CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-23-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Gary Shannon

Profile:  
I was just over to Dragon Door. Wow are they ever Kettle Bell crazy! Peronsally I can't see spending the money on a Kettle bell when dumbbells will do just as well. Better in many ways.

I know some of you guys are into the kettle bellsand like them so don't get upset with me. But I think it's just a great marketing job by Pavel. Overall dumbbells will do the same darn thing. And you can save the money for other things that you can't do with a dumbbell.

By the way I bought one tiny inexpensive item from Dragon Door and now they won't leave me alone. I get letters and email like crazy. Wow how obnoxious is that? Any of you guys experience this too?

That's just my read on it.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Kettlebells work a little better than dumbells for many exercises because they are more compact (at least the cast iron ones are.) Dumbells and plate-loaded kettlebells don't work as well for swings, cleans, jerks, and snatches because they are too wide.

Have you done a lot of swings and snatches and the like with both kettlebells and dumbells? What was your experience?

You can get cheaper kettlebells at New York Barbells. I picked up a couple and they work well. Or just use dumbells if that's what you like.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
Geoff Sample

Profile:

Gary, I hemmed and hawed about the price of Kettlebells, and how dumbells could do the same job. I felt that way without ever using one.

Now that I have used both, I'd have to agree with Lincoln. Suit yourself, but kettlebells are a different animal. Lifting them does NOT feel like lifting equally weighted dumbell.

Dismissing the value of a training tool because of overly-enthusiastic marketing and highly-charged devotees does not make sense. Don't miss out on a good tool based on faulty understanding of the real value (a combination of compact center of mass, displaced center of gravity relative to your hand, changes in leverage as the weight moves, and thick handles), or because you are turned off by how it is presented.

That said, I really ENJOY kettlebell lifting in a way I never enjoyed the same movements with dumbbells.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
Gary Shannon

Profile:  
I guess you can spend your money any way that you want. But, if kettle bells work in some ways that dumbbells don't, that means that dumbbells work in some ways that kettle bells don't.

You are saying I don't make sense. Well in my opinion you are the one not making sense. I'll stick to my dumbbells for economics and flexiblity. I can add or subtract as much weight as I want. I don't have to go out and buy additional kettle bells to add weight. And you can have the over hyped kettle bells with pavel and his over the top marketing crap.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:18 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I think KB's are a serious waste of $$

Gary-

You are not playing very nicely!
Old 03-23-2004, 09:25 PM   #6
Brian Hand

Profile:

Gary, I'm with you as far as the hype at dragondoor. Pavel has some good ideas, but if I had his ability to generate fanatics, I wouldn't screw around with kettlebells, I'd start a cult.

I'll also agree that dumbbells work better for some exercises. In fact I'll say most exercises. I think the KB is a poor choice for presses and rows.

But, you are wrong if you think dumbbells are as good as kettlebells for everything. Try doing swings between your legs with a 90 lb. dumbbell. You're going to break a shin. Plus, the flip - catch in the snatch is fun, and easier to balance than a dumbbell.

I bought a loadable kettlebell handle from PDA, so I can put whatever weight I want on. (No junk mail, either.)
Old 03-24-2004, 12:16 AM   #7
Ari Vuorte

Profile:

Robb can you be more specific why are KB's waste of money??
There are scientific studies that says they are very effective , haven't seen one yet though...
Old 03-24-2004, 09:23 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ari-

For the ~$400 I spent on a standard set of KB's I could have bought an olympic set (with bumper plates no less) and a 30, 50 and 70lb DB.

I almost have my world class athletic facility!

I may have people crawling up my hooo-ha for this but IMO the most efficacious KB movement is the swing. Everthing else from C&J to snatch bring about an element of muted hip function to make the trajectory/catch possible. I will admit that the flip and catch is kinda fun on snatches...but not ~$400 of fun!

The intensity of DB work can be a bit higher as one is not contending with the flip.

Something to keep in mind is that KB (or DB) balistic lifts are light years ahead of the muscle and fiction crap which had infiltrated virtually all strength and conditioning circles. Swings, presses and jerks are whole body, functional movements and they deliver the goods. I do however think that a set of 20, 40 and 60 lb DB's will provide much more variaty and stimulus.

Robb
Old 03-24-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Gary Shannon

Profile:  
Robert, great post, I agree with every word of it. Kettlebells are not useless at all, just way over priced. They are over the top with their marketing hype and think they can get away with charging $400 for the kettlebell set up. All they have to do is call you comrade. What a croc. Hey for that kind of money I will call you sweety.:kiss: No I won't kiss you!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:39 AM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Like I said, New York Barbell kettlebells are cheaper. A set of four - 20,35,50,75 lb. - will run $285. An equivalent set at Dragon Door - 18,36,53,72 lb. - goes for $440. Still overpriced for cast iron, but cheaper than a lot of things in life.