CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Joe Birch

Profile:
Great progress with SS but want to incorporate CF

Hi, basically i've been doing SS strength on and off now for around a year, but still making great gains in strength on the novice program (as I've been doing it on and off around my rugby seasons).

Although I would like to start doing some CF along side the strength work.. how do you guys think i should should program this? Obviously I would no longer to be able to do SS as prescribed and do CF as well without hindering either one, but I would still like to continue making some progress in squats, deads and cleans, press and bench.

I've got a few ideas but thought I'd ask you guys what you thought.

Thanks, Joe.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Great progress with SS but want to incorporate CF

If that's the case, then it's probably time to say goodbye to Starting Strength, and develop your own MEBB (max effort 'Black Box') routine. Lots of info about that if you do a search on the boards.

Generally it goes something like

WOD-ME-WOD-REST

instead of WOD-WOD-WOD-REST

Your ME days can be pretty much whatever you want to work on; could even do the Starting Strength routines on those days, as there's nothing particularly magical about them.

Make sure you're getting plenty of rest and proper nutrition before going into it all out though.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:12 AM   #3
Joe Birch

Profile:

I understand the basic concepts of ME black box... If im correct you work on developing one exercise per session or week (not sure), i'm worried that working full body SS style will fry me too much for the WOD's; also worried that because i'd be training full body I would be hard pushed to hard pick CF workouts that arn't going to be in some way effected by the strength workout.

Also if I was reducing the strength training to 2x/week would I alter the rep scheme's from the original protocol (i.e. go 4x5 or 5x5 instead of the 3x5 i've been progressing with)?
Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Joe;

You worry too much.
Review past threads, design your own program that works for you, keep / post a log.
End of story.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Justin Algera

Profile:

Don't know if you are interested in Olympic Lifting, but the Performance Menu WODs usually have some type of lifting with a smaller metcon component to it.