CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #181
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Hare View Post
Jeff, Bingo or Kempie,

Would you recommend implementing heavy Metcons into my CFSB workouts or should I just alter Main Page WODs to fit the allotted time? I have gone back over Bingo’s old posts and the picked out a bunch of his heavy workouts and heavy main page Metcons and I was going to mix them in to fit the prescribed times within the Strength Bias program. Any thoughts you may have on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lucas
Certainly the heavy metcons are an important component in the developement of useful strength with this program. They can leave a mark though so definitely err on the side of less rather than more. Until you are ready just tweak the main page stuff to suit your time constraints.

Hate to sound like a broken record but this is why the program is targeted to intermediate or advanced folks. You'll have enough awareness/ sensitivy/ experience with your own capacities to be able to judge this.

Once you start to add them keep this in mind. I think one of the key attributes of a heavy metcon is the load is ideally still something where we only put it down cos we're breathing too hard. So if you are going heavy then keep the reps and rounds short so muscular fatigue is not you're limiting factor.

3 - 5 rounds of Run 200m, 3-5 bw power cleans or
3-5 rounds of Row 250m, 3-5 1.5bw deadlifts or
3-5 rounds of 20 box jump, 3-5 bw push press.

On the flip side Heavy versions of CF classics may not fit the bill

Lizzie with 185lb power cleans will slow down to a slog for most. As will Diane with 315 deads. For those kinda couplets it may be worth dropping load or cutting reps to something like 12-9-6 for the weighted element while leaving the bodyweight element untouched.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #182
Lucas Hare

Profile:

Thanks Kempie
Old 03-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #183
Michael Halbfish

Profile:

It seems to me that Javorek style lifting complexes or complexes such as the Bear or Curtis P would be particularly good for the short metcon portions. These complexes would enable people to continue to train heavy while reaping metcon benefits and without burning out.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #184
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

Quick question about the 20-rep sets: take back squat for example. If I stop to take a few breaths but don't rack the weight, is that breaking the set? Or should I be shooting for all reps without pause before moving up in weight?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #185
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
Quick question about the 20-rep sets: take back squat for example. If I stop to take a few breaths but don't rack the weight, is that breaking the set? Or should I be shooting for all reps without pause before moving up in weight?
With squats as long as the weight is on your shoulders it is not rest. In fact 20 rep squats are also called "breathing Squats" because in order to finish them you are typically gasping desperately for air after the first 10-12 reps.

DL: the set ends if you let go of the bar. That said don't sit there and take a nap in between reps.

Press: same as squats, if your holding the bar it is not rest
Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #186
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

Perfect. Thanks, Robert.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #187
Jeff Martin

Profile:

I will emphasize Kempie's point.

I did the mainsite workout and really tried to minimize breaks:
10 rounds
3 pull ups, 45#
5 Strict Pull ups
9 Kipping pull ups

The next day Mike Hom and Connor were going to do a heavy metcon on film with Sevan and Carrey filming. The workout was:
5 rounds
3 Back squats, 1.5 x bodyweight
4 muscle ups
5 handstand push ups

Mike didn't show up, so I offered to jump in. I augured in hard! Engine fell out, wings came off. On video. Failed on the muscle ups. Had trouble holding the bar on my back. It was truly ugly. I was just wiped from the pull up WOD.

As with everything, check your ego.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #188
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Testimonial: 1 month in, CFSB is working great for me. My ramp up is over and I'm hitting PRs in both squat and deadlift, while maintaining linear progression. I did 7x1 C&J the other day and felt really strong, hit a BW C&J for the first time ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempie
Hate to sound like a broken record but this is why the program is targeted to intermediate or advanced folks. You'll have enough awareness/ sensitivy/ experience with your own capacities to be able to judge this.
5x5 this. I'm finding that being able to listen to my body and adjust on the fly is even more important with CFSB. Sometimes I'll feel awesome and add extra stuff. Other days, I can tell I need to back off, or take two rest days instead of one. Rather than mathematically following the formula, I've settled in on following the principles, especially ascending sets to PR, ratcheting between x3 and x5, and high reps / heavy short metcon to finish.

One thing that seems to work good is combining the hi rep sets and the metcon, especially on the deadlifts. Today after the ME DL work, I did a quick couplet with DL 250lbs x15-12-9 and 400m runs. Well under 10 min, felt good, and shouldn't affect my recovery.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #189
Michael Francis Romano

Profile:

what would be the advantage of texas method programming in terms of strenght and mass gain over cfsb?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #190
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Michael, you'd have to look at the aims of the Texas method versus those of CFSB. From what I understand the TM's primary focus is strength and mass gain (one or the other maybe?) whereas CFSB is directed towards getting stronger while substantially maintaining your metcon capacity and skill levels associated with Crossfit workouts.

If mass gain is your primary goal then this may not be the program for you. You can pack some meat on but that is not the primary goal and other approaches may be more effective.

Cheers, kempie