CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: Greetings!

so... do you CrossFit?
Are you interested in nutrition for optimal athletic performance? Can you help inform us regarding the effects of certain foods and dietary practices on recovery and adaptation?
And yes, how much do you squat? How much do you want to squat? What are you doing to get there?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
Ian Strand

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
so... do you CrossFit?
Are you interested in nutrition for optimal athletic performance? Can you help inform us regarding the effects of certain foods and dietary practices on recovery and adaptation?
And yes, how much do you squat? How much do you want to squat? What are you doing to get there?
People are getting more and more obnoxious on this board. Buddy was just posting a greeting. Relax.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Strand View Post
People are getting more and more obnoxious on this board. Buddy was just posting a greeting. Relax.
Those were fair questions, and I don't think Ian Nigh meant any offense. First hand experience with hard training can be very informative.

Great to have you on board, Matthew. There are some good discussions that go on here, though be ready for some people who will be dogmatic in their viewpoints.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
Ian Strand

Profile:

Fair enough, maybe I mistook the tone.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Hello Matthew! Ok so im intrigued, what brought you here? Naturopath huh? Thats interesting. If you have time what would a "perfect diet" look like to you? Also what would a good training regimen look like? Im not asking for you to spend valuable time describing every detail, more like some generalities. Also I too would like to know how much you currently squat, and whether or not you are a crossfitter.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #16
Matthew Marturano

Profile:

Thanks for the welcome. To answer a few questions:

I do not know very much about CrossFit and only found this site very recently. I expect I will learn about it more as I spend time here. What drew me to this site was that it looked to me like a community of people who are keenly interested in nutrition as it relates to performance enhancement and decreased recovery time.

I have knowledge and opinions to share, though I am most interested in hearing from all of you what you have found to work for you, especially with respect to diet and nutrition. I want to know what has stood up to testing "in the field" and this seems to me like a community where people will tell it like it is.

I also have a special interest in the fields of nutrigenomics and epigenetics, so if there is anybody here with knowledge of experience in those areas, speak up!

I will be sure to weigh in on the bananas after a thorough read. Although I can say right now that bananas are probably a good choice for some people and a poor choice for others, depending upon the situation.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #17
Lisa Jeansonne Johnston

Profile:

I will be sure to weigh in on the bananas after a thorough read. Although I can say right now that bananas are probably a good choice for some people and a poor choice for others, depending upon the situation.

LoL! Sounds like the majority consensus on the banana thread!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Those were fair questions, and I don't think Ian Nigh meant any offense. First hand experience with hard training can be very informative.
Right, there are plenty of Dr.'s out there who give advice to people who train, who don't train. Meanwhile, there are plenty of experts in the CF world that do actually train that can give great nutrition advice. Wolf for example. I just don't need nutrition advice from someone who doesn't do CF or squat for that matter. Just saying my opinion.

Moreover, what makes this community great, well one thing, is that many of us actually read the studies, and some of us can even tell if the studies are any good or not. So, regurgitation from a nutritionist is not necessary, again IMO.

Still don't know how much he squats, anyone who doesn't squat is suspect right of the bat. Just saying...
Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #19
John Corona

Profile:

Are you here to let us know about a business opportunity that involves acai berries?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Corona View Post
Are you here to let us know about a business opportunity that involves acai berries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Marturano View Post

I have knowledge and opinions to share, though I am most interested in hearing from all of you what you have found to work for you, especially with respect to diet and nutrition. I want to know what has stood up to testing "in the field" and this seems to me like a community where people will tell it like it is.
This is a very cool statement coming from someone presenting themselves as a nutrition expert. Some people will throw around a lot of jargon and studies, but don't actually have any experience. No matter how many studies one has, there is something to be said for first hand experience: implementing different things, seeing some work well, some work not so well.

Quote:
I can say right now that bananas are probably a good choice for some people and a poor choice for others, depending upon the situation.
And the doc side steps his first question! Nicely done, sir. Just joking around. Looking forward to hearing from you in the future.