CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #1091
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

Jean-Paul, I don't think oatmeal is Paleo, unless you are just adding that on the side.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #1092
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Oatmeal is definitely not in the realm of Paleo acceptable foods, whether it's on the side or otherwise. However, there are far worse foods you could be eating and if oatmeal doesn't bother you and you don't mind losing the oh-so-coveted label of "paleo", go for it. As for the rest of your diet, I'd say you need more protein throughout the day. No need to throw out the yolks of your eggs, they are yummy.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #1093
Bryan Pergakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Paul Lara View Post
I occasionally will have egg whites and spinach or just the egg whites from 3 or 4 hardboiled eggs.
Substitute eggs for oatmeal in the morning and eat the whole egg. You also might want to cut down on the nuts a little bit and eat more meat.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #1094
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

Yeah I know the oatmeal definitley isn't part of the diet but I usually don't have time in the morning for anything else but yeah I'll replace it with a couple hard boiled eggs. Now I'm not completely paleo because I do drink 4 servings of the muscle milk protein powder which I about 160 calories per serving and 26g of protein. That's why I'm not eating that much meat throughout the day. Forgot to add that supplement part which I know isn't paleo anymore. But still how am I doing?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #1095
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Been on Paleo for 5 days and feel great! I have so much more energy, almost feel like I have a coffee buzz.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #1096
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Hall View Post
Been on Paleo for 5 days and feel great! I have so much more energy, almost feel like I have a coffee buzz.
Awesome! I was thinking the same thing tonight. Really, I think it comes down to the fact that when you give your body what it deserves and runs optimally on, it sort 'knows' what to do, and operates the way we've always been meant to, but lost over the last few generations, eras, millenia, whatever.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #1097
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
No need to throw out the yolks of your eggs, they are yummy.
throwing away/not eating egg yolks is next to blasphemy among many of us here
myself included.... I'd eat the damn shells if it wasn't so sharp!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #1098
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah I know the oatmeal definitley isn't part of the diet but I usually don't have time in the morning for anything else but yeah I'll replace it with a couple hard boiled eggs. Now I'm not completely paleo because I do drink 4 servings of the muscle milk protein powder which I about 160 calories per serving and 26g of protein. That's why I'm not eating that much meat throughout the day. Forgot to add that supplement part which I know isn't paleo anymore. But still how am I doing?
Well, if you're trying to be "Paleo," then you are not accomplishing that. Paleo is about eating REAL food. Right now, you are just eating a low calorie diet with some processed junk added. Dump the muscle milk and eat beef, chicken, fish. Dump the oatmeal and eat whole eggs and fresh fruit. I make eggs every morning, and it doesn't take any longer to fry an egg than to make a bowl of oatmeal. I would also replace the canned tuna with chicken or fish.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #1099
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Well, if you're trying to be "Paleo," then you are not accomplishing that. Paleo is about eating REAL food. Right now, you are just eating a low calorie diet with some processed junk added. Dump the muscle milk and eat beef, chicken, fish. Dump the oatmeal and eat whole eggs and fresh fruit. I make eggs every morning, and it doesn't take any longer to fry an egg than to make a bowl of oatmeal. I would also replace the canned tuna with chicken or fish.
I understand, i was just trying to save time with the protein shakes. Got it, i'm not gonna take that stuff anymore. No oatmeal, no muscle milk...

but why no canned tuna?!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #1100
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
I understand, i was just trying to save time with the protein shakes. Got it, i'm not gonna take that stuff anymore. No oatmeal, no muscle milk...

but why no canned tuna?!
canned tuna in general is fine...but some people worry about mercury levels from the tuna, and mark sisson recently wrote something about potential toxins leaching into the food from the metal cans.