CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Jaime Delgado

Profile:
I LUV crossfit Ive been doing crossfit for 9 months and have gone from 180 to 190 LBs Im 5"9
Which is great but my running times have gotten slower... sure I can finish with gas in the tank but much slower than before and less pullups from 20 before crossfit, to 15 is this the norm??
Old 04-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
sounds like insufficient recovery. plotting progress, over time, you should always see improvement. not daily, maybe not weekly, but a steady upward growth.
i suspect your running times get worse the further you go since crossfit tends to be high intensity short duration in nature. you may need to skew your workout plan a bit if run times are important.
-----------------------

dy try n
Old 04-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Kevin Burns

Profile:
what distance running are you doing ?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Jaime Delgado

Profile:
I test myself quarterly on Pullups,pushups,situps and a 3-mile run my time on the run have gone to the 20+ min mark, where before i was getting 19min and pullups have gone down too, Im going to try to put on emphasis on cardio... Im just suprised how I have gain muscle off this progran...without a single Bicep curl
Old 04-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
John McBrien

Profile:
I'm relatively new to the CrossFit methodology, but from my understanding many athletes utilize CF in addition to their sport. If your run performance has suffered, then you may want to supplement the WODs with some additional running.

Also, is it possible the weight gain has had a negative impact on your running ability?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
Connie Morreale

Profile:
i'm with john. but i also think you should scale the wods if you have not already, so youre not toasted when you run.

the 10 lbs can definetly increase your run times, especially if you put it on quickly. picture running 3 miles with a 10lb dumbell. i think it would add a minute to almost anybody's time.
-------------------------

dy try n

(Message edited by Connie_m on April 25, 2007)
Old 04-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Chris Spealler

Profile:
Jamie,
Don't know if this will help but I do remember reading in one of the CF journals that CrossFit type workouts will increase speed, power, agility, etc. and maintain your endurance. I remember someone posting a similar question and coach asking them what their diet was like... may have something to do with it as well.

I have also noticed gains and losses in my strength. Something to keep in mind is total fitness. My power has gone down (max squat, bench), but my met con has improved a ton. I think things tend to level out while CrossFitting and you find exceptional fitness across the board. Hope this is of some help to you.

Chris
Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
John McBrien

Profile:
Following up on what Chris said, I have read some people mentioning that their 1RMs have gone done in lifts in exchange for better overall General Physical Preparedness.

With that in mind, also consider your goals. Do you want a faster run time? Are you concerned about gaining more muscle like you already have? Are you more concerned about strength or 1RM?

If any one of those, or others, are your primary focus, then tweak CF to fit your needs. Alternatively, like I said before you can also add extra emphasis on your goal in addition to WODs.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Since doing Crossfit I've gained 30lbs of muscle (over time) and when I'm RESTED, my mile is about 5:30. Consistent miles run around 6:30-7:00 when I really want to push it. (Of course knowing that didn't stop me from cramping on my recent PT test, but I guess that's a different story!).

Be sure you have plenty of rest, the kool-aid by itself will help you with running fast, and unless you're shooting for a specific goal and/or distance should be good.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Samantha Preuninger

Profile:
Some (maybe even all) of the run time increase may be due to the weight gain. Even if the weight gain is 100% quality muscle weight, you will likely get slower on runs longer than sprinting distance. That's why you never see big buff distance runners.

Since you didn't gain much weight, the weight gain is probably muscle, and the runs aren't super long, an endurance run every week or so should get you back up to speed.