you are looking for.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Also, I would stay away from oly based metcons. You will most likely end up practicing bad form.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
James Mullis

Profile:

I really like the WODs and am seeing great results. I just want to add in more OLY to them. Can I just add in an OLY a day into my warmup?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mullis View Post
I really like the WODs and am seeing great results. I just want to add in more OLY to them. Can I just add in an OLY a day into my warmup?
You can do whatever you like. I personally use my warm-up to work exercises that I'm weak on (right now I'm working ring dips and strict pull-ups in an effort to prep for the muscle-up).
You want to work just enough to get the blood moving and build some familiarity, but not so hard that you get fatigued. If you want to do Oly work, do it, but keep it at the right intensity. If you find yourself trying to work your 1RM as a warm-up, you're doing the wrong thing.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Joshua Morgan

Profile:

Quote:
Coach Rutherford at http://coachrut.blogspot.com (w/f safe) has quite a few Olympic lift as the strength portion prior to the WOD. Or you could follow a Joe DeFranco style set up and work up to a heavy triple on an Oly lift and then follow it up with a WOD.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
James Mullis

Profile:

The Defranco style sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm concerned with overtraining but want to get in the OLY and WOD's. I'll do some more research but any info on this style would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 AM   #9
Joshua Morgan

Profile:

Quote:
The Defranco style sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm concerned with overtraining but want to get in the OLY and WOD's. I'll do some more research but any info on this style would be appreciated. Thanks
http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf (w/f/s) Keep in mind that you'll be tailoring yours slightly different. He has an upper body repetition day. You can just pick an Oly lift at the beginning and hit it up to a heavy triple or 3RM over 5-8 sets. I used to at times work up to a triple in the snatch and then pick up on the clean where I left off on the snatch and work up in singles.

Another option if you really like the Olympic lifts and want to incorporate them quite a bit would be the Queensland way. http://www.qwa.org/programs/content.asp (w/f/s) The volume on their Olympic lift set up isn't too great. You could pick the first 2-3 movements off their schedule and use the intensity/rep/set pattern they use at the beginning of the workout. And then hit the WOD of the day or a metcon.