CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Ben O'Leary

Profile:
A few questions about kettlebells for a rookie.

I am new to crossfit and am very interested in making a garage gym. However, it will probably take me some time to put together all the equipment, which is fine, since I have some serious catching up to do to complete the WOD's. Anyway I wanted to ask which equipment I should start looking at first (I currently have a door pull-up bar and a jump rope). Kettlebells caught my eye, and I had a few questions about them.

1) Is it better to start with one or two? Or should I get one, buy some other equipment, then get a second one?

2) Where is the best place to get them? Is it better to order them from a website or just get them used? The websites I have been looking at are; dragon door, Mike Mahler's site, and Max kettlebells. Also, which brands have the best quality?

3) What are the best books or websites to check for workouts? (other than crossfit of course ) Again, Mike Mahler's site caught my attention.

Thanks for the help, this site is great and I can't believe I haven't heard of it before.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Chris Robinson

Profile:
Re: A few questions about kettlebells for a rookie.

Here are three other threads found in the Equipment section that deal with kettelbells. Search for "kettlebells" and I'm sure you can come up with several more.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ht=kettlebells

I cannot answer your questions as well as some individuals on here will be able to, but I have Dragon Door KBs and love them. I got them off of ebay, saving a considerable amount of money over buying them from the DD website.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Michael A. Krivka

Profile:

Ben -

Check the lins provided by Chris for some recent discussions on KB's.

Here are my thoughts on your questions:
1) Is it better to start with one or two? Or should I get one, buy some other equipment, then get a second one?
One is probably good enough to start with, but if you have the extra cash you should get two so that you can work on some double-kb exercises once you've got the technique dialed in. Think about going light as opposed to heavy for your first KB purchase - most guys find that the 34# KB is more than enough of a challenge to keep them busy for quite a while... especially if you are using it for WOD's or MetCon.

2) Where is the best place to get them? Is it better to order them from a website or just get them used? The websites I have been looking at are; dragon door, Mike Mahler's site, and Max kettlebells. Also, which brands have the best quality?
Good info in the links provided...

3) What are the best books or websites to check for workouts? (other than crossfit of course ) Again, Mike Mahler's site caught my attention.
Mike's website has workouts on it but I also think that Eugene has quite a few KB workouts on his CrossFitPC website that you can download. If you are unsuccessful at finding any I can forward to you a PDF I created with a bunch of workouts listed.

Best of luck to you!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Scott Mahn

Profile:

I'm, also a newb. I hope this is chiming in more than thread hijacking but I've got a couple of questions too.

1. Should one's first KB be sized for two hand swings or one handed wok like cleans and snatches? I'm guessing a two handed swing would want more weight than a snatch.

2. If one wanted to invest in a KB video which do you recommend? I'm aware of Pavel and Martone. Are there others? Is there a best to begin with?

Michael, hope you don't mind but I'm PMing you my email for your PDF. Cheers.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mahn View Post
I'm, also a newb. I hope this is chiming in more than thread hijacking but I've got a couple of questions too.

1. Should one's first KB be sized for two hand swings or one handed wok like cleans and snatches? I'm guessing a two handed swing would want more weight than a snatch.

2. If one wanted to invest in a KB video which do you recommend? I'm aware of Pavel and Martone. Are there others? Is there a best to begin with?

Michael, hope you don't mind but I'm PMing you my email for your PDF. Cheers.
1. Get a 35 Lb one, or two. This is often adequate for both purposes.

2. Refer to the links posted
Old 10-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
Jason M Struck

Profile:

great source:

muscledriver

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...FN+index.html+
Old 10-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Ben O'Leary

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: A few questions about kettlebells for a rookie.

Thanks for all the great info guys, I can't wait to get them.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Rob Wegner

Profile:

Book wise I'd like to add Ross Enamait's "Infinite Intensity" and "Never Gymless." Great no frills info wit limited equipment. If you buy either you won't be sorry.
Rob