CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-05-2007, 12:35 AM   #1
Mike Shaw

Profile:
Due to decreasing available time for family and impending ultimatums I am trying to start to get up earlier and get straight into a workout.

My question is after literally fasting for 6-8hrs overnight then doing a practical warmup then performing CF my body felt like it was going to go into shutdown. Hoping to condition my body so as to function at close to max whilst operating on min oxygen, never EVER had I felt this bad before (previous workouts were all done after work approx 7pm) I have a very basic understanding of how the body works and after the workout I knew my body needed something but I just couldnt supply them with a breakfast for fear of having Pukie come sit at the breakfast table.

This was the result of trying this for the first time and for safety sake I did this on a day off from work - thankfully I did because approx 2 hours later I was Dead Man walking and promptly fell back into bed for a sleep.

I really like the idea of the extra time afforded by doing these workouts and still want to continue but in my CF searches for relating post's minimal was found and for fear of shutdown I dont know if it's the right thing to do....

Many many sincere thanks for all input and I hope this might help someone in the future

Regards

Old 06-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
James Napier

Profile:
I found eating some frozen grapes after dinner and just before bed to help with a little bit extra blood sugars before my morning wod. Also, I am fasting from 7pm to 1pm but workout around 7am. The only time I really feal like crashing after a morning wod is if I didn't eat enough vegies the day before. Then I crave a sweet potato and a nap; afterwards awaken supercharged.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I'm an avid morning lifter. I normally have to do about 10 to 20 minutes of passive cardio to get my eyes open. Then 10 minutes of Yoga. Further, I'm not adverse to using a carb free energy drink or the ocassoinal no-doz to get the blood flowing. The emphasis is on "ocassional."

I try to avoid carbs prior to my morning workouts because I use them more for turning on the "fat burning" engine. Lord knows I need it.

All the best, Arden
Old 06-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Food or no food, I always feel sluggish in my AM weekend workouts.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
When I work up in the morning I get up a little earlier than I actually need to get ready, just to give my body time to really wake up and get up to speed before diving into the workout. If I feel hungry I'll have a couple gulps of Kefir, so I don't spend the whole workout thinking about how hungry I am.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
Martin Schap

Profile:
I can't work out with no food in me. When I have to do a metcon early in the morning I wake up and eat a lot of food first, then sit around for about 15 minutes having some coffee, then do the CFWU and get to it. When I say a lot of food I truly mean a lot. At a minimum this would be something like a banana or two, toast or bagel with peanut butter, and probably some leftovers from last night's dinner. The only thing I avoid is dairy. I find that as long as I take some time before starting the warmup I'm fine, and not eating is a guaranteed way to end up dry heaving in the shower.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Two things to note. I think it was Charles Poliquin who made the point that we are able to give the greatest amount of strength output three and ten hours after waking. This means that you will most likely perform somewhat sub par if you train immediately after waking. That being said I have spent years training at 5:00, 4:30, 5:30... and I find that the three biggest things are A) Hydration B) Food C)15-25 min.
Get up. Eat a banana and some yougurt. Drink a bunch of water. Keep moving around. Then hit the exercise... see how that goes. Just make sure to eat your recovery meals... and get some carbs in you. The body needs them at that point.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Joseph Hart

Profile:
One thing that I found is that when my nutrition sucked or I ate alot of carbs in the evening, AM work outs were tough. When I kept the nutrition on the straight and narrow it was good. I also noticed that AM workouts got better as my fitness improved. Really pay attention to what you eat in the evening. I wouldn't give up on the AM workouts, yet. If its just not working, I have had good luck having my kids "workout" with me when I did workout in the evening.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
Mike Shaw

Profile:
Thanks for all the input - everyone.....

Ian/: Does point c) refer to the fact that these points (a&b) were to happen over 15-25mins....
Also what would the ideal "recovery meal" be.... I am hoping to adjust my diet a little better from years of going straight to work after waking 30mins prior. It would consist of some zone food - omelette etc or shake with 2 pcs fruit and some almonds etc...

Also referring to Ian's and Arden comments do you find that your strength outputs are pretty consistent as you sound as though getting up early and hitting it hard is the norm....
This is fairly new and a bit daunting but the challenge is exciting ... allbeit a little ---- lot harder than first anticipated.

Once again thanks for the responses in advance
Old 06-06-2007, 06:33 AM   #10
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I think my strength is normally better with lunch time or afternoon workouts.

I try to get two a.m. workouts a week and one to two lunch time workouts a week. The lunch workouts are normally when I train with the little guy who won the WSM. So it's really unfair for me to say that definitively.

In the past, when I was more regimented with the a.m. workouts, my strength fluctuated considerably. I would like to say I was good for two to three Ballzout sets a session. But that was dependent upon the movements. When I incorporated the OLY lifting, I had to be very mindful and focus on volume moreso than ME.

I would like to add, and I don't think I noted it earlier, but I take two scoops of whey and a big tablespoon of almond butter about 30 mintues before this A.M. session. Right before the session is when I drink the energy drink or pop a no doz. Then I take a handful of BCAAs with some really cold water. I also sip on the really cold water throughout the workout. Keeps me on my toes. I think.

All the best,
Arden