CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Too much protein and not enough veggies? Diet critique!

Ok. As you all guessed by my huge long thread before I just recently jumped on the "no processed, no sugar, low-carb" diet. I'm just wondering if I'm eating too much meat and protein and not enough veggies? I'm wondering if that will hamper my progress and cause me to retain too much weight.
I've been sick as a dog since Monday so I haven't worked out in 3 whole days! So I'm kind of worried I'm taking in way too many calories.

So I'll present what I've eaten this week and maybe some of you can judge if I'm getting too much meat and protein and not enough veggies.

Saturday
Lunch: 3 eggs, 2 piece bacon, small fruit salad, glass of milk
Dinner: 2 turkey hamburger patties with mushrooms, whole heaping of broccoli and cauliflower
Snack: Dill pickle

Sunday
Breakfast/Lunch: 3 eggs, 3 piece sausage, 1 orange
Dinner: 1 porkchop, a small side salad with green olives, green beans
(also the last day i worked out when i did that day's WoD scaled for buttercups)

Monday
Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs
Lunch: 3 eggs, 3 piece sausage, 3 piece bacon
Dinner: 1 piece chicken with garlic sliced on it, lots of broccoli, side of black beans (i know, not paleo)

Tuesday
Breakfast: Apple
Lunch: turkey and lettuce leaf sandwich(lettuce as bread), spinach salad with green and black olives, hard boiled egg, baby carrot sticks
Dinner: Veggie (baby carrots, bell pepper, onions, zuchinni, cauliflower) and turkey hamburger stew

Wednesday
Breakfast: Apple
Lunch: leftover stew, grapes, baby carrots
Dinner: have yet to eat it, and i'm feeling sick to my stomach so i may not eat it

So what do you think? Am I getting enough veggies and am I taking in too much protein? One of my problems is I'm hungry ALL the time on this diet. Am I not eating enough period?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Too much protein and not enough veggies? Diet critique!

Also, the past two days I've felt like I was going to puke everytime I thought about eating.

Is this just my body adjusting to all the nutrition and the lack of what it's used to seeing? Or is it mental?

BTW I said I was sick, but it's a sinus infection. Nothing to do with my stomach.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Eric Kropp

Profile:

It looks like your not eating enough in general
Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
James Compora

Profile:

i dont think you are getting to much of anything. seems like not enough of everything. if portions are your concern, get the zone block list and follow it for a week or 2 and get the idea of things. then eyeball them so you dont drive yourself nuts being OCD about weighing and measuring
Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Really? I figured maybe I was taking in too many calories. You don't think I'm eating enough at all? What should I do? Eat 2 pieces of chicken instead of one? Eat more at lunch?

I'm afraid to eat too many fruits because of the sugar.

Also, I've lost 7 pounds since Saturday. It's probably all water weight.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Max Lambert

Profile:

yah dude I'd eat more in general. definitely up the veggie intake, but intake as a whole should go up
Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Really? My meals seem pretty big to me. Like what would you add to some of them?

I take it by all the not eating enough you guys mean I'm going to lose fat (and muscle) if I continued down this path, but won't gain muscle or buff up? Right?
Am I eating so little that I could be in danger of the dreaded "starvation" effect happening to me?

Last edited by Jason R O'Dell : 01-28-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

On my last post on your other thread I was trying to point to the fact that for your size you are probably not eating enough. Infections have everything to do with diet,it's called an immune system and it's the first thing to weaken if you are under fed or over trained. 7 pounds in 3 days may prove this point. As mentioned there is a learning curve, you are eating less than me by about 500 cals and I weigh 165#. Add one more meal in there with lean meat(fish, turkey, chicken) nothing huge but an extra meal in the day, drink a lot of water and take some vitamins C and zinc and B at least.
The learning curve isn't always fun, but pay attention,be diligent and you will reap the rewards.

Don't worry you won'tbe starving for a long time yet, weak maybe,but not starving.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well how do I squeeze another meal in there with my schedule? I wake up and go to work. I work for 8 hours and get a 45 minute lunch. After work I head for the gym or to rugby practice and then afterwards I eat dinner. By that time it's nearly 8 so it's time to stop eating and prepare for bed.
I'm not being difficult, just honestly wondering where exactly to squeeze another meal in there at? Like you said, I'm learning.

I have a feeling that you're right about the not eating enough. Because I feel like if I continue down my current path I'm going to feel sick to my stomach thinking about my healthy food or feel so hungry and have nothing healthy around that I'm going to crack and grab a cheeseburger.

I'm just having trouble squeezing another meal in. Because honestly, I've eaten crappy food throughout my life that I really truly don't like most vegetables and healthy food. I find a lot of vegetables unappetizing. And honestly to get through my meals I've been force feeding myself veggies. I chew them up and then swallow them with a mouthful of water to get them down. I do this with every vegetable.
So maybe that's why this is so hard. I've taken out so much I like and replaced it with so much I don't like.

But dammit, I want to be healthy and lean and in shape. And if that means force feeding myself vegetables that I don't like and avoiding tacos then I'll do it.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:47 AM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Log your food intake into Fitday, then post. Will give people and you, exactly how much your eating.