CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
Nicholas Brosko

Profile:
advanced sports nutrition

has anyone read this book it really pushes the point to eat a high carb diet low fat and moderate protein to get the best body compostion. i wanted to know what people thought of this since alot of you do paleo diets. it says that diets high in protein do little to help bulid extra muscle (i'm talking 1g per lb in bw) and says that most of the protein we eat gets burned as fuel or stored as fat. i've been eating 1g per lb bw for years now and it made me think if i should cut back and push some more carbs instead? any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: advanced sports nutrition

So um, what happens to the fat and carbs then? They both get stored as muscle? Dude protein is how you build muscle. I have not read the book but it sounds like a book for endurance runners. If you look at endurance runners' diets, almost all of them eat alot of carbs, little fat and little protein. Look at their body comp, it's called skinny fat. They are really skinny (because they need to be in order to run such long distances) but they have no muscle whatsoever, it's all fat.

If you don't eat enough protein to support your lean body mass, then you will lose muscle, plain and simpe. In order to figure out how much protein you need to eat daily in order to maintain your LBM, do:

weight x BF% (in decimal form) = BF

weight - BF = lean body mass

There is no one diet to get the best body composition. Everyone is unique and has different macronutrient needs. I tried the Zone and it turned out to be too much carbs for me, so I ate more fat. Right now my intake is comprised of around 40-50% fat, 30-35% protein, and 20-25% carb. This works well for me and I am in the best shape of my life due to it. Try tinkering around with your diet, I am sure you will find out that high carb is probably not the way to go to achieve the best body comp.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

uuum, has what you've been doing working for you?
If yes, continue, if no change it.
There are ten million different opinions and advice on diet. All of which may be right or wrong for you depending on your activities, physiology and goals.
Try some, experience what works,keep it. Ditch what doesn't work.
End of story.

For example more protein and fat have helped me as an endurance athlete,even though a million valid sources say it shouldn't. My GF needs way more carbs and less protein. The right diet is the one that performs.

Last edited by Thomas Bailly : 09-04-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add last paragraph
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Who wrote the book and when was it written?

Sounds like an endurance book. If you lift heavy and do a lot of other anaerobic work, protein may be the most crucial nutrient you can take in.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 AM   #5
Eddie Watts

Profile:

what a load of bull!
the body can store protein as fat, but is VERY unlikely to do so as it is very inefficient.
carbs on the other hand are very easily stored as fat.
how od IS this book
Old 09-05-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
Nicholas Brosko

Profile:

it was written in 2006 i think
Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 AM   #7
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Look at their body comp, it's called skinny fat. They are really skinny (because they need to be in order to run such long distances) but they have no muscle whatsoever, it's all fat.
Joe did you watch any of the long distance events in the Olympics? Did you see one "skinny fat" runner. Yes they are very lean, up to 20% below average body weight for their height. But they certainly are not fat. Elite male runner often are about 5-8% body fat.

The term "skinny fat" can just as easily be applied to the average gym fitness enthusiast or the average chap in a Crossfit affiliate. It's not applicable to elite athletes. Don't confuse the guy you see plodding around the park with Samuel Kamau Wanjiru who runs a marathon at a faster pace than most people on this board (myself included) run a 400 m.

Nicholas the higher your protein intake the greater the percentage of said protein is catabolised. Not a big issue. I agree with Joe that you should use LBM to calculate your requirement and that 1g per lb of LBM seems a good starting point. After that use fat and carbs to cover your energy requirements. The ratio will depend on your metabolism, activity levels, and personal taste. The Zone seems a good place to start for most people. Tweak as needed.

FYI most mainstream nutrition books are aimed at endurance athletes as that's the biggest audience.