CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:51 AM   #191
Lee Hill

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Am starting my first cycle today. Calculated 80% of all 1/3 and 5 rep maxes in all lifts. Should I just content myself to hit these as my 'PR' set for this first week, or use them for a mid set, say set 3 of 3x3?

I'm planning to err on the side of caution, as on a concerted effort to beat my ego right down in the gym at the moment. Also have a healthy respect for Kempie and the other guinea pigs, and my inate ability to go stupid early on in a new thing.

All comments and advice gratefully received.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:54 AM   #192
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Hill View Post
Am starting my first cycle today. Calculated 80% of all 1/3 and 5 rep maxes in all lifts. Should I just content myself to hit these as my 'PR' set for this first week, or use them for a mid set, say set 3 of 3x3?

I'm planning to err on the side of caution, as on a concerted effort to beat my ego right down in the gym at the moment. Also have a healthy respect for Kempie and the other guinea pigs, and my inate ability to go stupid early on in a new thing.

All comments and advice gratefully received.
Mate, the intent of the ramp up is to get near or two your PB loads whilst accomodating the volume of metcon and high rep sets. So figure out where you need to be each week and hit that. It's also an opportunity to nail form down with sub-maximal loads.

The ME sets may feel easy in the beginning, but if after a week or so you still have capacity to spare then start pushing the high rep stuff. Let that be your focus for a little while rather than pushing the limit with heavy.

As you are coming back from a tweak I reckon that would be a clever option.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-09-2009, 04:07 AM   #193
Lee Hill

Profile:

Great advice Kempie, wanting to square off form with little pointers Leon has been giving me. Am going to do the full intro cycle as prescribed, just deads and press this week, should give me more spark in the met-con and high rep stuff. Was starting to feel a bit heavied out and oppressed by PBs so will be nice to drop it back and squeeze the reps out.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #194
Michael Francis Romano

Profile:

thanks for the response man. one more question: my presses are really what are killing me. How would I go about focusing on pressing movements, and less on legs? Thinking about replacing front squat day with deadlift day, and adding bench press in the day after back squats.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #195
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Kempie, Bingo, or Jeff,

Is there a protocol for when you're stuck? Specifically, my press (always weak) I got 4 reps a week ago for my final set of what was supposed to be 5. Figured I could switch to 3's and try to go higher in weight this week, or try again and knock out the 5. Same weights, same result. I missed the fifth rep at the same weight. Next press day, I plan to drop to 5 x 3 and try to exceed the weight that I'm stuck at by a pound or two.

I realized that I'm likely to get stuck at 3's also within a couple weeks. Thoughts on how to proceed when that happens?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #196
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

Hi Lee,

Just to second what Kempie said: I promised myself not to try to beat any PRs in my first week. So I started at about 90% of my existing PR and stopped short of them for the whole of the first week. I'm really, really glad I did that. It's hard to describe just how worn-out I felt in the second week after the deadlift day - and had been pushing PRs in both squats and deadlifts. Especially considering that was after only two work days; normally in CF we do 3-day-on. It would have been much worse had I been trying to match/beat PRs in the first week.

I'm at the same point in week 3 right now and feel almost as drained as last week.

-Antun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
The ME sets may feel easy in the beginning, but if after a week or so you still have capacity to spare then start pushing the high rep stuff.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #197
Lee Hill

Profile:

Cheers Antun - really trying to wind ego in so have started exactly as prescribed - no squats today, just deads and press this week, even then at 80% max. Did 15min version of mainpage WOD, then some gymnastic playing.

I know how impatient I can get and how that pride generally preceeds a grim fall, so determined to play it safe as I intend hitting some big maxes after several cycles.

Good luck with your struggles.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #198
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
Kempie, Bingo, or Jeff,

Is there a protocol for when you're stuck? Specifically, my press (always weak) I got 4 reps a week ago for my final set of what was supposed to be 5. Figured I could switch to 3's and try to go higher in weight this week, or try again and knock out the 5. Same weights, same result. I missed the fifth rep at the same weight. Next press day, I plan to drop to 5 x 3 and try to exceed the weight that I'm stuck at by a pound or two.

I realized that I'm likely to get stuck at 3's also within a couple weeks. Thoughts on how to proceed when that happens?

Thanks in advance.
Scott, a couple of things to think about. First, are your metcon wod's impacting on your pressing day? Heavy thrusters or jerks on thursday or friday? These can severely hamper your pressing efforts ...

If not, then how about focussing on the high rep sets for a while. If you bring up the load you can press for reps that will almost certainly increase the heavier end of the spectrum too

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #199
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Scott, a couple of things to think about. First, are your metcon wod's impacting on your pressing day? Heavy thrusters or jerks on thursday or friday? These can severely hamper your pressing efforts ...

If not, then how about focussing on the high rep sets for a while. If you bring up the load you can press for reps that will almost certainly increase the heavier end of the spectrum too

Cheers, kempie
You're saying I shouldn't have done a push press heavy met con the day before my presses? I'm embarassed I didn't think of that. When I programmed that I wasn't expecting to be pressing the next day, but things worked out other than as planned.

Is focussing on the high rep sets a generally good way to work through sticking points?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #200
Ian Bowers

Profile:
Size gains on CFSB

My question is about gaining size on the CFSB program. I just finished an 8 week cycle of Rippetoe's starting strength while eating 4-5000 calories (paleo). Happy to say I put on 15lbs of clean weight. I was doing light Xfit workouts twice a week. I don't want to lose my strength gains and I would like to continue to put on size and strength. I was just wondering if anybody had tried CFSB on a high calorie diet and what their results were.