CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Brian Blackburn

Profile:
Fish Oil

From my previous questions, I've been informed that I'm not taking enough fish oil. I'm 5-5, 143lbs, and I'm on a 16 block/day on the Zone plan...how much fish oil should I be ingesting on a daily basis?

Also, what is the most cost effective way of getting it?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Blackburn View Post
From my previous questions, I've been informed that I'm not taking enough fish oil. I'm 5-5, 143lbs, and I'm on a 16 block/day on the Zone plan...how much fish oil should I be ingesting on a daily basis?

Also, what is the most cost effective way of getting it?
Okay this tells us that you have done a lick of homework on the subject have you??
Cause if you bothered... you would have found this thread
wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50967
Old 10-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Brian Blackburn

Profile:

Actually, I'd already seen that post, and yes, the spreadsheet compares prices, but it doesn't give a recommendation about how much fish oil one should take per body weight/size/etc.

I've also read Rob Wolff's website that says the Costco Kirkland brand is by far the best fish oil for the money...he and/or his staff have check the quality controls, etc to make sure it's good stuff.

Still, I don't know how to calculate how much I should take.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:

The NIH indicates that something in the neighborhood of 500-700 mg/day of EPA + DHA is a good amount. The AHA recommends fatty fish 2x/week for good cardiovascular health. Note that the quantity of EPA/DHA per capsule varies wildly, from only a couple hundred mg of EPA + DHA to about the recommended amount. As far as I know, a good indicator of the quality of the oil is a high ratio of EPA + DHA to total capsule size. e.g. a 1,000 mg capsule with only 250 mg of EPA + DHA is pretty weak, and probably not very economical.

For what it's worth, I found the Trader Joe's capsules to be a good value, and no fish burps either.

Also for what it's worth, I would carefully research the recommendations for how much to take, and look at the quality of evidence for various uses. Frankly, I find the recommendations to take huge doses of the stuff to be lacking in any factual basis for doing so.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Blackburn View Post
I've been informed that I'm not taking enough fish oil.
According to whom?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
Also for what it's worth, I would carefully research the recommendations for how much to take, and look at the quality of evidence for various uses. Frankly, I find the recommendations to take huge doses of the stuff to be lacking in any factual basis for doing so.
I can only offer anecdotal evidence but when I went form taking 2 capsules a day to 8 (the Costco) brand my HDL numbers went up 55, trig went down, LDL stayed the same. My doctor doesn't have an issue with me taking 8. Think her words were "If your stomach can handle it, go for it."
Old 10-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
I can only offer anecdotal evidence but when I went form taking 2 capsules a day to 8 (the Costco) brand my HDL numbers went up 55, trig went down, LDL stayed the same. My doctor doesn't have an issue with me taking 8. Think her words were "If your stomach can handle it, go for it."
And that's great - if it is working for you, and your doctor is on board, it's obviously a good way to go. As you wisely point out, however, this is an anecdote; your personal experience. This kind of thing really can't be extrapolated to the general population - it might work just as well for someone else. It might come with unacceptable amounts of loose stool side effects for someone else, too ("If your stomach can handle it...").

I'm not trying to argue or pick a fight with you on this, but I would also point out that there are a lot of steps between 2 capsules and 8. Could the same effect have been reached at, say, 4 capsules? Would taking 2 capsules for a longer time have reached the same result? Are there other factors that might have contributed to the changes in levels along with the fish oil - say, diet and exercise? I guess my point is there are a lot of factors to consider, and it's a complex system. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it doesn't control for other factors.

All the same, it's good that fish oil and whatever else you're doing are working for you. I might have issues with scientific methodology and evidentiary standards, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone their good health.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
I'm not trying to argue or pick a fight with you on this, but I would also point out that there are a lot of steps between 2 capsules and 8. Could the same effect have been reached at, say, 4 capsules? Would taking 2 capsules for a longer time have reached the same result? Are there other factors that might have contributed to the changes in levels along with the fish oil - say, diet and exercise? I guess my point is there are a lot of factors to consider, and it's a complex system. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it doesn't control for other factors.
Never hurts to ask. Diet and exercise about the same, been taking 2 capsules a day for about three years with real no effect. Then doing some reading on what others were suggesting to get desired effects I upped the ante. According to some I'm still below what they would suggest taking for a daily Omega 3 intake but I decided to go with what is considered by these people to be the low end of the scale. If this didn't work I might have increased the dosage to higher levels.