CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Jim Broun

Profile:
Heavy versus Fast?

I am sure this has been addressed many times, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for in the forum...

I am about six months into Crossfit, and am not strong enough (yet) to do some of the WODs at the prescribed weight. I know this is fairly common, as sooooo many people are scaling their workouts with lighter loads or fewer reps. I was doing OK with the WODs, and then the weights and reps have all been bumped up in the past three weeks (a good thing). This has made me wonder which method will achieve better results.

In order to eventually get to the level where I can start putting up a sub-5-minute Fran with the prescribed weight, should I focus more on pushing the prescribed weight, or scale the weight down so I can do the reps with greater speed?

For example: I can do the 95lb thrusters in Fran (21-15-9) just fine without breaking the set up. But yesterday's Fran-ish WOD had me doing 135lb thrusters (15-12-9). Needless to say, I could get only about 5-7 reps before I had to take a break. I tried scaling this down to 115lbs, and was able to do the entire workout as prescribed (completely whipped of course).

If the goal is to be able to increase overall fitness, which direction would work best:
a) doing the WOD as-prescribed, even if it means taking several breaks to complete each set.
b) scale the weight down just enough so that you reach muscle failure / almost failure at the completion of each set.
c) doesn't really matter which path you choose, as they both accomplish the same thing over a given span of time.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Heavy versus Fast?

Short answer is both. Heavy and broken has a different flavour then lighter and fast/unbroken.

Or do an MEBB (max effort black box) type of setup where your middle WOD day (day 2) is an ME lifting day to build more strength for the WODs.

Just dig into it, there's no rush to get up to "Rx'd" as there is no finish line for fitness, only a horizon. (can see it but never quite reach it heh)
Old 08-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Jim Broun

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Heavy versus Fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Short answer is both. Heavy and broken has a different flavour then lighter and fast/unbroken.

Or do an MEBB (max effort black box) type of setup where your middle WOD day (day 2) is an ME lifting day to build more strength for the WODs.

Just dig into it, there's no rush to get up to "Rx'd" as there is no finish line for fitness, only a horizon. (can see it but never quite reach it heh)
Alrighty then...
I kind of figured as much. It isn't like I am rushing into anything at 40 years old, but if one method was preferred over the other, I would have leaned that way.

I like the MEBB suggestion, and will adjust accordingly so that I am attacking this from both sides (heavier AND faster).