CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I'm loving crossfit but want to incorporate a martial art training with it, something that can transfer well into self defence, should I need it; give me discipline, flexibility and agility as well as keeping up other aspects of fitness, shedding fat as well.

Locally all that is available is :
Aikido
Kung Fu style Tong Bei/ Xin Yi
Judo
Japanese Goju-Kai Karate-Do
Kickboxing
Tae Kwon Do

I am interested in something with fair bit of contact as well.

Any advice as to what I should choose?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Gary Turner

Profile:
Hi!

All of the above have something good to offer for you, all in different measures. I suggest you try a few, find out which ones you like, which ones have good instructors, therefore helping you make your mind up.

Its worth noting that Aikido and Judo don't incorporate the strikes of the others, but those that think there isn't any contact should get slammed to the ground by a judo fighter!! The contact levels may also vary for the others too.

By way of self defence, the best that these martial arts have to offer is that it will make you more alert and more able to react to a situation before it gets too out of hand, enabling you to control it without fighting...a much better option!

Try them and see what you like!

Best regards,

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
I would try the Kickboxing and Judo first. You will find out real quick if you really want to get punched in the head or slammed on the ground. If you find you don't want that, then try the others.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Matt Munson

Profile:
Mitchell,

Most schools will offer a couple classes or even a week of classes for free. I'd suggest you try all of them.

What "style" of martial art the school teaches is only part of what makes a school a good or a bad one.

Try as many classes as you can for free and watch even more. How much attention do the students get from the main instructor? Alot or does he/she only teach the "advanced" classes?
Take a good look at the students that have been at it for years at a given school. What is their skill level like? Are the students friendly and helpfull to each other?

Even with the fact that you are looking for a school with a fair amount of contact in it, does the school promote safety in practice?

Are the instructors hardcore traditionalists or open-minded to other techniques and styles?

Look deep into each of the schools and I'm sure you'll find the right one for you. Just going by what's on the door isn't really telling you as much as you need to know.

Matt
Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I agree with Matt, kickboxing and Judo offer skills that can be used in real fights more so than the others.

If you don't like either of those (they might not be good schools!), the others will develope athletic atributes, but don't be fooled, their skill set has been proven ineffective in reality combat competition.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
David Stegman

Profile:
I also agree...either Judo or Kickboxing.

I would prefer Judo though. I think you would get more out of that over kickboxing but that's just from my personal experience.