CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-13-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
Jason Seales

Profile:
question about subbing fat blocks for carbs

BLUF: I'm at 20/14/38 blocks, with a goal of trying to lean out (10% BF, currently at 13%, tested with calipers). Should I increase my fat to 3X, 4X, or more because I feel like my performance is suffering (e.g., I'm bonking during METCONs)?

Aloha everyone,

Ok, here's the deal. 6"0, 34 years old, 218 lbs., and male. Been zoning for about 7 months now, but the last two weeks, have been in sort of a paleo zone, no grains, but still a little milk in the morning. I had been eating 16 blocks a day, because I still wanted to get leaner, but after doing some research on the boards and other places (Melissa Byers comes to mind), I upped my blocks to twenty. Then, I read on Robb Wolf''s blog that it would be helpful to sub out some carb blocks for fat blocks at a 3-1 ratio (fat to carbs). that put me at 20/14/38. Been doing that for about 3 weeks, and the fat seems to be coming off, but lately I feel like my performance has suffered. Last two times Cindy came up, I had 13 rounds, then 12 rounds just today! I am wondering if I need to increase the amount of fat, maybe go up to 3X fat? and if i do, do I do that from 20/20/20, which would put me at 20/20/60, and then sub out 6 carb blocks, which would put me at 20/14/78 (about 4X fat)? or should I triple the fat from where I currently am, which would actually put me at almost 6X fat (20/14/114)? I'm thinking it's gotta be the first way, but I'm not sure.

Also of note, I have been eating most of my fruit during my post workout meal, and also putting 50% of my blocks into that meal (as recommended by Robb Wolf). the rest of my blocks are fruit in the morning, and veggies or fruit at night (mostly apples, oranges, and pears...nothing too sweet.) Protein has been eggs, chicken, tuna, and deli meat, sometimes I make a smoothie in the morning with Muscle Milk protein powder, milk, and frozen fruit from costco, and eat nuts on the side for fat. I get all my fat from almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, and olive oil. I have not had a cheat meal in a week, nor have I desired one, because I am really trying to dial this diet in. Last thing, I'm taking 4 grams of fish oil per day, everyday.

Well, thanks in advance for any advice I receive...Mahalo!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Joey Harper

Profile:
Re: question about subbing fat blocks for carbs

Robb Wolf recommends 50% carbs right away as a starting point for many people. So for 20 blocks you would be at 20P/10C/50F. You could switch to this and continue putting half of your carb blocks post workout as he also suggest. Also it seems like you are eating a lot of fruit. Maybe try upping the veggies a lot, especially since you would only be at 10 carb blocks this way, it should be easier.

After sticking to this awhile you could re-evaluate and see if you still needed to up fat blocks, and if so proceed from there.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

How fast has the weight been coming off? If it's anything more than 2-3lbs a week, then your performance is going to suffer because you're dropping weight at an unhealthy speed. Since you say you've been short on energy, go ahead and increase fat to 2x. If that doesn't help your performance and you're still losing weight fast, go to 3x. Don't overthink it too much--it does get a little confusing when you try to figure out whether to add the extra fat blocks before or after you go 3x (like you mentioned with your question of 20/14/78 vs. 20/14/114) so the easiest answer is to just eat more fat if you're short on energy. It doesn't have to be in a perfect 2x or 3x ratio either...I'm at about 3x or 4x and will add or drop 10 fat blocks from week to week to see how it affects me.

As Joey said, eating more vegetables will help--fruit contains sugar (albeit of the natural variety) which will keep your insulin level higher than vegetables would. Since it's hard to eat 14 blocks of stuff like broccoli and spinach, you could cut your carb intake down to 10 like he mentioned, but I would eat more than the 50 fat blocks he recommended since you're already dragging energy-wise. Maybe 20/10/80 to start with and adjust from there based on how you feel.

Do you train at CF Oahu by any chance? I highly recommend checking them out if it fits into your schedule and money situation.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Jason Seales

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Do you train at CF Oahu by any chance? I highly recommend checking them out if it fits into your schedule and money situation.
I have been wanting to get there, but my schedule and proximity to the gym have been the sticking points on that.

thanks to both of you for the advice; I will go to 20/10/50, and maybe up my fat to 60, to see how I feel. I will also try to go with more veggies, and less fruit. will post results later.